stupid question time. re: sat nav mount.

gazza12adv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm cutting the canbus plug off a nav 5/6 4 button cradle to fit a din plug for ease of use when fitting this mount to either of my Suzuki TL1000s's.

I'm pretty sure I only need the
Red live
Black neutral
Purple wire not needed.
Just wondered what the purple wire is actually for or is it needed to power the buttons on the mount.
The other socket I will not be using at all .
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20190113_150124.jpg
    IMG_20190113_150124.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 420
I believe that it's some sort of pulse driven off the speedometer, perhaps to try to counteract GPS signal loss.

Yes Bear is correct

The wiring is as follows

+12V
Gnd
+10V (Speed Pulse)

If your nav supports it then i'd say go for it,

If not, cut he plug off but leave generous tails ,

then when you wire it back in, leave the +10V taped off

However looking at you lead, it looks like the +10v is either taped off in the harness sheath, or may be bridged to the +12V feed

If your fitting to a Din plug , you can only use +12V and Gnd .. Do a continuity and see which wires are which

If all three give continuity, one has been bridged, which means you will need to snip one .. Id say the purple ;)

Thanks for the info. The 3 wires do go in separately into the canbus plug. Not bridged. So it's just a case of using the red and black wires then which is what I thought. I have another 4 button cradle on my GSA and will be using this only on the TL' s occasionally using a ram mount. Hense fitting the din plug for ease of removal.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20190113_190650.jpg
    IMG_20190113_190650.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 344
Thanks for the info. The 3 wires do go in separately into the canbus plug. Not bridged. So it's just a case of using the red and black wires then which is what I thought. I have another 4 button cradle on my GSA and will be using this only on the TL' s occasionally using a ram mount. Hense fitting the din plug for ease of removal.
Thanks again.

IF you probe the Purple wire with a multi meter for continuity does it show continuity?

IF you probe the Purple wire with a multi meter for continuity does it show continuity?
Not too sure as I understand, do you mean check the red and purple aren't connected,
If so I'lll check tomorrow,

Not too sure as I understand, do you mean check the red and purple aren't connected,
If so I'lll check tomorrow,

Yes and no lol

Check continuity on all wires - you should have continuity on 2 out of the 3 wires ie Red / White & Brown/black - Assuming theyve used those wires for +12V and GND

But if you have continuity on the purple wire as well as the red & black then its been bridged

If you dont know how to check continuity - do as follows

Red wire from multimeter to White wire in plug Black wire from multimeter to red wire in plug(other end) - continuity Y/N? should be Y

Red wire from multimeter to Brown wire in plug Black wire from multimeter to Black wire in plug(other end)- continuity Y/N? Should be Y

Red wire from multimeter to Brown wire in plug Black wire from multimeter to Purple wire in plug(other end) - continuity Y/N? Should be N

Red wire from multimeter to White wire in plug Black wire from multimeter to Purple wire in plug(other end) - continuity Y/N? Should be N

In short if you get continity on the Purple wire it has been bridged to either the White or Brown wire

It should read like this White - Red = continuity - Brown / Black = continuity Purple / white = no continuity Purple / Brown = no continuity

Which end goes into the cradle & which end the loom

Now you are totally confusing matters even more, both ends that are in my picture go to the bike loom, the one with the black end and white and brown wires will not be used,
I have exactly the same cradle on my 06 gsa and it only uses the white only plug, cradle works fine with my Nav 5.
The other socket works on the later gs's for extra functions that my 06 doesn't have, and of course my old TLS's won't have.
The white canbus plug is the only one I will be using and was just asking it I needs the purple wire for anything?
I guess I will find out if I just connect the red and black wires in the same way I connected the red and black on the Garmin 660 cradle I've been using on my TLS's for the last couple of years.

If the Nav 5 cradle follows the thinking of the Nav 2 then the two-pin connector is for audio for bikes like the RT with a built-in sound system.

If the Nav 5 cradle follows the thinking of the Nav 2 then the two-pin connector is for audio for bikes like the RT with a built-in sound system.
Which is why I stated in the first couple of posts that I wouldn't be using it. Mr santa seems to have got the wrong end of the stick and thought one end in my photo went to the bike and the other end to the cradle. See new photo below.

