Replacement gear change lever rubber?

sye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not listed in the parts fiche and can't seem to find one anywhere on t'interweb. Anyone know where I can get a replacement please?

No and even if you do, you'll probably find, as I did, that the metal end of the pedal still eats your boot. I solved this by applying shrink-fit tubing cut over size and as it shrinks with heat it wraps itself around the end of the pedal.
I know you're going for an original finish but the original is a stupid design.

Thanks for the links King Rat. Looks like the Aprilia one is nearest.
Mike, is there a better alternative lever from another model?

I think the usual swap is for an F650GS one. They're steel and can be bent back into shape in the event of a spill, whereas the alloy one can break. It's many years since I last rode an F650GS though, so I don't know if the pedal performs the same boot eating trick as the XCountry one.

Thanks for the links King Rat. Looks like the Aprilia one is nearest.

Fit a steel lever from a single cylinder F650 (it is the same engine - the X version is slightly tweeked). The steel lever will bend in the event of an off, or catching a rock. The original is aluminium alloy, a hard Al alloy that will not bend and the gear box selector shaft will break before the gear lever breaks - as plenty of people have found out, that is why this is such a common modification. Don't be tempted with a £12 Chinky folding ends one - they are also hard alloy! Just stump up the £25 for a steel one.

Back
Top Bottom