1150 GS to 650 GS

dmkeilty

I have just sold my beloved R 1150 GS, moving to Oz and was thinking of an F650 GS. I like the look of the Dakar but was wondering if the road handling is as good as the standard F 650 GS, any comments appreciated.

regards, the latest Prisoner Of Mother England

Did the off-road course on 650GS after riding 1150GS from Holyhead = 5 hours.
1st day on Dakar, which I found a bit tall ( I am 5'10"), second day on 650GS which I found fine.

650GS is a very good bike, Dakar has 21" front wheel v. 19" on GS, I think it is better in the dirt but on road- probably no different.

I felt very perched on 650 v. 1150 but it is a capable bike, no
doubt about it.

If you are tall enough (6'), go for Dakar.

On return journey to Holyhead, 1150GS felt like magic carpet....

I now own a Dakar, and find it fine on-road, in comparison to the 1150GS. It is only really let down at motorway speeds where I find it alot more work than the 1150.

However, through town, the dakar is hard to beat.
it is very nimble and can seem to squeeze through any little gap in traffic (sensibly of course :) ).
Its also pretty handy in the dirt!

:beerjug:

I have a Dakar 650 and an Adv
The Dakar handles fine on the road and is great around town and A/B roads
However as said on longer runs, it's not as effortless as the Adv and you miss the grunt
1st Edition (pre 2004 Twin Spark) Dakar screen and seat are ok
Tried it 2up this weekend and found it a bit cramped, but it coped ok and would still pull 80 on A roads
However for serious off-roading the 650 suspension is soft and crude

The road handling of my 650 Dakar is just fine. Fairly soft but controlled. Bags of ground clearance. Loads of fun on the right roads.

Feels a bit stressed on m/ways and fast A roads though.

I had an 1100GS but actually prefer the 650 at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom