Autocom SPA, BTM03 and an R1200rt avoiding bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisJF

Where does this bit go ?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This year's project is a 2013-reg camhead R1200RT with both the BMW audio pack, the wonderwheel and the Nav6 GPS which is of course bluetooth-oriented and which has immediately plunged me into confusion. The more I read here and elsewhere about bluetooth issues the more confused I get:nenau

Up until now I have used an Autocom SPA and various Zumos wired-in when toddling along and everything worked well enough. Just to be contrary I'd like to stick with the Autocom and the helmet headsets for use on the RT as I don't want a bluetooth helmet. Faffing around recharging Bluetooth helmet speakers at the end of the day is not what I want.. :rob

I've just bought the latest Autocom BTM03 gadget that plugs into the Autocom and which is claimed to be fully compatible with BMW Bluetooth systems, up to and including the TFT bikes. but unfortunately there's no operating guide.

What I would like to do is use the Autocom/BTM03 to
(a) hear the GPS prompts when navigating
(b) hear the radio. Radio 4, of course.:thumb
and
(c) listen to MP3 tracks as and when. I gather a microSD card can be plugged into a radio iPod lead adapter (?) to allow the wonderwheel to work here rather than in the Nav6 where it is disabled when the unit is in the mounting cradle (?).

I'm not interested in using a mobile phone on the bike so in theory this should simplify things?

Has anyone got experience of this approach and can they suggest how to pair the RT radio, the Nav6 and the BTM03 and the best sequence to do it?

Thanks in advance

<strike></strike>

I have had a 2005RT and now a 2014 RTLC, neither of which is identical to your system. You have to read posts very carefully to understand what machine the authors are referring to.

I would pair the Nav6 to the BTM3 and plug that into the highest priority socket on the Autocom - usually a mobile phone socket. I like having the GPS instructions override everything else.

I would wire the radio into the Autocom using either lead 2275 or 2273 and plug that into the music socket of the Autocom. That way you will get the very best sound quality from the radio.

I am not awfully impressed with the FM quality on BMW radios, possibly because I listen through in-ear monitors which register the tiniest crackle and hiss. I have now switched to a Dension DAB+U DAB radio which is powered from the USB port and where the radio stations appear as USB tracks. In other words I can change stations from the wonder-wheel.

Hope this helps

Thanks Richard & John - I wasn't sure which forum was appropriate

Chris

This should work

After much head-scratching, I think this is the way forward :

Attachments

• GPS Autocom schematic 2019.jpg
    GPS Autocom schematic 2019.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 551
Hi Chris,

I am going to change my mind on this. After doing a google search , it appears that if you have the genuine BMW SatNav mount then you can connect to part of the wiring harness in the fairing which will make the SatNav instructions play thought the speakers.
In this case you would not have to use the BTM03 at all and the sound quality would be better.

Hope this helps.

Hello John

thanks as always. :beerjug:

I have a Nav VI mount so that simplifies things - I'll check the connexions asap.

all now sorted - a usb thumb drive can be used to play MP3 tracks if it is plugged into the accessory lead in the glovebox (the Nav 6' media player is disabled when its in the 4-button mount). Other than this all's well - crystal clear sounds in my autocom helmet headset while the "wonderwheel" works with both the BMW audio systems and the Nav 6.

The wonderwheel features on twin-cam RTs are not as "integrated" as on later LC/TFT bikes but I'm happy enough.

Thread closed - thanks again to John and those who pm'd with advice. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom