New member - not yet a GS owner

I would use descriptions such as (some apply to me:D)

egotistic, sensitive, knob jockeys, piss takers, aggressive, wankers, funny, bull shitters, honest, helpful, knowledgeable and opinionated. How many of these descriptions apply to the members of this site?

This could end up being a very long list :D

Hi Daz

welcome to the forum.

The choice of GS or GSA is up to you but if buying used, hold out for the higher TE spec bikes if you can. The main advantage I found with the GSA was the larger fuel tank range, a slightly smoother ride and less twitchy at speed in the twisties than the standard bike which I found to be a little flighty when pushed (at least compared with the GSA which just feels a little more planted due to the geometry differences). It has a little more presence on the road too if that matters for you.

Don't be put off by the growing list of "possible" faults as many of us never see many of them.

A well maintained bike might show a few issues common to the GS such as the info/trip switch sticking (test that as a replacement switch isn't cheap. My 16 plate GSA had this issue but a few squirts with contact cleaner sorted it). On the whole, they're a reliable workhorse.

Look for well maintained bikes which have been treated to regular coats of ACF to keep the paint issues and corrosion at bay. Mine still looks showroom at 16K miles so some of these reported issues have to be down to lack of regular care as well as the odd genuine issue. Frames can corrode, and this tends to show on the subframe especially if an issue, as that is vulnerable to salt and spray from winter roads. I know of one RS bike whose frame was badly corroded in under 12 months from new that the bike frame was replaced under warranty. That's a rare occurrence though.

Other marques are not immune either. I've seen as many examples of corroded engine casings on Triumphs and some jap bikes used year round.

Check that the headstock bushing has been replaced under the recall...that's a must, and also that the bike's had regular oil changes/servicing.

Also check the condition of the rear driveshaft seals. If they look ok, chances are that the driveshaft will be fine.

The wheels are worth checking for loose or missing spokes if you look at one of the spoked ones. My GSA had a spoke missing from the rear wheel. That was replaced out of warranty for free. Good dealerships do look after their customers!

Rear pad wear can be high (5 or 6K mile intervals) but it was much the same for my Triumph Tiger and trident bikes, and also for my Aprilia RSVR. My discs are fine at 16K miles, no bad wear showing at all.

Suspension can be iffy on some ESA equipped bikes with reports of failing suspension quite widespread. If it's going to happen it seems to happen within the first few years but used units can be had cheaply enough or replacement with alternatives is possible. Again, this is not unique to BMW.

On the whole the bikes seem solid and reliable, and certainly provide one of the best all round riding packages going. Like most other bikes, as long as you realise that to keep a bike in good running order it will require far more than an annual service at the dealership. Part of ownership is regular care and attention to try and ensure a preventative maintenance approach.

If you do decide to go for the GSA Lc the TE version is the most popular choice as it tends to have most of the factory options. There is the XE which is a bit more basic but still a good option and then there is the absolute basic model which offers a significant saving against the TE but is less popular. If you don't want all the toys then you may want to consider the two lower spec varients.
If you want luggage then better to buy one with it already fitted as can be expensive to buy afterwards but can be a good bargaining point at point of purchase....

Hi Thanks for the response and i have generally been looking at the dealerships to be honest for the warranty, I got a couple of them to price up deals on luggage, top box and SAT NAV......not cheap. Like you say try to get one with the luggage included.

Hi Daz

welcome to the forum.

The choice of GS or GSA is up to you but if buying used, hold out for the higher TE spec bikes if you can. The main advantage I found with the GSA was the larger fuel tank range, a slightly smoother ride and less twitchy at speed in the twisties than the standard bike which I found to be a little flighty when pushed (at least compared with the GSA which just feels a little more planted due to the geometry differences). It has a little more presence on the road too if that matters for you.

Don't be put off by the growing list of "possible" faults as many of us never see many of them.

A well maintained bike might show a few issues common to the GS such as the info/trip switch sticking (test that as a replacement switch isn't cheap. My 16 plate GSA had this issue but a few squirts with contact cleaner sorted it). On the whole, they're a reliable workhorse.

Look for well maintained bikes which have been treated to regular coats of ACF to keep the paint issues and corrosion at bay. Mine still looks showroom at 16K miles so some of these reported issues have to be down to lack of regular care as well as the odd genuine issue. Frames can corrode, and this tends to show on the subframe especially if an issue, as that is vulnerable to salt and spray from winter roads. I know of one RS bike whose frame was badly corroded in under 12 months from new that the bike frame was replaced under warranty. That's a rare occurrence though.

Other marques are not immune either. I've seen as many examples of corroded engine casings on Triumphs and some jap bikes used year round.

Check that the headstock bushing has been replaced under the recall...that's a must, and also that the bike's had regular oil changes/servicing.

