Oil sight glass cloudy?

And the winner is.......post #9! Got SWMSBO to have a look this morning and the level is visible if I'm leaning the bike well over to the right (I didn't do the last change). It is fresh oil so I was going to drain 500mls out, does that sound about right? Or is better to just drain until I can see the level in the sight glass?

And the winner is.......post #9! Got SWMSBO to have a look this morning and the level is visible if I'm leaning the bike well over to the right (I didn't do the last change). It is fresh oil so I was going to drain 500mls out, does that sound about right? Or is better to just drain until I can see the level in the sight glass?

Leave it, no need to drain. If you put in the correct amount of oil as in the BMW specs it fills/covers the oil sight glass.

My owner's manual p.106 says to ensure the oil level is between min and max marks, those marks being the top and bottom of the white circle within the sight glass. The picture clearly shows a small gap visible above the max mark

Many years ago a young lad who lived near me asked if could look at his car.

It was blowing clouds of thick blue smoke out.

I asked him what had he done recently, hoping to get an idea if he'd had any mechanical mishaps

He replied that he noticed that the oil was low and he'd topped it up .

We started the car, and sure enough, enough smoke was coming out the back to obscure half of england..

No mechanical noises were evident when running , just clouds of smoke ...

Worn bores & rings sprung to mind, I asked him if the car was consuming a lot of oil... he replied that it was the first time he'd topped it up in over a year.

hmmm

Anywway i pulled the dipstick and got my first warning sign,

the oil level was half way up the dip stick....

wiped it clean and popped it back in.. and pulled it out agian, and the reason for all the smoke was evident ...

Dark black oil on the bottom of the dipstick, and clear new oil all the way up the rest of the dipstick.

The lad thought you topped it up so the dark line moved up the dipstick, so had added 5 litres when in reality 1 litre would have done :eek:

We did an oil change, and normal non cloudy service was resumed lol

The OCD brigade are going to love this...

The reason I wrote this is that a couple of years ago I had some work done to the bike by a mechanic and had him service the bike at the same time. I subsequently had oil coming out of the intake manifolds and eventually worked out that he had put in the amount of oil BMW specified, unfortunately overfilling it, that oil had then got into the airbox and later started coming out of the intakes.

The problem with filling the oil so it is above the sight glass is that it is easy to overfill. By having a small gap at the top of the glass (the small space above the white circle) you can ensure you don't overfill. For Steptoe this clearly isn't an issue as a professional, but for an average punter like me I prefer to avoid the risk of overfilling and so ensure there is a small gap at the top of the sight glass. And that is what BMW specify

The reason I wrote this is that a couple of years ago I had some work done to the bike by a mechanic and had him service the bike at the same time. I subsequently had oil coming out of the intake manifolds and eventually worked out that he had put in the amount of oil BMW specified, unfortunately overfilling it, that oil had then got into the airbox and later started coming out of the intakes.

The problem with filling the oil so it is above the sight glass is that it is easy to overfill. By having a small gap at the top of the glass (the small space above the white circle) you can ensure you don't overfill. For Steptoe this clearly isn't an issue as a professional, but for an average punter like me I prefer to avoid the risk of overfilling and so ensure there is a small gap at the top of the sight glass. And that is what BMW specify
Whatever makes you happy.

So what happened to the cloudy creamy bit then has that disappeared too?

GS manual oil.JPG

Image somewhat larger than I intended. This is BMW instructions for 0303 model GS 02/2008. I'm surprised this is at all controversial

If you've drained the oil your self and re-filled the engine with the specified amount and the sight glass is full then there isn't a problem, but if someone else has done it, then you can't be sure how much oil is in it.

When I got my bike dealer serviced, the sight glass was always full.

I would suggest Draining the Oil, measure it and refill to the correct amount specified

When I overfilled mine, the excess oil was burnt away within a few hundred miles. After that it sits about mid level in the sight glass between oil changes.

BM seem to recco castrol these days and use a 10 50 !!! on the air cooled GS that's harder to get hold off.... its a dark red and far harder to see in the sight glass

And it looks "dirty" from new in the sight glass as compared to the lovely golden colour of Petronas 10W40 I had been using. I was starting to wonder if I had oil from a bad batch, good to see confirmed it should be dark coloured.

Back
Top Bottom