1150 gs Rattle/chirp from left cylinder

Advice regarding drilling out the stud Please ignore me if you already know this ;)

Use a variable speed drill Invest in some new cobalt drill bits don't try to drill with some old pre used bits.

Grind the end of the stud flat, use a significantly smaller Cobalt drill bit to the stud diameter (left handed if poss)

Have a cup of cold water nearby drill slowly into the stud so you see material coming off the stud as central and straight as you can. occasionally dip the drill bit into the water to cool it then carry on at variable but slow speed. You should see more material coming out from the bit.
Don't be tempted to drill fast. once you have gone as deep as you dare use a slightly larger cobalt bit.

The heat and lack of solid material should loosen up the stud and it may come out without the need to helicoil.

luckily I've got cobalt drills from 2mm to 8.5mm in .1mm sizes so I can creep out to size. Yes sometimes you can get lucky and drill out all the stud except the thread but it does require being absolutely dead square in the middle! Ideally I'd stick it on the mill but I don't want to remove the head if I can avoid it. If the drills wander off I guess I'll just have to take it off. I'm not a fan of broken screw extractors, I've seen more snap off than get the screw out and then you've really got problems. Just need the stud to give me the depth, unless anyone has the depth of the hole to hand?

Ah great you know what your doing forgot to mention screw extractors, I never use them for that reason good luck and hope you are all sorted out soon :thumb

ok stud replaced. What nightmare one, much easier on a bench. just need my new gaskets and ill give it a try. If they don't make it through tomorrow i'll put it together with the old gaskets ad see if the noise has gone.

All quiet now, it was indeed the exhaust gasket. How a lowly exhaust gasket can make such a horrendous noise i'll never now. Anyway thanks for the help everyone.

All quiet now, it was indeed the exhaust gasket. How a lowly exhaust gasket can make such a horrendous noise i'll never now. Anyway thanks for the help everyone.

Years ago my friend aquired a DT400 wasn't running so faffed about wi it n managed to get it fired up the it proceeded to make an almighty screeching noise like there wasn't any oil in the petrol n seizing the piston quickly turned it off an had a look at it turned out the cylinder head was slightly loose n the noise was the glasses escaping thru the head gasket..tightened them all down evenly and no noise..jus goes to show how a slightly loose fitting can make the weirdest noise

Back
Top Bottom