Attachments

• IMG_20190114_091703.jpg
    IMG_20190114_091703.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 299
That photo makes perfect sense. To fit the cradle onto your Suzukis, would it be possible to buy either a length of scrap wiring harness or just the connector itself to save cutting up the wiring to the cradle?

That photo makes perfect sense. To fit the cradle onto your Suzukis, would it be possible to buy either a length of scrap wiring harness or just the connector itself to save cutting up the wiring to the cradle?

I did think of that but I've got a din socket on both a TL's by the dash and won't be leaving the cradle on all the time like I do on my gsa, so a quick plug in using the din plug would be easiest, besides I would still have the purple wire conundrum to figure out,

Thinking about it a bit more, the 4 button cradle on my gsa is connected through canbus, when its shut down by the canbus I can put my Nav 5 onto the cradle and the four buttons work on the Nav without it being powered up so this leaves me to believe that the purple wire isn't needed to power the mount at all,

Thinking about it a bit more, the 4 button cradle on my gsa is connected through canbus, when its shut down by the canbus I can put my Nav 5 onto the cradle and the four buttons work on the Nav without it being powered up so this leaves me to believe that the purple wire isn't needed to power the mount at all,

Confirmed, just plugged the Nav 5 into the new cradle, the 4 buttons work the Nav 5 perfectly even though its not connected to a power supply, funnily though when I removed the Nav 5 from the cradle it still asked if I wanted to carry on on battery power because it had been disconnected,:nenau

No i didnt get the wrong end of the stick ;)
you said -

I'm cutting the canbus plug off a nav 5/6 4 button cradle to fit a din plug

Din plug is two wires:- you have

Wire 1 - 3 wires at one end going into 2 at the other
Wire 2 Has two wires

The plug on the headstock is 3 wires the Nav is normaly 2 wires - hence the enquiry to check the purple wire has not been bridged to the +12V

Had you shown the later picture i'd have said straight off, cut and tap back the purple wire its not needed

And yes the nav asking if you want to go to battery if the +12v goes low is normal thats beacuse its set up to work with a switched live

the unit has detected no +12V hence the request to stay on battery

No i didnt get the wrong end of the stick ;)
you said -

I'm cutting the canbus plug off a nav 5/6 4 button cradle to fit a din plug

Din plug is two wires:- you have

Wire 1 - 3 wires at one end going into 2 at the other
Wire 2 Has two wires

The plug on the headstock is 3 wires the Nav is normaly 2 wires - hence the enquiry to check the purple wire has not been bridged to the +12V

Had you shown the later picture i'd have said straight off, cut and tap back the purple wire its not needed

And yes the nav asking if you want to go to battery if the +12v goes low is normal thats beacuse its set up to work with a switched live

the unit has detected no +12V hence the request to stay on battery

You did ask which plug was going to the sat nav and which was going to the cradle at one point, then asked me to check continuity between these which didn't make sense, which why I was confused.
Also the sat nav not detecting a 12v when I disengaged it from the cradle was weird because it was on my dining table when I disconnected it and it wasn't connected to power at the time.just mentioned that cos it was strange.
My other 4 button cradle on the gsa has the same 3 wires going into the canbus plug and it connects using all 3, I still haven't found out what the purple wire is actually for except for bear saying it could be connected to the Speedo in some way in post #2
Anyway thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try it as I said quite a few posts back using just the red and black wires into the din plug.

You did ask which plug was going to the sat nav and which was going to the cradle at one point, then asked me to check continuity between these which didn't make sense, which why I was confused.
Also the sat nav not detecting a 12v when I disengaged it from the cradle was weird because it was on my dining table when I disconnected it and it wasn't connected to power at the time.just mentioned that cos it was strange.
My other 4 button cradle on the gsa has the same 3 wires going into the canbus plug and it connects using all 3, I still haven't found out what the purple wire is actually for except for bear saying it could be connected to the Speedo in some way in post #2
Anyway thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try it as I said quite a few posts back using just the red and black wires into the din plug.

And we will say again ;) , The 3rd wire / Purple is the speed pulse feed +10V, it so if you go into a tunnel, or loose your GPS fix, the unit will use the speed pulse to keep the map in the unit

roughly synced to your speed. Upon reaquiring the GPS position the unit would adjust accordingly :).

If the bike you are swapping the cradle to has a speed pulse option, and you change to a DIN plug, you want be able to take advantage of the option

:)

Back
Top Bottom