The TMF has an off - Investigation please

Fat Biker 66

Reaction score
Guys the Flyer has had a slow speed tumble on his trust steady see the vid from 13.46 onwards https://youtu.be/-T9qLmD4CWQ

Tosser investigation team please. Some quesitons?

As fat git how do I pick up my GS? In the vid, he lifts it up with his back to the bike, does his reach around /over and lowers side stand. Having the arm proportions of Tex I am not going to reach

Comments, please.

Mod apologies as serious question about picking up the bike so warranted LC section, not in Backchat section

There are a couple of methods, the one he used is favoured by the Harley crowd .The other methods is once the bike is turned off ,is pointing the front wheel upwards and use the length of the handlebars as leverage for the lift [BMW School style].

One thing he forgot to do as he was lifting from the off side,was to put the stand down before lifting so the bike didnt tumble over the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhUj7EJhZiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSgJ8O_atIs

It is quite easy to balance the bike once its up so you could walk round to put the stand down if needed

As an expert at picking the bike up :blast....As others have said "Put the side stand down first" and if it's not already in gear, "put it in gear" as for balancing the bike and walking round it on mud could be asking for another drop when your full of adrenalin and more than likely out of puff :drool

Before you do anything 'Stand back and take stock of the situation' Do a lot of swearing and when you have finally calmed down, catch the bus home.

Before you do anything 'Stand back and take stock of the situation' Do a lot of swearing and when you have finally calmed down, catch the bus home.

... is that before or after you've had a good look round to see if anyone saw you drop the bike!

Just to add ... in my experience it's better to use the "back to the bike" method if you've ever had any sort of bad back issue, it puts much less strain on your lower back.

As an expert at picking the bike up :blast....As others have said "Put the side stand down first" and if it's not already in gear, "put it in gear" as for balancing the bike and walking round it on mud could be asking for another drop when your full of adrenalin and more than likely out of puff :drool

Absolutely. If I had taken your advice I wouldn’t have a compressed disc and a fractured vertebra :blast

Having said that, the GS is one of the easiest bikes to pick up, purely because the cylinders prevent the bike going over completely (except perhaps on very uneven terrain) and the long handlebars provide a good lever. I found the F800GSA far harder to lift (see above). Side stand out if on right side and bike in gear as others have said to prevent another drop...

Also good to have something like a strap to hold on the front brake. A glove may do the job.

Aye but what if the bike is lying on your leg. and the pot is cooking your patella?

Ged

Oh I dont know ,I was talking to a chap in Morrison car park yesterday who had broken his ankle after the bike fell trapping it under the steel pannier.

Well we do need to fill our bellies sometimes and it beats going to that infamous coffee shop :D

Back
Top Bottom