R90s pub quiz

I've been looking at some other pictures of 90s's. Some had kick starts, some didn't. All seem to have oil gallery plugs that look to be allen key, but it's difficult to see, even zooming in on the pictures.

Happy to be proven wrong,but I’ve never seen Allen screw plugs on early engines only slotted screw driver types.
Next were Allen key type,
Followed by a sump plug type of thing on the late models

Take a step back and look at the engine block

I'm not now even sure it's an R90S - so many "wrong" bits - brake pedal rubber wrong - I've never seen one with black carb tops - 50% of the cylinder fins should be painted black - is it an R90/6 dressed up as an R90S

Last edited:
Smooth engine cover, not ribbed.

And what's that blank 'vin plate' doing on the LHS of the frame

I'm not now even sure it's an R90S - so many "wrong" bits - brake rubber wrong - I've never seen one with black carb tops - most of the cylinder fins should be painted black - is it an R90/6 dressed up as an R90S
I think it is a 90s
The vin plate states it,the rivets look original and unmolested.
But I think it’s had a new block( unstamped)
And replacement carbs.
It’s hard to get good images of early bikes off tinternet,
This bike also has a chrome rear wheel cover,not seen on any images I’ve found

Attachments

• 481A1526-BB8F-43C2-B192-4B2A0BF58563.jpg
    481A1526-BB8F-43C2-B192-4B2A0BF58563.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 253
Can’t see if there’s the casting tongue-mark on the engine case ‘shelf’ below the gearbox to see if it’s an 85 on crank case. Is there a flat surface on the front LH side of the crank case that has extra numbers on them? Get the starter cover off & let’s see the breather too. Early cases would have the rubber pipe start at the back of the motor, not the front. End of the day you can swap oilway blanks. I see there’s a /5 rear wheel cover not quite clear enough from the rib count but I think it is a /5 rear wheel. You can’t put the cover on a later wheel without modification. I have that mod on mine. Plenty of mix & match though. Recent carbs, originals have cast tops. Solid discs are proper 74 so is it a small diameter front spindle job? One year only & would mean the switch gear is wrong for that period.

Can’t see if there’s the casting tongue-mark on the engine case ‘shelf’ below the gearbox to see if it’s an 85 on crank case. Is there a flat surface on the front LH side of the crank case that has extra numbers on them? Get the starter cover off & let’s see the breather too. Early cases would have the rubber pipe start at the back of the motor, not the front. End of the day you can swap oilway blanks. I see there’s a /5 rear wheel cover not quite clear enough from the rib count but I think it is a /5 rear wheel. You can’t put the cover on a later wheel without modification. I have that mod on mine. Plenty of mix & match though. Recent carbs, originals have cast tops. Solid discs are proper 74 so is it a small diameter front spindle job? One year only & would mean the switch gear is wrong for that period.

The location for later engine number casting is unstamped(LH front lower)

I think it is a 90s
The vin plate states it,the rivets look original and unmolested.
But I think it’s had a new block( unstamped)
And replacement carbs.
It’s hard to get good images of early bikes off tinternet,
This bike also has a chrome rear wheel cover,not seen on any images I’ve found

The chrome rear wheel covers were common at the time, and on /5 Bikes - the Bike is a contradiction - as I said the front end is wrong - and there are quite a few /6 parts on the bike that the R90S (which is really a /6 Bike) did not have - I would suspect it's originality as a R90S unless you have paperwork proof

- I have a 5,000 mile 1974 Orange Bike that has never been touched if you need images, but there is also a uTube vid on line building a smoke R90S from scratch using OEM new parts

This is the main reason for this thread to be honest,
Within 30 secs of it being unloaded from the van I was starting to question things,paint,engine etc.
I was expecting an original machine(as was the new owner stood beside me)
I know there are a few 90S owners here:thumby:

Ok, I’ll look out for it. Is the diode board rubber mounted ? That period timing case, only the 90S had rubber mounts with a 002 or 006 small diameter stator. Looks similar to a Silent Hektic ignition rotor, never seen one like that though. Voltmeter looks aftermarket too. I think the front end is right if the small spindle is in. Pretty certain it’s a /5 rear wheel, too many ribs on the hub for /6 on.

No problem with chrome reflectors on ATE forks. Gaiters look like proper thick BMW option too, if that’s what you mean Bill?

Late 73 r90s

Come on chaps,try harder:D

I am fortunate to own two r90s bikes, a very early November 73 bike and a 76 bike which I am in the final stages of restoring. This bike could be a good basis for an original bike, however I think there are a few issues.
The front-end should not have reflectors or gators ( USA bikes may have had reflectors )
Black paint mirrors
Enamel tank badges
There should be tape not paint for the coach lines on the front mudguard,fairing,tank and seat cowl only.
Switch gear too late
Handle bar clamps wrong- silver top flash
Handle bars do not seem quite right
Wrong volt meter
Transfers on fairing bezel missing
Dellortos should have metal tops
Black painted folk ears
Gearbox seems wrong , there should be a kick start for the early model
Non original starter relay
I cannot see inside the fairing but it should be smooth inside and show no evidence of grp matting.
My 73 bike is the bike used by BMW for their uk poster campaign and one of the first to arrive in the uk . The photos for the campaign were taken by Patrick Litchfield and was give the bike by BMW after the campaign
I am looking on my phone as away at the moment so I cannot see that clearly
Hope this helps
Byron:beerjug:

No problem with chrome reflectors on ATE forks. Gaiters look like proper thick BMW option too, if that’s what you mean Bill?

I've never seen those (on any) gaiters on a R90S - the chrome bits I refer to are those Y shaped things either side up near the bars, I can never remember the name - the paintwork is very poor - I have a 90/6 in bits plus a R90S - a lot of the stuff on this Bike looks like R90/6 bits - (I know that the R90S is a /6 Bike) - the horn is in the wrong place - the rubbers on the brake pedal and foot rests are not R90S - I always thought that the clock on the R90S was on the RHS - the paintwork is horrible etc., etc.

I've seen quite a few /6 Bikes over the years that have been made to look like the R90S - some with really good paintwork but some crudely done, (like this one) - I reckon that it is a /6 Bike tarted up to look like a R90S ......... but if it is a UK Bike there will be the V5 ....... if not I'm not sure what paperwork Mikey has to say that it is a R90S

Late 73 r90s

Come on chaps,try harder:D

I am fortunate to own two r90s bikes, a very early November 73 bike and a 76 bike which I am in the final stages of restoring. This bike could be a good basis for an original bike, however I think there are a few issues.
The front-end should not have reflectors or gators ( USA bikes may have had reflectors )
Black paint mirrors
Enamel tank badges
There should be tape not paint for the coach lines on the front mudguard,fairing,tank and seat cowl only.
Switch gear too late
Handle bar clamps wrong- silver top flash
Handle bars do not seem quite right
Wrong volt meter
Transfers on fairing bezel missing
Dellortos should have metal tops
Black painted folk ears
Gearbox seems wrong , there should be a kick start for the early model
Non original starter relay
I cannot see inside the fairing but it should be smooth inside and show no evidence of grp matting.
My 73 bike is the bike used by BMW for their uk poster campaign and one of the first to arrive in the uk . The photos for the campaign were taken by Patrick Litchfield and was give the bike by BMW after the campaign
I am looking on my phone as away at the moment so I cannot see that clearly
Hope this helps
Byron:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom