Another Tyre Thread - 1290 (1190)

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone tried the "latest and greatest" Michelin Road 5 Trail or Metzeler Sportec 01 rubber? They seem to get rave reviews and Ride magazine did a wet weather test where these two tyres really stood out, the Bridgestone T31's were also right up there, but I think these are likely to be more sport than tour. My guess is the Michelins will be the ones most likely to last a while.

My OE tyres will not last long on my new 1290, by the 1st week in July it will of had a trip to the Pyrenees and another to the Alps under its belt.

Strongly considering new tyres just before the 1st trip, which should also see out the second one (as they are close together and under 4,500 miles combined) I could then throw the OE ones back on to see me around until next year.

I suppose I may decide I love the OE tyres, but the huge gaps in the tread towards the edge of the tyres always puts me off, my thinking is sporty tyres go slick towards the edge for a reason - more grip, so reverse engineering this so it "Looks cool" on a 160BHP touring motorcycle is at odds with me.

I suppose any comments on how good the OE tyres are would also be welcome, the Conti's that came with the 1190 were fine in the dry, but damned scary in the wet - which is where I want a lot more reassurance.

I suppose any comments on how good the OE tyres are would also be welcome, the Conti's that came with the 1190 were fine in the dry, but damned scary in the wet - which is where I want a lot more reassurance.

I appreciate I'm on 21/18 wheels but I am constantly astounded by just how good the Conti's are, wet or dry. I've tried other tyres and just come back to Conti's as the work so well on the bike.

Andres

You know what, just for once I have to say that I found the OE tyres on my S were actually pretty good. Stable. No real issues.

For the Picos trip last year I switched to the PR5's. Of course you have to accept that fresh tyres will always feel pretty good, but the PR5's felt amazing. They are quicker steering and suit the S very nicely. However - 1. when coming to a complete stop, at lights for example, you have to put your foot down earlier. That's down to the sportier profile. 2. If I was doing say 40-45mph and let go of the bars....like you do....to look cool and that....innit....(don't tell my fellow IAM peeps or it'll spoil there day to know there's a nutter in the camp) the bars would quite often start to shake. Easily corrected with one finger on the bar, but I don't like it. Now is that the PR5's? I've heard of this issue on other 1290S's. Never noticed it on the stock tyres and I'm pretty sure I would have, but I had loaded panniers (no top box, Bumot's, hard fixed to frame, no floaty mounts). I tried all the rider/pillion/luggage/no luggage settings and it was the same or similar.

Anyway, in terms of beautiful steering precision, the PR5's are easily as good as Roadtec 01's. Had a few moments on the 01's but none so far on the PR's. My 5p.

I started with the standard Pirelli’s which I thought were pretty good,then moved onto the Metzeler Roadtec01’s which were better all round for sport and wet riding.

I then tried the Michelin Road 5’s with great anticipation, especially as I have them on my despatch bike, a Honda NC750 and love them. They’ve been sublime throughout winter so far on wet, cruddy, salty roads on the 55bhp NC. However they just didn’t seem to work as well on the 1290. They were great in the rain but lacked a certain sense of feel in the dry. Plus they wore quickly and in a strange way. The tyre fitters commented on the wear as well, saying it’s not the first time they’d seen it.

I wasn’t impressed on the 1290 (tyre pressures were correct) and after 4000 miles they were so square and felt horrible despite having some tread left. Unlike the Metzlers which still held a reasonable profile at that mileage.

I’ve now fitted Conti Road Attack 3’s to try them but not done enough miles to comment fairly though first impressions are good. I use the NC when there’s salt on the roads plus been off the bike for a while after an operation.

At this moment I’d rate the Metzeler first, then the Pirelli, then Michelin last. Conti position still to be decided but I feel they’ll be up,there with the Metzlers vying for top spot.

Confusing hey as the opposite to how Apex feels. That’s forum’s and peoples opinions on tyres. One mans meat is another mans poison

I had Conti Road Attack 3’s on mine, and was very impressed with them. They were fitted on a wet day, so I got to try the wet weather performance immediately, as I had to get to an appointment quickly, and I was very impressed with them.

I appreciate I'm on 21/18 wheels but I am constantly astounded by just how good the Conti's are, wet or dry. I've tried other tyres and just come back to Conti's as the work so well on the bike.

Andres

I've never had a moment on TA2s in the wet, and I've had a few pairs on 4 bikes.

