New member - not yet a GS owner

DazGS

Reaction score
Hi All
I have been looking around the forum for advice and thought i would join, i have not purchased a GS as yet but have been looking. After a lot of review reading and You Tube videos, I narrowed it down to either a 2014 / 2015 GS or GS Adventure.
I managed to test ride the new GS 1250 on Saturday and whilst i appreciate its no comparison to the 2015 models i am looking it gave me a feel for the style of bike.

I am leaning more to the Adventure model after viewing used bikes at the dealership, it seemed a better option with the larger fuel tank and aluminium luggage.

I have not done any touring before but intend to start this year with the Mrs as pillion.

Any advice on what to look out for when buying a GS would be appreciated or link to threads would be useful

Thanks

Daz

Welcome to the forum

I’ve got a 65 plate gsa.
Look for rusting main frame, side stand, sub and main frame.

Engine paint flaking off.
Switches not working
Lights not working/flickering
Wind shield cracking behind the bolt carrier
Loose spokes
Cracks in the swing arm/ drive housing

Just to name a few bits

I’m sure the others here will add a few more bits.

Other than that the gsa is a good bike.
Go for cast wheels if your not off planing on going off road.

And keep off the anakee III their crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum

I’ve got a 65 plate gsa.

Switches not working
Loose spokes

Just to name a few bits

Thanks for the heads up, that's quite a list for a 65 plate and i am looking at 15 plate. Reading that list makes me think is this the right bike to go for, that seems a lot of possible faults with the bike. I have been looking at BMW dealerships where they offer two years warranty. I guess thats a must then looking at the list.

What does this mean - And keep off the anakee III their crap.????

Thanks for the quick response.

Daz

Welcome to the forum

I’ve got a 65 plate gsa.

Switches not working
Loose spokes

Just to name a few bits

You really sold GS ownership to him:D However what you say is 100% true. Although i would add - spoke wheels up to 2016 are ok just more effort to clean. Buy from a dealer to obtain two tears warranty which is worth £950. Focus on corrosion, there are some good bikes out there.

What does this mean - And keep off the anakee III their crap.????

The tyres....Anakee III are not very good but are the OEM for GS/GSA. Just don’t replace with the same when it comes to new rubber.

You really sold GS ownership to him:D However what you say is 100% true. Although i would add - spoke wheels up to 2016 are ok just more effort to clean. Buy from a dealer to obtain two tears warranty which is worth £950. Focus on corrosion, there are some good bikes out there.

Ha ha thats what i was thinking do i want a GS. Good point about the cleaning of spoke wheels. Will make sure i take a good look around the bike, i was considering buying remote without viewing and just using the dealership video. Having read the comments think i will definitely visit the dealership when find one.
It was worth joining this forum for sure.

Thanks

Daz

You will be buying yourself a whole load of fun, I prefer the GS as opposed to the Adv as it is lighter and easier to move around car parks etc, I have had six to date, I am looking to sell my 2014 TE model soon if you are interested which I will be selling for around £8.5K. Whatever you buy I'm sure you will be impressed by their agility. I have had lots of different bikes, and for the road you won't find a better all round bike. :doris

No point sugar coating ownership of a GSA
Even with these problems, I’m keeping mine.

Oh and don’t forget it eats through rear pads and discs

I’ve lost count the amount I’ve changed pads

Nearly ready for my 3rd rear disc too.
16600 miles from new

My advice is buy from a dealer. The warranty is good. Beware not everything is covered. Shocks to 30,000 miles and excludes battery. It’s still worth it and a lot of stuff gets done outside of warranty with goodwill. Ride a gs before you buy a gsa just in case. The big tank is handy. You can get the gsa luggage onto a gs by using the gsa brackets. The gs luggage is handy and is adjustable so better for filtering. Horses for courses. I had a 2014 gsa. The standard toolbox is too small. I use a givi maxia which takes 2 Helmer’s +. I’ve gone on to a rt now. JJH

A well looked after 2015 / 2016 GS/A will not suffer from any of those previously mentioned issues.. Mines a 2015 (65) plate GSA and the only bit of rust on mine is on the centre stand. Other than that it's mint. Been treated with ACF every winter and regularly washed either side of it.. There's plenty of good ones about, don't be put off by that list...

