Sas or 17 lc

neiljitsu

Reaction score
Hello chaps,
I haven't been here in a while. Thanks to a kind and blind old lady, my tracer 900 gt was sent to an early grave. With a new sas going for 12k atm. It's only 1500 in the difference between that and another brand new tracer. I had an 08 gs from new and it was great but also a shitbox at the same time.
I've also previously had a 990 smt which was one of the best bikes I've ridden. The tracer gt reminded me of it.
So do I go new sas or new tracer gt again or 2 year old lc?
First world problems.

Last edited:
Agree with your 990 SMT view. I went from the 990 to an SAS and haven't looked back. I love it and I'm not looking to swap it any time soon, certainly not for a current GS - though the 1250 is pretty good. Might swap it when a V4 Adv bike rolls up. I do love a V4 :D

Why not have a look at a fairly new KTM 1290 SD GT? KTM say it’s not a replacement for the SMT but it’s pretty close, an absolute riot to ride and does have reasonable luggage carrying capacity.

Actually you can go well over the top and load it up as if it was a GS but you have to be careful when you wind the power on or it stands up and plays to the crowd a bit :D

I hadn't thought of the sd gt, I like a bit of leg room on bikes. Anything resembling a sports bike position and I'm goosed, I had to sell a zzr1400 because of the riding position.
I'll go and have a look at superduke gt, I'm living in Ireland so test rides opportunity are limited.

If you’ve got long legs I doubt the GT will suit you because of the shape of the tank cut outs. I’m 6’ 2” and sold mine after 3500 miles and bought a 1290 SAS

No brainer, 2 year old bike or brand new one for same money.

The new one is faster, lighter, better handling and with the best large capacity V-Twin engine ever made.

The LC would probably feel a bit boring after the Tracer, the KTM will feel a lot perkier at all revs, you are also going from what is to a certain degree a budget bike, to a premium top of the range model for a very modest additional cost.

Do it now - before they sell out!

I like the LC

My mate likes the tracer

Another mate like the KTM

Your choice

After riding a Tracer GT a couple of weeks ago, if I had the choice between that or an SAS, it’s an absolute no brainer.

I hadn't thought of the sd gt, I like a bit of leg room on bikes. Anything resembling a sports bike position and I'm goosed, I had to sell a zzr1400 because of the riding position.
I'll go and have a look at superduke gt, I'm living in Ireland so test rides opportunity are limited.

I’m 6’ and don’t find it cramped on long rides but it does feel tiny when I get on it after riding my GS a few times.

I found the GT Cramped, mainly legs, but also a bit hunched up - reckon my old ZZR 1400 was a fair bit more roomy.

Pity as I could of had a GT for a year as a second bike to the 1190 and lost bugger all on it, but now got a 1290S which seems to have most of the advantages the GT had over the 1190, but with the comfort I have become accustomed to.

Back
Top Bottom