I had Conti Road Attack 3’s on mine, and was very impressed with them. They were fitted on a wet day, so I got to try the wet weather performance immediately, as I had to get to an appointment quickly, and I was very impressed with them.

Same here; had mine fitted on a wet day and the CRA 3's performed to perfection; and they're bloody superb in the dry :D

I have the Conti Road Attack 3's and can't wait to get rid of them! I have no confidence in them whatsoever.
Just shows you that you have try things for yourself!

I have the Conti Road Attack 3's and can't wait to get rid of them! I have no confidence in them whatsoever.

I had the same experience opting to try something different and couldn't wait to peel them off again. A mate has them and loves them. We ride the same roads in the same conditions at the same pace. Guess it's just in our heads!

Funny old game.

Really? Why? What didn’t inspire confidence, as mine were bloody awesome.

How odd....were they fitted back to front? :D

Just doing similar research for my XR as I posted recently. I quite like the T31 as fitted to the bike now - no idea how long they last as I bought the bike with them part worn and no record of the mileage when fitted. Been pretty good on wet, slimy, Cotswold roads in recent weeks.

Avon Storm 3D XM are a lot cheaper than the ones you list. Work well on my R1200RS and favoured by Hayabusa riders. £195 a pair.

Chris Mullins in Gloucester is £20 cheaper for a set of T31 than Witney Tyres (Merityre) - £270 against £290. R5 are £290 a pair in Gloucester so I will choose between the T31 & Avons once the freezing weather has fucked off. Prices are for a fully fitted, ride in, ride out service.

Had Dunlop Rd Smart 3's on GT1300 they were really good
Any body no if they do them in a 19inch front for a KTM 1190 and obviously 17 inch rear

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Had Dunlop Rd Smart 3's on GT1300 they were really good
Any body no if they do them in a 19inch front for a KTM 1190 and obviously 17 inch rear

2 minutes on google will find all sizes and prices from a number of vendors.

Running Roadsmart 3's on my 1190, rear is almost new so will chuck on another front which will see it around until next year, Road 5's will replace OE 1290 Tyres for my first trip away in May and I will keep OE tyres which I will probably chuck back on for local ride-outs after my two foreign trips, got 4500 foreign miles to do which will probably shag the Road 5 rear.

Decided to stay in the Conti family, and had a set of Trail Attack 3's fitted the other day ready for, amongst other things, the July trip to the Pico's with Nutty.

Early impressions.....rather good; new rubber (with traction skin/multi-grip technology.....:green gri) is always nice, especially on dry/warm roads....they even put black wheel weights on for me :clap

Just ordered a pair of Dunlop TrailSmart Max's based on what others have said on the Adv forum, cost £207. Was also considering the T31's.

Fitted Road 5's, but only done a quick ride to make sure they are balanced and all OK after me fitting wheels, steering felt slower than OE rubber, but will form a proper opinion in the Pyrenees shortly :)

Really? Why? What didn’t inspire confidence, as mine were bloody awesome.

Sorry Nutty just seen this. I fitted the Contis for a trip to Spain and in the extreme heat over there (last year), I had plenty of slides, one of which very nearly ruined my holiday!

Not for me!

Andres

I've never had a moment on TA2s in the wet, and I've had a few pairs on 4 bikes.

Decided to stay in the Conti family, and had a set of Trail Attack 3's fitted the other day ready for, amongst other things, the July trip to the Pico's with Nutty.

Early impressions.....rather good; new rubber (with traction skin/multi-grip technology.....:green gri) is always nice, especially on dry/warm roads....they even put black wheel weights on for me :clap

There’s a thread within a thread here as the 1290S and similar have 19/17 wheels whereas the Rs have 21/18 wheels.
Unless I’m wrong, you can’t get the Conti Road Attacks for the 21/18 fit but you can for 19/17.Same with other brands,as the 19/17 offer a more road-biased fitment.

I’ve had at least one bike with 21/18 wheels constantly for the last 15 years.

I seem to recall that Pirelli Scorpion (MT90 ??) were the early choice back in 2004 ish but then I used Conti TA2s for many years on bikes such as my 950 Superenduro,1290R and Africa Twin .

I now have Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs on both my ATAS and 790R.

410922443229efbd16d025a0ce4f9262.jpg

They are a revelation.So much better than the TA2s in terms of feel and grip.Even though the tread looks quite blocky, they seem to have more contact with the road than the less blocky TA2s.
I’ve also done a few trails/tracks and they are fine.Thoroughly recommend them.
Haven’t tried TA3s but I hear they are good too.

Back
Top Bottom