Oh dear, oh dear, another 1250 dies

I am not so sure about this. I am going to try and will report back in 5 weeks time.

If I survive

When someone rise to the occasion in the name of science they deserve my fullest respect :friday

Best of luck. Looking forward to the report :aidan

I do agree, you can only test to a certain degree.

It's a bit like with women.
You may make a woman pregnant, and the baby will come nine months later.
But you can not do it to nine women in order to get a baby in one month.

You obviously have never been to Norfuck they knock en out quick down there............:hippy

I’ve just read the latest issue of BIKE magazine and the 1250GS wins the group test of the BM, Multistrada, Triumph and Super Tenere. I’d have preferred seeing it tested against the KTM.

Sadly shortly afterwards the electrics on the GS go crazy and the bike dies.

Sounds similar to the GS that died doing the 4 corners run recently. Second time, a coincidence or is there an underlying problem?

Anyone come across what the actual resolution was to the problem the 1250 had in the BIKE magazine test?. I have the mag and it's a bit disappointing that they had time, before going to print, to add the details about the bike breaking down and then spending 2 hrs trying to recharge it. Then "ferried it to their lockup in a van" !. Why didn't they just phone the dealer\BMW they borrowed it from, and ask them to collect it\fix it urgently . :) .
Be interested to know what the fault actually was as I have a 1250.

Anyone come across what the actual resolution was to the problem the 1250 had in the BIKE magazine test?. I have the mag and it's a bit disappointing that they had time, before going to print, to add the details about the bike breaking down and then spending 2 hrs trying to recharge it. Then "ferried it to their lockup in a van" !. Why didn't they just phone the dealer\BMW they borrowed it from, and ask them to collect it\fix it urgently . :) .

I'm very curious too.

I don't own a 1250 but have had a couple of test rides and have contemplated buying one as I was impressed. However at the moment I'm sticking to the ever reliable KTM 1290. I appreciate that first year bikes can be seen as a bit of beta testing having owned both a first year Multistrada and 1190, though both of those proved to be no problem.

Bike also listed the a low top speed in their specs table and indicated that the bike is “restricted”. However there was no mention of any speed restriction in the words of their report. Does anyone know anything about any speed restriction on the 1250?

Bike also listed the a low top speed in their specs table and indicated that the bike is “restricted”. However there was no mention of any speed restriction in the words of their report. Does anyone know anything about any speed restriction on the 1250?

Mine isn’t restricted

They also say it has a 180 section rear tyre

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine isn’t restricted

They also say it has a 180 section rear tyre

Thanks for that. I haven’t seen any mention of any restriction anywhere else, so I think they need to do a little more fact checking before rushing to print.

The one I test rode a couple of weeks ago ran out of puff at around 135mph on the dash. I had several attempts as we were playing with a Ferrari, but it had no more.

The one I test rode a couple of weeks ago ran out of puff at around 135mph on the dash. I had several attempts as we were playing with a Ferrari, but it had no more.

I don’t have the magazine to hand to check, but if I remember correctly the spec table included the following: “Top Speed: 115mph (restricted)”. Now I’m not entirely sure that I’ve got the speed correct, but it was certainly much lower than 135mph.

I don’t have the magazine to hand to check, but if I remember correctly the spec table included the following: “Top Speed: 115mph (restricted)”. Now I’m not entirely sure that I’ve got the speed correct, but it was certainly much lower than 135mph.

We all know that the speed on the dash is different to the real speed, so you could well be right :D

Is it possible that the restricted bikes are meant for countries which restricts the maximum allowable HP for MC?

Is it possible that the restricted bikes are meant for countries which restricts the maximum allowable HP for MC?

France doesn’t do that any more I thought all of Europe is now full power providing you have the correct license

France doesn’t do that any more I thought all of Europe is now full power providing you have the correct license

Indeed 100bhp got dropped several years ago. France had a higher death rate since it came in so it achieved naff all really. Maybe the restriction is not on the bike and is the testers insurance criteria or something like that.

Panigale V4/S bikes are having many recalls since its release. Some poor chaps have spent more time taking it to and forth from their local dealers than actually riding them!! So no bike/car new release seems to be totally immune from issues.
Such is the pressure for manufacturers to start recouping their investment in a new model. The earlier it can get to dealers the quicker they get a return. Flip side being if a big issue arises it could be a slight false economy. GS engine and swingarm replacement over 'Paint Gate' being one example.

So no bike/car new release seems to be totally immune from issues.
Such is the pressure for manufacturers to start recouping their investment in a new model. The earlier it can get to dealers the quicker they get a return.

The one exception to the rule might be the new Yamaha Tenere version of the MT-07 ... are they calling it the T7 now?... seems to have been a flippin lifetime since the first spy shots were released and still dealers say they don't know when they'll see one.

And this was with an already-proven engine and gearbox :nenau

Back
Top Bottom