Bike to Bike comms.

GedJack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Myself and two mates are doing a European trip on the bikes in June.
Can anyone recommend a good reliable comms system for us please ???

Steve

The only two options are PMR radios, or BT headset that provides comms. I have used a Scala Packtalk in DMC mode very successfully on bike tours with bike to bike coverage very good.

I would thoroughly recommend the Scala Rider PackTalk...

its not the cheapest but IMHO it is the best. You can use DMC technology for connection rather than Bluetooth that is far more stable for group connections.. If one drops out (due to distance etc) once they are back in range it automatically connects and in the meantime, the others do not disconnect.

I, along with 4 other riders have these and we have never had any issue with dropout. Battery life is amazing too.... literally all day usage without having to re-charge. (Scotland to Surrey in one day and was still usable after 13 hours).

Cardo-BTSRPT-Scala-Rider-Pack is the version I have and can be found on Amazon.

While not as fancy as the PackTalk, the Scala Rider Q3 is a great bit of kit for considerably less money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scala-Ride...WHQFJ9S8SB4&psc=1&refRID=RA73JSAWCWHQFJ9S8SB4

You can connect to up to three other riders, though this can only be done one at a time, so there's no option to 'group chat'. If that's a necessity then go for the PackTalk, if not, the Q3 might meet your needs. Link to phone/GPS/radio is very easy to use and becomes intuitive pretty quickly. Battery life gets you a whole days riding and then simply recharge overnight when you're off the bike.

I've had no reliability issues riding in rain etc. But one thing to watch is that Cardo's warranty policy is very picky as to where you bought the unit. Some folks have been refused warranty claims as they purchased through an unapproved dealer on the likes of ebay.

You could always pick up three S/H Scala G4 Units? They will give you 3-way comms, including ‘open mike’ - all day.

I’ve been using them for 8 yrs now - and you should be able to pick up a set for around £50-£80 each. A G4 Teamset (pair) could be as little as £100. G9 is also compatible.

It could be a cheaper entry into the comms market than shelling out for brand new latest models.

Is the pactalk compatible with BMW TFT ?

Yes... you can use the DMC tech for communications to other riders but it also has two Bluetooth channels to connect to any other devices.

I've been using Interphone kit for years, and the latest Tour is a great bit of kit. :thumb

Is there a comms that you can listen to music and it cuts out when either you or pillion talk rather than having to switch it over?

Is there a comms that you can listen to music and it cuts out when either you or pillion talk rather than having to switch it over?

Scala G4 and all successors - do. Most makes should

I know it may sound stupid, but just be aware that bike to bike/passenger comms are technically illegal in some European Countries, where they are considered an inappropriate distraction for the rider. Spain for instance.

Rarely, if ever, an issue if used sensibly.

Steve,

When a few of us have gone on hols, with Scala G4 units, we have taken one additional 'module' in case one fails. You can pick up used kit cheaply, to allow you to do this. New electronics can fail just as easily as used, in reality.

Pity the fella with the failed unit!

Attachments

• mousse-microphone.jpg
    mousse-microphone.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 226
Good idea thanks
Steve,

When a few of us have gone on hols, with Scala G4 units, we have taken one additional 'module' in case one fails. You can pick up used kit cheaply, to allow you to do this. New electronics can fail just as easily as used, in reality.

Pity the fella with the failed unit!

I know it may sound stupid, but just be aware that bike to bike/passenger comms are technically illegal in some European Countries, where they are considered an inappropriate distraction for the rider. Spain for instance.

Rarely, if ever, an issue if used sensibly.

Can you elaborate? I thought it was just in-ear monitors that were illegal in Spain.

Can you elaborate? I thought it was just in-ear monitors that were illegal in Spain.

It's down to the loose definitions some countries have applied that causes the anomoly. Spain says you cannot use in-ear/buds or headphones - some say the helmet speakers are effectively the same thing, headphones. As I said, it is very unlikely that this would be challenged, unless it was thought to be the cause of an accident, but I seem to recall others on here mentioning that they have received unwanted attention from the GC. Similarly fiddling with, even touching SatNavs on the move; hence the wonder-wheel.

Anyway, here is the link to the AA site covering European Travel, so just pull down whichever pdf you need to check that countries rules in detail........https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/country-by-country

Should be ok then as I use a Sena remote & the comms unit is all but invisible. Not had a problem so far anywhere in Europe since I started using comms about 10 year ago.

Back
Top Bottom