Exhaust gasses and luggage

BADGER999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just been looking at loads of previous posts concerning running a y-piece and standard can....and the potential problems of melting various bits of plastic. I have just bought a bike that is running this set up and am just weighing up luggage options. My preferred choice is TT zega pros ( cos I already have the panniers so only need to buy the frames ) but I was also thinking about the system cases because the bike came fitted with the rails :nenau. Any experience of these set ups or advice on which way to go would be appreciated.

My left hand pannier is pretty scorched closest to the exhaust - Y piece and Remus. I love the sound, but be aware the pannier is being blasted with a hot air gun!
Maybe a piece of exhaust bandage or alloy held off the surface would give enough protection?

I have y piece and standard can running with system panniers no problem with panniers but can warm up number plate, that is sorted with a pressed metal no plate

Its pretty much cleaner than normal, its one of those that gets used every day ☺
In the summer the exhaust was warming the pannier, and I figured that was a way of sorting it ��

All a bit confusing really in that there doesn’t seem to be any answer........some seem to have had issues with panniers melting and others appear to have run plastic panniers and a de-cat y piece with no problems. Heading to Spain this summer so need to try to make sure my undercrackers don’t get scorched :eek:

All a bit confusing really in that there doesn’t seem to be any answer........some seem to have had issues with panniers melting and others appear to have run plastic panniers and a de-cat y piece with no problems. Heading to Spain this summer so need to try to make sure my undercrackers don’t get scorched :eek:

Put them in the other pannier then. Simples! :D

There is but one simple and inexpensive answer, fit a Stubby (although you will need the OEM headers and Cat box) this negates the need for a 'silencer' of any sort and keeps hot gas well away from your undergarments.

Your current Y-piece and OEM silencer can be tamed with an extension piece but you are only transferring the problem further aft, where there are other things to melt.

There is but one simple and inexpensive answer, fit a Stubby (although you will need the OEM headers and Cat box) this negates the need for a 'silencer' of any sort and keeps hot gas well away from your undergarments.

Your current Y-piece and OEM silencer can be tamed with an extension piece but you are only transferring the problem further aft, where there are other things to melt.

Noticed the stubby route is popular on this site but have inherited this set up with y piece and standard silencer so would be loathed to spend on a cat and stubby. Wondered whether some heat shield sheet on the plastic pannier would be of help.....

Back
Top Bottom