BasCamp - RIP

Evolution I think. I have Mapsource and Basecamp. Both still work and I suspect will continue to work for a time. But eventually we will migrate onto the newest system.

It'll give Wapping something to get his teeth into anyway ;)

But eventually we will migrate onto the newest system.

Don't think there is anything in the pipeline.
I might give QGIS a whirl. I installed it and had a shufty, but my head hurts now.

Wapping’s piss will be boiling. :rob

Evolution I think. I have Mapsource and Basecamp. Both still work and I suspect will continue to work for a time. But eventually we will migrate onto the newest system.

Why will we have to migrate, as long as your OS keeps supporting it

That forum says that Garmin Expore has replaced Basecamp, but that’s for sports devices not vehicle navigation units. So is there something in development? Garmin do need to up their game and launch an app to plot routes, transferable via Bluetooth or WiFi, as the Tomtom app is a game changer.

That forum says that Garmin Expore has replaced Basecamp, but that’s for sports devices not vehicle navigation units. So is there something in development? Garmin do need to up their game and launch an app to plot routes, transferable via Bluetooth or WiFi, as the Tomtom app is a game changer.

I thought you was ditchin’ yer TomTom and returnin’ Garmin?

Anywayz, does you do root plottin’?

:beerjug:

I thought you was ditchin’ yer TomTom and returnin’ Garmin?

Anywayz, does you do root plottin’?

:beerjug:

Yep, I’m back to Garmin, but did plot a few routes with the tomtom, which was a doddle on an iPad, compared to Basecamp.

No surprise. I think the developers and testers will breath a sigh of relief not to have to update this behemoth!

Could it be that Garmin have seen the writing on the wall - that just about everyone now has a smart phone with good satnav and route plotting ability - and as such there's little commercial sense in continuing to work on, or develop a new, Basecamp

No surprise. I think the developers and testers will breath a sigh of relief not to have to update this behemoth!

Garmin included all the bells and whistles, as blokes on motorbikes demanded them. If you just use it for plotting a route A to D, via B and C, it works very well.

Anyway, like Mapsource, it’ll probably still work quite happily for years to come. As to what comes afterwards? We shall see and it might be a while yet..... or it could be, tomorrow.

As a basecamp user on an iMac I have a question. If I read it correctly the next Mac OS after Mojave will be 64 bit only so Basecamp being 32 bit will not work, is this correct?
if so I have two options either do not upgrade and use Basecamp or upgrade and find a suitable mapping program which will work on the upgraded iMac. If I am correct I would tend towards the latter option.
I use a Garmin 395, plot simple routes and enter co-ordinates to find a specific address sometimes.
Hope someone can help me out here.
Cheers
Paul

Been using My Route App on the mac (Cloud) for the last year or so, really like it and its easy to transfer routes to any device, including Garmin.

I'll miss basecamp. I use a Montanna, and when I'm at home I plan on Basecamp as I can see the big picture. Also handy for loading maps onto my gps.

As a windows user, Fingers crossed this stays working.

Merv.

Iirc motogoloco.co.uk can plot routes, import others ie Ride routes, share them and output them in form that TT and Garmin will work with.
As web based you can access from any pc and tx routes by usb cable so good on the fly replanning where necessary

I also stumbled across furkot

Free, but if you want the whistles and bells its $14 a year.
Looks good and does Topo mapping, (paid version). You can have a free trial though.

Iirc motogoloco.co.uk can plot routes, import others ie Ride routes, share them and output them in form that TT and Garmin will work with.
As web based you can access from any pc and tx routes by usb cable so good on the fly replanning where necessary

If they added a feature to transfer wirelessly via WiFi or Bluetooth from an iPad or iPhone, it would be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom