What are the best short winter gloves?

richardbd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any recommendations for ultra-warm, waterproof gloves with a short-cuff - preferably experience-based?

And yes, I know some bods prefer heated gloves and other swear by muffs but I know what I want and why. Now I just have to find them!

:beerjug:

Rev'it and Alpinestars have a couple of winter Goretex short cuff gloves in their ranges.
Not very specific I know........buy at least it's somewhere to start.

Sent from a U11

Well I can only say don't waste nearly £200 one the Klim gortex gloves like I did.
Useless!

I like my Drystar gloves from Alpinestars - I have 2 pairs, half leather pai and a fabric pair with their own Drystar membrane. Both have insulation but I prefer to have my hands in muffs in winter to keep them toasty and especially dry. I hate putting on cold, wet gloves after a fuel stop. My finger joints get painful if really cold.

I use the gloves without the muffs outside winter and they are totally waterproof. The fabric ones are 20 years old and my goto glove if too cool or wet for the leather, summer gloves.

I have looked but neither model of glove is current. This is close to my fabric pair:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/259106

These look worth a punt for a short glove
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/407601

These are my other Drystar gloves: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/113338
short glove, half leather with the roll out, woolly cuff.

I would uses the above at 5C but below that I would want to use my muffs or the Richa Arctic Gauntlet that Ride recommend
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/69186 - no short glove will have this level of insulation

WARNING GRUMPY POST.

How the hell would I know. I have winter gloves and they are OK. Are they the best in the world? :nenau I bought to a price from the ones I found available. cognitive dissonance makes them the best in the world for me. Would they work for you? No idea. So you know what you want. What is it? It may be that for the list of features you require at the price you can afford muffs would be better. We cannot tell you that. When you buy a pair of gloves you still won't know if there are a pair of gloves somewhere else in the world that you don't know about that are objectively better. This is the world we live in (confusopoly). So go out and buy a pair of gloves safe in the knowledge that they are probably NOT the best pair, but hopefully, tick enough of your (and only your) boxes for you to be content.

.... and breath. God that feels better. :thumby: Thanks for helping. Enjoy your purchase and lots of riding.:aidan:beer::bounce1

Best wishes

Path. :mcgun

......I know what I want and why. Now I just have to find them!

So get up off your butt, go out of the door, visit some motorcycle clothing retailers and start looking.

You could start by Googling:

What are the best short cuff winter motorcycle gloves?

This will give you a very good start, often with prices, a short description and, most useful of all, pictures. Then start to use your imagination, after all you know what you want. What that is, is that you don’t need to be told.

Well I can only say don't waste nearly £200 one the Klim gortex gloves like I did.

Useless!

And me

i have had 3 pairs replaced under warranty as the gore bond shit kept coming away with my hands

Ive given up on them

Alpinestars cellar are good but not what you would describe as winter toasty

So get up off your butt, go out of the door, visit some motorcycle clothing retailers and start looking.

You could start by Googling:

What are the best short cuff winter motorcycle gloves?

This will give you a very good start, often with prices, a short description and, most useful of all, pictures. Then start to use your imagination, after all you know what you want. What that is, is that you don’t need to be told.

Thanks for your ever-helpful and creative input - nothing like a bit of friendly help and support is there?

Unless you know of a bike shop with an ice-chamber or that’s happy to let you dunk their display gloves in a bucket of cold water for half-an-hour, your “visit a retailer” suggestion is a fat lot of help. Reading manufacturer websites is also unhelpful - witness the comments of two bods above who could be arsed to contribute to answering the question. Klim’s website will tell you everything they make is the dog’s whatsits. Biker mates often have different experiences.

And as for google - try googling this one and see if you learn anything useful. I’ve tried endlessly in every way I can think of but haven’t learnt anything I didn’t know. That’s why I thought I’d ask the posse. Of course, given your evident keyboard skills, you may be more successful than me.

Fortunately one or two bods around here are still willing to help...

Thanks...nothing like a bit of friendly help and support is there?

Unless you know of a bike shop with an ice-chamber or that’s happy to let you dunk their display gloves in a bucket of cold water for half-an-hour.......

A touch melodramatic but hey, you might really be looking for gloves to ride up K2, perhaps? That’d be a true Adventure, be sure to write a report.

When it comes to ‘short cuff’ gloves (by which I guess you mean the equivalent of summer length conventional motorcycling gloves) capable of withstanding the deep winter blasts , there really is no substitute for electricity, trust me. I use Rapidfire’s glove liners, independently controlled via their Powertroller (their word, not mine). These I put inside a XXL pair of good quality, conventional waterproof leather Apollo Rukka summer gloves. I have medium sized hands but had to go right up to XXL as, though thin, the inners do conflict a bit with the conventional lining of the gloves. I have ridden in these all day down to about -8 in Luxembourg and Belgium, in absolute comfort. I have also ridden in them in pouring rain at about 2 to 3 degrees, for extended periods. Just be sure to tuck the glove’s short cuff inside your jacket, or the water will run down your sleeves. Similarly, tucking them under the jacket, will reduce the chances of draughts, chilling your wrists very quickly. Try it. It’s easier than poncing about asking about gloves, that might suit your hands.

Maybe you could tell bods, which gloves that meet your criteria - you tell us you know what you want , but just can’t find it - that you’ve looked at, tried on and discarded? Maybe, you could also tell them if you just want to nip down to Tesco in them or intend to be riding the Alps for the next two months. Not least, tell them how much you anticipate spending.

A touch melodramatic but hey, you might really be looking for gloves to ride up K2, perhaps? That’d be a true Adventure, be sure to write a report.

When it comes to ‘short cuff’ gloves (by which I guess you mean the equivalent of summer length conventional motorcycling gloves) capable of withstanding the deep winter blasts , there really is no substitute for electricity, trust me. I use Rapidfire’s glove liners, independently controlled via their Powertroller (their word, not mine). These I put inside a XXL pair of good quality, conventional waterproof leather Apollo Rukka summer gloves. I have medium sized hands but had to go right up to XXL as, though thin, the inners do conflict a bit with the conventional lining of the gloves. I have ridden in these all day down to about -8 in Luxembourg and Belgium, in absolute comfort. I have also ridden in them in pouring rain at about 2 to 3 degrees, for extended periods. Just be sure to tuck the glove’s short cuff inside your jacket, or the water will run down your sleeves. Similarly, tucking them under the jacket, will reduce the chances of draughts, chilling your wrists very quickly. Try it. It’s easier than poncing about asking about gloves, that might suit your hands.

Maybe you could tell bods, which gloves that meet your criteria - you tell us you know what you want , but just can’t find it - that you’ve looked at, tried on and discarded? Maybe, you could also tell them if you just want to nip down to Tesco in them or intend to be riding the Alps for the next two months. Not least, tell them how much you anticipate spending.

They’re not for visiting K2, although we will be going via Everest Base Camp, en route from London to Beijing.

I want very warm, short cuff winter gloves because my Klim Bdlands suit sleeves aren’t wide enough for anything with cuffs that are too long. Ideally I don’t want heated gloves because despite the fact they undoubtedly do the job well, all the wires are a bit of a faff. Heated inners I get but then I have to carry the inners, the wires and a set of extra large outer gloves that I can’t really use without the thick inners.

TBH the ideal glove is proving difficult to identify, so I may opt for muffs and just bin them when we drop down off the high ground and into the heat...

They’re not for visiting K2, although we will be going via Everest Base Camp, en route from London to Beijing.

I want very warm, short cuff winter gloves because my Klim Bdlands suit sleeves aren’t wide enough for anything with cuffs that are too long. Ideally I don’t want heated gloves because despite the fact they undoubtedly do the job well, all the wires are a bit of a faff. Heated inners I get but then I have to carry the inners, the wires and a set of extra large outer gloves that I can’t really use without the thick inners.

TBH the ideal glove is proving difficult to identify, so I may opt for muffs and just bin them when we drop down off the high ground and into the heat...

Hooray. You have given up on searching for a unicorn and chosen the one true way.

I have used a pair Alpinestars Polar gloves for years during the winter and am very happy with them. So much so that I would replace them with another pair. I ride every day and with my heated grips on they do the job perfectly. Gortex works and they remain waterproof after years of use. Short cuff.

Do I win????

Warm enough for sub-zero temperatures?

Not IMO

The old Klime Elemnt probably are but they replaced those with the Adventure which are crap and the ones i have had many issues with

I know the issues you face with the Badlands jacket needing short cuff gloves my honest advice is either get big fuck off gauntlet lobster type and take the rain risk or ho heated inners on some short cuff gloves. If you do the latter forget the gore tex stuff as the heat renders it next to useless ans to a certain degree do heated grips.

I have a pair of GS Dry gloves, and although they are longer than my summer Knox gloves, the cuff is quite slim, so easily fits under the cuff of my jacket. They are a mix of goretex/corduroy and leather, and with heated grips, nice and toasty. As they are not bulky at all, you can feel the controls just like summer gloves. I paid about £95 at the local dealer with a discount
Cheers
Dave

Back
Top Bottom