I wouldn’t let tales of woe put u off. Every forum has them for every make of bike, that’s often why people visit forums, to vent or look for solutions. Most people with zero issues are busy riding.

I have a 14 gs and my brother a 15 plate. We both tour around Europe most years and we have both had zero issues with bikes or corrosion. We’re not big winter riders though so avoid salty spray.

Agree with getting via bmw dealer. As well as 2 years warranty you get decent Europe breakdown as well. I came from a Ducati sports bike and was really surprised how well the gs hustles compared to that and it’s streets ahead of the triumph tiger my brother traded in.

If a GSA has been well looked after and has been regularly serviced and not had the arse ragged off it everywhere then they are an excellent bike.
I recently traded my 26,000ml '15' plate model which was still on original front brake pads, original rear disc and was on 3rd set rear pads...
Anakee 3s are a decent tyre when new but don't wear evenly and the road noise is annoying.
They don't all suffer from corrosion, mine was pretty much mint and was ridden in all weathers, just kept clean and regular use of protective sprays.
If you really want a GSA go for the best you can reasonably afford with a good accessory package. There are plenty to choose from privately or in dealers particularly as the new 1250 is becoming popular.
I suggest you don't buy without viewing or test riding... I speak from experience on that......

No point sugar coating ownership of a GSA
Even with these problems, I’m keeping mine.

Oh and don’t forget it eats through rear pads and discs

I’ve lost count the amount I’ve changed pads

Nearly ready for my 3rd rear disc too.
16600 miles from new

Just like there is no point only focusing on negatives. I've owned mine for over three years, 26,000klms, and have had none of the issues you mentioned. I'm still on the original pads which have plenty of meat left on them, no idea what you guys are doing to go through pads so quickly.

"I’ve lost count the amount I’ve changed pads" making a statement like that just gives you no credibility.

Maybe you treat your bike like shit and that's the reason why you've had issues.

Just like there is no point only focusing on negatives. I've owned mine for over three years, 26,000klms, and have had none of the issues you mentioned. Maybe you treat your bike like shit

Dam what a bellend

Just asked what to look out for
I wasn’t bitching or moaning about my bike
I expected to have problems with it

I was just answering questions dickhead

I know mine was a Friday lemon bike but it’s all done and working fine now.

The list is just things too look out for.

Didn’t say it wasn’t a good bike
Just look out for the listed problems

Being an engineer and avid biker no I don’t treat my investment of nearly £20k like shit.

Thanks all for the advice it definitely has been very useful joining the forum, especially the point of test riding the actual bike before buying. I will be buy from a dealer for the warranty and cover.

The prices seem to vary a bit between dealers a fair bit, but its good looking and like said the new GS may be good for used prices.

Dam what a bellend

Just asked what to look out for
I wasn’t bitching or moaning about my bike
I expected to have problems with it

I was just answering questions dickhead

I know mine was a Friday lemon bike but it’s all done and working fine now.

The list is just things too look out for.

Didn’t say it wasn’t a good bike
Just look out for the listed problems

Being an engineer and avid biker no I don’t treat my investment of nearly £20k like shit.

Like I said, when you write "I’ve lost count the amount I’ve changed pads", you have no credibility.

Thanks all for the advice it definitely has been very useful joining the forum, especially the point of test riding the actual bike before buying. I will be buy from a dealer for the warranty and cover.

The prices seem to vary a bit between dealers a fair bit, but its good looking and like said the new GS may be good for used prices.

Ignore Redknobster but like any bike make sure you check it out thoroughly.

Like I said, when you write "I’ve lost count the amount I’ve changed pads", you have no credibility.

Well as the rear calliper is linked to the front, and are applied when the front brake is used, this causes brake wear.

My first rear brake disc and pads were a warranty job

Credibility hmmmm
Maybe just a known problem and something to live with.

Well as the rear calliper is linked to the front, and are applied when the front brake is used, this causes brake wear.

My first rear brake disc and pads were a warranty job

Credibility hmmmm
Maybe just a known problem and something to live with.

Maybe you can't ride either then :)

Back
Top Bottom