ANDALUCIA in March, fly-drive and walking

daytripper!

Reaction score
Fly / drive visit to Andulucia early March. I tend to ride wearing a mesh jacket with liner in, bmw summer troos (oversuit at the ready) and walking boots. Can anyone suggest a scenic spot to ride to which offers say half day walks taking in views (valley or mtn) and the occassional eagle etc. Google is not being my friend re National Park info so any advice welcome (Caminito del Rey is booked for 11am on the first day of the hol!). Cheers all!

I have started you a fresh thread, to save you hijacking the one about Andalucia in December, when you are going in March. You also want information on where to go walking. Bods will maybe miss your appeal, buried where it was.

I found some ideas on Google in under 10 seconds. Buy the book and a decent scale local map, would be my suggestion for a potentially tip-top place to start.

Try a hiking forum. They ride motorbikes here.

Enjoy your holiday, not much over a month to go.

PS Good to know what you’ll be wearing. Interesting.

WALKING IN ANDALUCIA BY GUY HUNTER WATTS

Walking in Andalucía is a 260 page full colour guide to some of the very best walks in southern Spain, taking the walker on 34 routes - all starting and most finishing in beautiful villages - in the Natural Parks of Grazalema, La Alpujarra, Cazorla, Los Alcornocales, Aracena, and La Axarquia. Many of the full and half day walks are virtually unknown even....

a998dceedc669048edb9b65e799bb9fa.jpg

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/walking-in-andalucia

http://www.andalucia.com/rural/walking.htm

http://www.andalucia.org/en/routes/types/nature-routes/hiking-routes/

It’s truly amazing where Google takes you in so little time. I found this, too:

Walks around Gaucin: 21 walks based on the iconic southern Andalucian village of Gaucin: Volume 2 (Walking in Southern Andalucia)

It’s available on Amazon. They’ll even deliver it to your door too, tomorrow. What’s more, Amazon do a tidy package:

793b6274af19e2f3f9a1e18983b56cb6.jpg

I’m sure there’s more. Did you really try?

Half day you say. Mmmm ok, drive to Frigiliana in the Axarquia region - a beautiful little village with plenty of cafes and restaurants. From the village you can take a hike up to the summit of El Fuerte for a great view across the sierras and down to the sea.

If it’s birds you like, and you are near Estepona, take a trip to casares, but just before is a little valley called Acedia. Take the gravel road as far as you can and park up. Keep walking and you’ll go by a griffin vulture feeding station. If you are lucky enough they’ll be there. Keeping walking up to the little waterfall.

Glenn

Muchas gracias gents (and Wapping!) ALL advice duly noted, itinerary now inc Frigiliana & Nerja area for variety-any coastal walk suggestions welcome!! Prob with guide books is that they go out of date, eg internet says the ‘must do’ Caminito del Rey Walk of Death now open (we have tickets :eek: ) but the books say closed. Also books often focus on the more strenuous stuff so most of the content goes unused by ‘average’ walkers. Hence my asking on here for a bit of local walking knowledge. By the way Mr Wapping, the reason I mentioned clothing that can be used for both safe motorcycling and walking is that not everyone hires / rides a bike ‘just’ to blat around foreign roads. Ironically the hire ride aspect of this hol has had to be dropped so fly / drive only now. :mad: Anyway thanks again folks for the info supplied inc PMs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHVpIKeEh3s

Muchas gracias gents (and Wapping!) ALL advice duly noted, itinerary now inc Frigiliana & Nerja area for variety-any coastal walk suggestions welcome!! Prob with guide books is that they go out of date, eg internet says the ‘must do’ Caminito del Rey Walk of Death now open (we have tickets :eek: ) but the books say closed. Also books often focus on the more strenuous stuff so most of the content goes unused by ‘average’ walkers. Hence my asking on here for a bit of local walking knowledge. By the way Mr Wapping, the reason I mentioned clothing that can be used for both safe motorcycling and walking is that not everyone hires / rides a bike ‘just’ to blat around foreign roads. Ironically the hire ride aspect of this hol has had to be dropped so fly / drive only now. :mad: Anyway thanks again folks for the info supplied inc PMs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHVpIKeEh3s

My wife and I have walked the Caminito del Rey a couple of times now, most enjoyable, and not strenuous at all.
It pays to check the website on the day of your walk, if the weather is bad, i.e. high winds or heavy rain, they will close the walk for safety reasons.
Take your camera, the views are spectacular, and enjoy !
Cheers, Chris.

Thank you sir, your rebukes / words of wisdom are just one of the many highlights of this gem of a website!

A rebuke from Wapping is a badge of honour!

He comes across as a friendly, helpful and knowledgeable chap, with a witty line in put downs. Really he's a nasty, mean-spirited man. However, if Quins do the decent thing and let Gloucester put 50 points past them on Saturday, I may review my opinion.

:D

A rebuke from Wapping is a badge of honour!

He comes across as a friendly, helpful and knowledgeable chap, with a witty line in put downs. Really he's a nasty, mean-spirited man. However, if Quins do the decent thing and let Gloucester put 50 points past them on Saturday, I may review my opinion.

:D

I'll give you 50 points on Saturday...... as the match is on Sunday :p

Er, it's unlike me to preach about keeping on topic :doris but I sort of know the author of a new Cicerone book based in the Sierra Nevada. His wife and I have been 'carrying on' for years! :) No, no no, I mean chatting on forus and Facebook about birds and oter natures tuff, but mainly about our mutual love and ownership of husky dogs ...

We all nearly met up back in 2012 when we had a rendez-vous as I passed through Lanjaron, where they live, but they had to accompany one of their walking tour clients down to hospital in Granada after a fall and I had to press on. Bit of a shame really! :(

Enjoy

Simon

Here's their web page: https://www.spanishhighs.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom