Perhaps something to think about for your bike runs 2019 in Scotland?

Kaybe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,I am part of the Dundee Biker forum and this is our second year for trying a wee simple competition amongst ourselves during the "biking season".
Last year the prize was a Mars Bar for completion (I have copy of that should anyone be interested.)
Anyway here is this year's competition. I wasn't thinking competition for ourselves here, unless there was a demand, rather just sharing an idea.
Bit of fun, might stimulate some here to go visit places suggested.
Below is extract from the Dundee Biker page-

"So here we are, 2019 a new year and with it comes a fresh bike challenge to consider.

This year I have done the challenge, more around a point system. :comfort
Think orienteering when planning.
That way I think it offers a bit of flexibility and I have also allowed for those who may already have a 2019 biking plan in mind to areas outside of UK as they will get some credit for it in the challenge. :clap

As before there is a map with locations and I also prepared a simple score sheet.

(Can send by email to get copy see end of thread)

Last year I offered a Mars Bar for first person to complete, and if you recall I also extended my generosity and said a Mars Bar for anyone who completed during the time window starting from 1st May to end of 30th September.

Only one Mars Bar was claimed, although I know many got involved and had a bit of fun.
That was a cheap get out for me.:D

As this year is a bit more involved, points mean prizes, I have extended the time window to start from March to the end of October. A generous eight months. :thumb
All I ask is that you get some photographic evidence that shows you at the location with something that can date stamp the day. Like a newspaper heading / MCN or something.
Speaking of which don’t forget to enrol in MCN’s 5000 mile Challenge for 2019.

Therefore for the first person to achieve a confirmed 83 points I will donate a fine bottle of whisky for their efforts. :beerjug::beerjug:
Thereafter, as before, a Mars Bar for any others who manage to get an 83 score or above.

By now you will know I pick places which have some interest and / or by taking you to the place there should be some decent biking roads.

There are 21 destinations to choose from but you need to do two from the first four to get a valid score.

Description / Mileage* / Points

Outer Hebrides, get a POI photo of your choice / 600 /10

Orkney, get a POI photo of your choice /600 /10

Play a Joker-trip to Ireland / Europe / TT /600 /10

Lake District - Hardknott and Wrynose Passes /500 /10

Achiltibuie Post Office, Ullapool (plus Assynt loops?) /500 / 9

Kylea- GlenElg ferry (Ferry sign) / 400 /8

Crinan Canal (use ferry at Tarbert?) /300 / 7

Plodda Falls /330 /6

Findhorn Bridge + Wade Bridge @ Whitebrides /320 / 6

Forest Drive, Hexham (Entry sign) /270 /6

Langholm - consider Chilli Festival? /340 /5

Ardarch Bell Tower and Church /260 /5

Glen Etive - Skyfall road. (Then time for the “Loop”?) /250 /5

Lossiemouth - The Chippy /250 /4

Duke's Pass, Aberfolye (3 Loch's Forest drive sign) /130 /4

Eddleston - Map of Scotland /160 / 3

Portach (Bridge) 120. // 3

Knockhill Race circuit ( Front sign) (day at the races?) / 90 /3

MacRae Memorial /90 /2

Powmill Milkbar /90 /2

Drumore Loch boathouse /70 /2

Apology but table bit messy but hopefully get the idea.

You will see there are necessary “Ferry trips” involved and there is also an opportunity to have a bit more grouping of the destinations involved, nice for those who like a big day out, or even better making a weekend, or few days of it.
Some can even be done on a fine summer evening / chippy run.

* Mileage estimate based on return from / to the Chippy run car park, Dundee.

When you do go to some of the places, think about what else might be nearby in the area.
Remember it is not just the destination but the journey.

Plus for those who still want to complete the 2018 set, please go for it, as there is still the offer of a Mars Bar for completing.
Some might even find an opportunity to combine 2018 with 2019 sites?

Safe trip and use this thread to add your photo evidence.

Look forward to all your journeys’ tales.

:flag:flag

I have prepared a specific 2019 spreadsheet I can send with a bit more details, just drop me a line to;
Karel.Burgoyne@btinternet.com

Back
Top Bottom