2005 GS

Blue Budgie

Reaction score
2005 GS
A friend of mine has asked me about a 2005 GS he is thinking of buying and asked my advice, as to what to look out for.
Not having any experience of the earlier air cooled models, I have no idea, so would appreciate help from those members that do.
Many thanks.

Most stuff should be sorted by now. What’s the history? Private sale? Mileage? Condition? Fuel pump controller springs to mind. There’s a huge difference between a well minded bike and a bike that’s been neglected. JJH

Check rear wheel play and oil leaks in case final drive needs overhaul.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As already mentioned, weak points were the FD (check for lateral play), fuel pump controllers could fail (easy/cheap to fix), Servo/ABS (if fitted) could be problematical, front engine cover corrosion, oh and the ignition switch 'ring antennae' could sometimes play up.

Other than that I can't think of anything in particular over and above the usual stuff you'd check on any bike.

Andres

There is a recall on the rear brake disk carrier, due to the tapped bosses which the disc is bolted to cracking. Significant safety issue, gotta be done if there are any cracks. Hard to see with wheel on, easy to see with wheel off.
Steering lower ball joint boot should not be split - visual check.
Steering upper bearing (hides under BMW badge in centre of top yoke) should not be loose.
If well looked after, a great bike.

There was also a recall to check the fuel pump pipe connections for cracking. Needed one fitting to mine last year.

In order to check if all the recalls have been performed on the bike, a dealer will be able to check based on the plate number.

If it has working ABS it will be the old type. Best avoided as they fail and cost Megabux to replace.

It might be lucky and have a float type fuel gauge. If it's a fuel strip - it wont be working for long.

If it has working ABS it will be the old type. Best avoided as they fail and cost Megabux to replace.

It might be lucky and have a float type fuel gauge. If it's a fuel strip - it wont be working for long.

Might be a bargain then -

Servoectomise - save 6kg of excess weight, and not have to worry

Float type only on base level models (ZFE basic / low) if i recall

what does Servoectomise mean?

ABS2 is the later type with designed to fail brushes in the motor.... DIY on youtube or 250 elsewhere guaranteed for life, pain to get the unit off the bike - still breaking the £1500 new part on current bikes
recall on ABS2 bikes for fracturing brake pipes
recall for water in fuel pump relay
recall for fuel pump hose connector fracturing
recall for rear wheel falling off (alloy hub swapped for steel)
nasty battery without enough grunt to start the bike
rear bevel wears out even with 12k service intervals for the filled for life unit
TPMS sensor last 7 years
Heated grips last 7 years
expect coil packs and CAT sensors to die any minute

I recently had a 100000 mile 2005 GS loaner and it rode really well . Plus you could leave it in the favias in Mexico and it would bot get nicked 😎

what does Servoectomise mean?

ABS2 is the later type with designed to fail brushes in the motor.... DIY on youtube or 250 elsewhere guaranteed for life, pain to get the unit off the bike - still breaking the £1500 new part on current bikes
recall on ABS2 bikes for fracturing brake pipes
recall for water in fuel pump relay
recall for fuel pump hose connector fracturing
recall for rear wheel falling off (alloy hub swapped for steel)
nasty battery without enough grunt to start the bike
rear bevel wears out even with 12k service intervals for the filled for life unit
TPMS sensor last 7 years
Heated grips last 7 years
expect coil packs and CAT sensors to die any minute

Servoectomy -
Removal of the Problematic Type 1 ABS servo unit - Abs 2 unit not fitted until 08/06
Gives you normal non linked & non ABS braking
Cost around £50

All the recalls will be FOC so nothing to worry about there ;) i still have an outstanding recall for a sticker to be placed on my fueltank lol

Battery - replace with Motobatt or Odessey
Cost £60-£150

Rear hubs do fail - Mikeyboy from this parish will refurb POA

TPMS - ??
Are you talking Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - not fitted to MY05 if i recall

Or TPS Throttle Position Sensor ?
Cost £40 -Hella unit plug & play

Heated grips
James Sherlock / Motorworks / Ebay / or on here

Coil packs - 2 types
Black body or silver body

Unfortunatly no pattern or non oe equivalent have been found
Cost roughly £100 each new or about half that SH on the bay or breakers

thanks for the bit about early ABS mod, the later ones works well till it breaks (dealers actually look at the fluid change intervals if it wasn't done they like to run the motor till it fails pretending its your fault.... nice little earner with 1k profit if the owner pays for them to fix drive in drive out).

TPMS is what the world calls tyre pressure sensors, in BMW land its the German acronym RDC

Back
Top Bottom