Driveshaft

Redboots

Member well-known
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just how bothered should one be about the "out of phase" amount in a driveshaft?

Too much?

Attachments

• shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 337
I have decided to get mine re-built.
Just needs new UJ's as they have been in there for 70,000 odd kms. They are the grease-able variety.
At the same time, get the "rubber" replaced with a slightly harder silicone.

Attachments

• kardan.JPG
    kardan.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 226
Who did you go to for the rebuild?

Andreas Mattern in Germany.
As far as I know, he's the only one that does it in Europe.
It aint cheap! But cheaper that a new unit.

Download his "Kataloge" here

Good god is he still going? I had one of his drive shafts back in the early 90’s. A good piece of kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've just been looking at the price it's not bad if the bike is a keeper. At least its service-able with grease-able and replaceable universal joints also revised shock-absorber. I will certainly look into one of these when I replace mine.

Barny

At least its service-able with grease-able and replaceable universal joints also revised shock-absorber.

I had my UJ's changed to grease-able back in 2006. Re-grease every 40-50k kms and all is well, but the rubber bit is what will eventually kill it.
Eric Demant suggested I bought one of his off-road shafts at the time but I didn't want to stump up the €550 for it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing:D

Mine was the same and it vibrated badly.

Mine too but I never noticed it until a mate rode the bike last year and bitched about the vibes at certain speeds. I took it out when lubing the back end and noticed how twisted it was. I've replaced mine with the Motorworks rebuildable vervision and so far (hope thats not cursed it!) its been fine and much,much smother. It is a bit of a bugger to get in the swinging arm though!

It is a bit of a bugger to get in the swinging arm though!

Yeah. If you have the standard shaft modified with circlips, you have to remove a small amount of material at the narrowest point to get it in.
Not much though.

Back
Top Bottom