Camping in Aviemore(Thunder in the Glens)

jdh1340

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,making plans to tour Scotland in August so will fit in a night or 2 at Aviemore Thunder in the Glens,I dont want 2 stay on the Hog campsite at the McDonald centre again,does any locals or frequent visitors know is there a campsite with facilities in walking(stagering) distance of the Cairngorm hotel which is where my mates would be drinking-cheers

There's an often-overlooked one at Dalraddy too https://www.campinginaviemore.co.uk/tents/ If you are going by car, you could take a mountain bike to cycle in and out - there's a cycle path now so no need to go on the road...It's 3 miles and mostly flat
The ones up the ski road (Rothiemurchus and the one at Loch Morlich) are good.. Rothiemurchus is 2 miles, and Morlich's a good 6 miles

I can always be found at the Cairngorm hotel.

I stayed there Christmas 1988.

Drove straight past the Lockerbie crash just 36 hours after the disaster. The cockpit at the side of the road, tarpaulins on roofs of houses & debris for 10 miles or so.

Anyway, 3 of us checked into the poshest pad in town (they had had cancellations due to lack of snow) and ran up a massive bill.

The manager must have been getting anxious about 3 young blokes living the high life as we were unexpectedly asked to settle up to date one morning - And as the best we could manage was a cheque with 50 quid guarantee card, we were frog marched across the road to The Bank of Scotland to sort out the payment.

All totally useless I know, but I can only think of the Glenmore Forest campsite that has been mentioned.

A group of us went in 2006 and camped at the local football club, just off the main road which runs through Aviemore.

Did you attend when they had it a marquee with chandeliers and the local brewery supplying the beer?
Wolfe of Badenoch competitions?

2 of my mates won the Wolfe of Badenoch competitions in the past

2 of my mates won the Wolfe of Badenoch competitions in the past

jdh with an Evo?

WE must know each other in that case! :beerjug::beerjug:

Jim Taylor won it the first year and I won it the second year and am still the reigning "Wolfe".

I think we do...I was over from Ireland on a white gs for Martins funeral

Back
Top Bottom