Also check the condition of the rear driveshaft seals. If they look ok, chances are that the driveshaft will be fine.

The wheels are worth checking for loose or missing spokes if you look at one of the spoked ones. My GSA had a spoke missing from the rear wheel. That was replaced out of warranty for free. Good dealerships do look after their customers!

Rear pad wear can be high (5 or 6K mile intervals) but it was much the same for my Triumph Tiger and trident bikes, and also for my Aprilia RSVR. My discs are fine at 16K miles, no bad wear showing at all.

Suspension can be iffy on some ESA equipped bikes with reports of failing suspension quite widespread. If it's going to happen it seems to happen within the first few years but used units can be had cheaply enough or replacement with alternatives is possible. Again, this is not unique to BMW.

On the whole the bikes seem solid and reliable, and certainly provide one of the best all round riding packages going. Like most other bikes, as long as you realise that to keep a bike in good running order it will require far more than an annual service at the dealership. Part of ownership is regular care and attention to try and ensure a preventative maintenance approach.

Thanks for the information very comprehensive, I look after my bikes so don't think that will be an issue. Use ACF50 and regular cleaning and maintenance.

I have noticed that most for sale on the dealers are the TE model, its just knowing how much you can push the dealers on the price advertised especially if they are doing a deal on the luggage and SAT NAV.
They have to make a living and they are offering the 2 year warranty and breakdown cover, i guess its just make an offer and see what is said.

Trying to decide if the prices will go up the nearer to spring we get or will there be more of the old model variable due to the new GS coming onto the market.

Thanks again

Ho yus. :beerjug:

I tested a R1200R LC some months before I ever got on a GS. I was a bit underwhelmed. Some months later I tried the GS - and had my Euraka monent!

Why underwhelmed? I've been having thoughts of going that way for quite some time, especially now that it comes with the 1250 engine and new dash

Why underwhelmed? I've been having thoughts of going that way for quite some time, especially now that it comes with the 1250 engine and new dash

Why underwhelmed? I so wanted one, but when I was riding it, I didn't get the "wow! factor. I did within minutes on the GS, despite having been adamant I didn't want to join the club.

Having said that, the 1250R is on my secret must-try list. It would nice to have a bike with a seat I can reach the ground properly from. :(

Why underwhelmed? I so wanted one, but when I was riding it, I didn't get the "wow! factor. I did within minutes on the GS, despite having been adamant I didn't want to join the club.

Having said that, the 1250R is on my secret must-try list. It would nice to have a bike with a seat I can reach the ground properly from. :(

I heard they handle quite well and better than the RS. I've only sat on one in a showroom and the standard seat felt very low to me, I'm only 5'8" too. If I were to get one I'd probably get the high seat.

The 1250R does look great and I do like the RS a lot although not sure about the headlights as it looks very Japanese to me now.

They have to make a living and they are offering the 2 year warranty and breakdown cover, i guess its just make an offer and see what is said.

Trying to decide if the prices will go up the nearer to spring we get or will there be more of the old model variable due to the new GS coming onto the market.

Thanks again

Welcome aboard Daz

Whichever you go for GS or GSA the newer the plate the more spec and tweaks the bike will have had. 14 plate bit smoother than the 13, 15 a bit more tweaking and smoother than the 14 and so on.

This isn’t a bad time to push the dealers it’s the quite time of year, and many of them have an abundance of 1200’s in as their new owners chop in for the 1250. Rainbow South Yorkshire had 40+ 1200 GS GSA’s in last week.

Don’t worry about pushing the dealer they will say no when you get to rock bottom price.

Good luck with the search

af105791ddf3d4ca1f1c6c162a0c254e.jpg
ab8d51a8ea94e22976ca0309fc1d50dd.jpg

If your forces or ex forces don’t forget you get a big discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard Daz

Whichever you go for GS or GSA the newer the plate the more spec and tweaks the bike will have had. 14 plate bit smoother than the 13, 15 a bit more tweaking and smoother than the 14 and so on.

This isn’t a bad time to push the dealers it’s the quite time of year, and many of them have an abundance of 1200’s in as their new owners chop in for the 1250. Rainbow South Yorkshire had 40+ 1200 GS GSA’s in last week.

Don’t worry about pushing the dealer they will say no when you get to rock bottom price.

Good luck with the search

Thanks thats exactly what i will do, make an offer when i find one and see what they say. Any ideas what sort of discount have others got on bikes. I guess it depends on the price of the bike to start with, i am looking at 14 / 15 plate.
Just be grateful for any information what others have managed to get in the way of discount on used bikes.

Any ideas what sort of discount have others got on bikes. I guess it depends on the price of the bike to start with, i am looking at 14 / 15 plate.
Just be grateful for any information what others have managed to get in the way of discount on used bikes.

Back
Top Bottom