City of London

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I own a Zumo 660.
It is a complete piece of shit and I'll be happy to get rid of it as soon as possible, but for the time being... I'm stuck with it.

Just out of curiosity, London riders: is your Garmin completely useless in the City of London (had to use it lately when relocating office)?
Like, literally it is completely unable to track you even when not in the middle of high rise buildings?

Or is it just mine being "special"?

you are surrounded by tall buildings , blocking the signal , my 550 is poor in the middle of town . Used to happen with radio's when i was a courier.

I don't have one now, but don't recall any issues with the previous one losing signals - always got me where I wanted to go.

My old 660 was dire in built up areas and would loose signal and/or re-route far too slowly.................... Can you attach an external aerial to a 660? I had one on my old Quest and it made a big difference in similar situations. If you can and you want to give it a try PM me and I'll chuck my old aerial in the post to you.

I've had a Tom Tom 550 for a year now and would never go back to Garmin (and especially a 660) for many reasons, one of them being it doesn't drop it's signal in built up areas anywhere near as much.

Andres

I had that problem with my StreetPilot III, but never with a Zumo.

Can you attach an external aerial to a 660? I had one on my old Quest and it made a big difference in similar situations. If you can and you want to give it a try PM me and I'll chuck my old aerial in the post to you.

Yes you can.
Not planning to do it to be honest.
I had a 550 before the 660, and the 550 was way better.

The 660 is too slow to draw the map, most of the time if I use it in London, it cannot keep up with me riding and it is constantly lost or trying to recalculate or on the wrong position.
Screen in 100% not visible with the sun.

Hope to replace it before spring/summer as it proved useless last summer while traveling too (the update deleted the maps the night before I was traveling to Italy with the bike).

Long story short: I really fucking hate it. Will probably throw it against a wall whenever I'll get a new one.
I was just curious if the embarrassing signal problems within Bank where limited to my unit or widespread. Once I learnt the new routes to work I won't need it anymore for city riding.

Yes you can.
Not planning to do it to be honest.
I had a 550 before the 660, and the 550 was way better.

The 660 is too slow to draw the map, most of the time if I use it in London, it cannot keep up with me riding and it is constantly lost or trying to recalculate or on the wrong position.
Screen in 100% not visible with the sun.

Hope to replace it before spring/summer as it proved useless last summer while traveling too (the update deleted the maps the night before I was traveling to Italy with the bike).

Long story short: I really fucking hate it. Will probably throw it against a wall whenever I'll get a new one.
I was just curious if the embarrassing signal problems within Bank where limited to my unit or widespread. Once I learnt the new routes to work I won't need it anymore for city riding.

I feel your pain :D

Andres

OP, this has the makings of an excellent rant...

Wait until I get rid of the thing... then I'll write a masterpiece. :D

If you decide that you want to get rid let me know as I have a mate who may be interested.

The City of London only covers one square mile. Get yourself west of St Paul’s, south of Monument, east of Aldgate or north of Moorgate and everything will be fine.

@Lord: it will list it here when done with it

@wapping: no idea why I can navigate easily around London, still get lost every time in the square mile :) I miss Canary Wharf now.

An external GPS reciever makes all the difference ;)

Its not constrained by the tiny case the rest of the gubbins are crammed into

When in the City of London my GPS did not show any roads

Very good.

Near Bank, I heard City of London policeman tell an American who had asked directions for Victoria Road, “There are no roads in the City of London, sir”. Looking somewhat confused, the American (who could plainly see he was stood by a road) was about to say something, when the policeman said: “We have, streets, alleys, passages, squares, lanes, a circus (I liked that one), some that are none of these, and places but no roads. You’ll be wanting Victoria Street, sir. Just over there. Mind the traffic”

Some news from this glamorous saga.

Cycled in today, did a quick test: incredibly the 70 quid, coin sized, Edge 25 on the pushbike can track you all the way through the dreaded square mile, unlike that pile of plastic encased brick of goat crap I use on my GS, aka the Zumo 660. :D

edge_bank.jpg

And yet... I already know I'm gonna replace the Zumo with another Garmin device :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom