Can some one please advise on 1290 SAS Brake system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I have now had my 1290 SAS for 10 days and covered mearly 300 odd miles (not without the issues, but I wont go into that :rolleyes: :redbone thing), I happen to notice that as I was applying front brake, the bike did have less stopping power than I was used to on a big lump GSA.

This afternoon as I was fitting pannier rack and lubing up the chain (meh :rolleyes:) I remembered about the brakes, and thought I'd give them a little checking and figuring out.
Bike on the centre stand, I applied front brake and tried to spin the rear wheel with my foot, to my surprise it actually did spin, which explained lack of stopping power compared to GSA.

Do KTM bikes not come with linked brakes then? It seem to be norm over the last 10 or so years for this system to be standard safety feature. I normally use both front and rear brake but on KTM I feel that rear brake is rather vague compared to my last two GS bike and number of scooters before that. On KTM the travel of the reat brake lever seem to be much longer before I can feel any diffrence in braking. Can dealer enable linked brake feature via connection to a computer?

Best

EV

No the brakes aren’t linked. I find the rear brake fine but then again I’m used to stuff like 996 Ducati’s where the back brake was an ornament.

Is the rear brake lever set too high so needs a fair bit of travel to operate, you adjust it too suit

I doubt hydraulic systems can be linked using a computer.

Does it need bleeding?

I noticed that the brakes on my 1290 weren’t as good as my GS, and was told that although it does have linked brakes, the bias is different to the GS. So, on those occasions where you need more braking, just use the rear brake as well, and you’ll have similar braking performance.

No the brakes aren’t linked. I find the rear brake fine but then again I’m used to stuff like 996 Ducati’s where the back brake was an ornament.

Is the rear brake lever set too high so needs a fair bit of travel to operate, you adjust it too suit

Noted. I recall seeing adjustment procedure in the owners manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt hydraulic systems can be linked using a computer.

Does it need bleeding?

Well, I’m not sure. Bike only done 300 odd miles.....

It is going in to the dealers this morning so will ask to check.

At the Milan bike show I had a long discussion with these guys. I told them of the issue of slightly woody brakes. They strongly recommended the pads in the photo. Yet to get them but I'll do it and feed back.

The brakes do work, but need more pull than I would like.

Quite fancy trying some Hayes calipers off the new 1250 GS as they're pretty amazing...although that might not just be the calipers/pads of course.

IMG_1757.jpg

I noticed that the brakes on my 1290 weren’t as good as my GS, and was told that although it does have linked brakes, the bias is different to the GS. So, on those occasions where you need more braking, just use the rear brake as well, and you’ll have similar braking performance.

Thanks Nutty for recognising this. Not me alone then. Will speak to my dealer today.

Now that you’ve bought another GS, you won’t be needing to worry about the brakes like you did on KTM then, or keyless fiascos :rolleyes:

At the Milan bike show I had a long discussion with these guys. I told them of the issue of slightly woody brakes. They strongly recommended the pads in the photo. Yet to get them but I'll do it and feed back.

The brakes do work, but need more pull than I would like.

Quite fancy trying some Hayes calipers off the new 1250 GS as they're pretty amazing...although that might not just be the calipers/pads of course.

View attachment 398993

Good to know, thanks.

I’ve seen a you tube video where bloke fitted callipers (Brembo M50) from 1290 Super Duke to his 1290 SAR. But that is an expensive option and probably involves modifying brake system a bit. Insurance companies won’t like that one bit, or charge you extortionate sums.

The brakes are more than powerful enough but have nowhere the initial bite of those on the GS.

Personally, once I got used to them, I prefer them like that for 90% of my riding (normal hooning, commuting). The only time I miss it is full on nutter hooning but as the big Orange bike is better than a GS at this in all other regards it's not really an issue.....

Oh, and I much prefer them off road for obvious reasons ~ don't forget these are dual purpose bikes unlike the GS which is just a tourer these days.

Andres

PS ............and yes, the brakes ARE linked on the KTMs

Errrrr.............the brakes are linked :nenau

Andres

Well if they are, surely I should feel some sort of resistance when on centre stand, spinning up the rear wheel with my foot while gripping the front brake lever for dear life...... I certainly can’t tell any change in any feedback I am getting. :nenau

Well if they are, surely I should feel some sort of resistance when on centre stand, spinning up the rear wheel with my foot while gripping the front brake lever for dear life...... I certainly can’t tell any change in any feedback I am getting. :nenau

Oh I see what you mean.......

Well, on my 1190R they are linked and I assume they still are on the vanilla 1290.

Just out of interest (I don't know if this makes any difference) have you tried it with the engine running?

Andres

Just out of interest (I don't know if this makes any difference) have you tried it with the engine running?

Andres

No I haven’t, but do give me 10-15 minutes and I’ll let you know.....

Engine needs to be running on my 1190 for the rear brake to be activated from the front lever.

Not all KTMs do have linked brakes though. 1090R doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom