Parting company with my 1290 SAR

The dealers option is replace the leg when its not needed the proper fix is Titanium Nitride Coating rough costing on both legs £150 i had firefox do some for me. i also bought ktm quick release fuel cap £100

Titanium Nitride Coating is a very hard, low friction gold coating applied to fork stanchions and shock shafts. It has a higher hardness rating than hard chrome giving a greater wear resistance and is a non-stick surface with a very low coefficient of friction reducing stiction.
The coating forms a metallurgical bond to the surface of the coated part that will not flake, blister, chip or peel.

Titanium nitride is added on top of the existing chrome, albeit ground down to allow for the extra thickness added by the titanium coating.
The issue with my forks were that the material below the chrome was causing the chrome to fail.
I appreciate your comments, but on this occasion it wouldnt have helped resolve it.

Sent from whatever I'm using at the time

I came from a SUper Tenere to the 1190, I bought the S10 at a time where I wanted to buy a bigger house and could not be sure I would have the funds to replace it for a long time, I had a GS at the time and it had a lot of small (but expensive if not under warranty) niggles by the time it was 3.5 years old and had 18k on the clock.

4 years and @22,000 trouble free miles later with the S10 I saw a deal on a new KTM 1190 with £3k off, I had the funds and knew with the discount I could keep it 2 years and not lose too much if I flogged it the day the warranty expired.

The 1190 is now 2.5 years old with 16,000 miles and been almost flawless except once throwing an EDS error, bought a 1 year old 1090 last year and took this from 3k to 9k over the summer, it too was good except for throwing a "General Failure" code which persisted for half a day and then never came back.

Just bought a discounted 1290S on the same basis as I bought the 1190, for the same reason, I can get 2 seasons use out of it and not lose too much if I sell it on before the warranty expires.

As far as I am concerned they can stick the TFT Screen, Keyless ignition and Semi Active Suspension somewhere dark and smelly, it does little to add to the riding experience and is just an expensive failure waiting to happen, the screens and ignitions are already causing problems on brand new bikes, AFAIK the semi active suspension is not problematic (yet) but when it does fuck up you will need a new shock and control unit and it will cost about £2k to fix - contrast to a quality shock (Ohlins, Wilburs, Nitron) which can be serviced for under £100.

I am not sure if people generally want all this crap, or are having it forced on them as the tech arms race between BMW, KTM and Ducati rages, not sure we wanted the speed race that raged for 30 years either, I had a GPZ900R, ZZR1100 and ZZR1400 - none were bought for the top speed, upgrades were based on better handling and wanting a newer machine. Lower weight, better suspension and more torque was valued over top speed - but I helped the sales charts that probably convinced them everyone wanted a faster bike.

I would prefer a simpler 1290S version I would have confidence to keep for 5+ years and 50,000 miles, rather than something that will be a liability at 2-3 years old, a basic S and high tech SE Models would work for me, those wanting all the crap can have it, those who don't save a few quid and a load of aggro.

The S10 is a nice bike, I loved mine and have a lot of fond memories, but it is a bit bland and lacks excitement, take a lot of the unnecessary tech of the 1290 and it would very likely be close to the Yamaha for reliability, I could let it off not quite matching the longevity of the Yamaha engine seeing as it has 50% more power and is 1000% more fun!

Good luck with the S10

My fall back position is the same - if I get fed up of having to buy a new bike every 2 years, or start finishing my journeys on a breakdown truck I can always sell the KTM and easily buy another S10 with the proceeds.

I came from a SUper Tenere to the 1190, I bought the S10 at a time where I wanted to buy a bigger house and could not be sure I would have the funds to replace it for a long time, I had a GS at the time and it had a lot of small (but expensive if not under warranty) niggles by the time it was 3.5 years old and had 18k on the clock.

4 years and @22,000 trouble free miles later with the S10 I saw a deal on a new KTM 1190 with £3k off, I had the funds and knew with the discount I could keep it 2 years and not lose too much if I flogged it the day the warranty expired.

The 1190 is now 2.5 years old with 16,000 miles and been almost flawless except once throwing an EDS error, bought a 1 year old 1090 last year and took this from 3k to 9k over the summer, it too was good except for throwing a "General Failure" code which persisted for half a day and then never came back.

Just bought a discounted 1290S on the same basis as I bought the 1190, for the same reason, I can get 2 seasons use out of it and not lose too much if I sell it on before the warranty expires.

As far as I am concerned they can stick the TFT Screen, Keyless ignition and Semi Active Suspension somewhere dark and smelly, it does little to add to the riding experience and is just an expensive failure waiting to happen, the screens and ignitions are already causing problems on brand new bikes, AFAIK the semi active suspension is not problematic (yet) but when it does fuck up you will need a new shock and control unit and it will cost about £2k to fix - contrast to a quality shock (Ohlins, Wilburs, Nitron) which can be serviced for under £100.

I am not sure if people generally want all this crap, or are having it forced on them as the tech arms race between BMW, KTM and Ducati rages, not sure we wanted the speed race that raged for 30 years either, I had a GPZ900R, ZZR1100 and ZZR1400 - none were bought for the top speed, upgrades were based on better handling and wanting a newer machine. Lower weight, better suspension and more torque was valued over top speed - but I helped the sales charts that probably convinced them everyone wanted a faster bike.

I would prefer a simpler 1290S version I would have confidence to keep for 5+ years and 50,000 miles, rather than something that will be a liability at 2-3 years old, a basic S and high tech SE Models would work for me, those wanting all the crap can have it, those who don't save a few quid and a load of aggro.

The S10 is a nice bike, I loved mine and have a lot of fond memories, but it is a bit bland and lacks excitement, take a lot of the unnecessary tech of the 1290 and it would very likely be close to the Yamaha for reliability, I could let it off not quite matching the longevity of the Yamaha engine seeing as it has 50% more power and is 1000% more fun!

Good luck with the S10

My fall back position is the same - if I get fed up of having to buy a new bike every 2 years, or start finishing my journeys on a breakdown truck I can always sell the KTM and easily buy another S10 with the proceeds.
Rasher,

I enjoyed reading your level headed thoughts on the subject.
I too would love to see the 1290 adventure in a format that took away all the electronics and extras that I don't want and often fail.
There's no doubting the handling, brakes and motor on these bikes, but all the electronics is a recipe for reliability issues down the line.
As you say if ktm made a 1290 se that would be something I'd definately buy.
At the moment i cover over 1200 miles per month commuting and tend to do 1 or 2 tours of europe a year each covering 4.5 - 6k miles, for me the gamble of keeping the ktm isn't an option.
I know all the extras are being added by the manufacturers trying to out do each other, which is fine as they obviously have customers who want these? But I do wish they would make the same engine sized models in a must simpler platform for those who want the simple life and reliability.
I know I shall miss the ktm and the super tenere, is a much lesser bike in many aspects...... But I need a dependable work horse and that's what they offer.

Sent from whatever I'm using at the time

Interesting debate fellas. I had the 1200 GSA LC and found all the “on the fly” automatic suspension adjustments quite intrusive and a real distraction. And the “connectivity” between phone, gps, bike and lid never worked well for me.

So I got the 1290 R with good old fashioned manual suspension which so far has been brilliant, and just use the phone connected directly to my Sena so I can listen to music and directions with ease.

And I’m lucky to be able to afford a PanEuropean for my commuting, which is a much easier prospect when the weather is poor.

I guess in years to come they will get the auto adjust and reliability right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good luck with the S10

Rasher, this is one of the most balanced posts I've seen in a long time.

Loved my 990SMT and was disappointed KTM didn't evolve the line. I guess sales never really hit the mark in a world where unless you have a 40 Megapixel camera on your phone it's not going to get to get enough press attention.

Like a lot here I've been around the block a few times & after chasing the dream for too long time I'm moving back to basics. Doesn't help when KTM still can't offer extended warranties in the UK. Maybe the 790 will hit the mark.

Back
Top Bottom