Rear brake problems

almar

Reaction score
rear brake caliper
I have just rebuilt the master cylinder on my 2012 sertao, the job was quite simple, them bled the brakes which took quite a while to achive, all to no avail as the rear brake still dosnt operate. I. unfastened the nut and removed the brake pipe from the master cylinder and operated the brake pedal to check it was working, yes all ok bled the brake again still not working. i have removed the rear caliper and the piston seems solid !. Cannot see away of removing the piston dont want to use force in case of damage. any advice would be gratfully welcome please bare in mind i have limited mechanical skills and begining think i am way out of my depth
Thank You

Caliper

rear brake caliper
I have just rebuilt the master cylinder on my 2012 sertao, the job was quite simple, them bled the brakes which took quite a while to achive, all to no avail as the rear brake still dosnt operate. I. unfastened the nut and removed the brake pipe from the master cylinder and operated the brake pedal to check it was working, yes all ok bled the brake again still not working. i have removed the rear caliper and the piston seems solid !. Cannot see away of removing the piston dont want to use force in case of damage. any advice would be gratfully welcome please bare in mind i have limited mechanical skills and begining think i am way out of my depth
Thank You

Disconnect from bike/pipe. if there is an outer seal prize up, turn the caliper on its back and fill the piston barrel with wd40, leave to soak over night and piston should come out with pipe attached and use brake lever to force out, remove again clean piston and barrel well (non abrasive), fit new piston seal and outer seal and refit, bleed, there you go.

Ged

Thanks to all the replys, The initial problem is the rear brake became very weak, i was advised by someone far more mechanically minded that i was the master cylinder was the problem. I unfastend the nut at the top of the master cylinder and operated the brake pedel, there was no sign of brake fluid. ordered a rebuild kit and carefully cleaned and rebuilt and installed and attempted to bleed the system, this seemded to take forever although i could see air bubbles through the bleed pipe. tightening the bleed nipple and operating the brake pedal, still little presure on the pedal and zero braking. Next i removed the nut at the top of the master cylinder operated the rear brake and i could see brake fluid exiting. fastend everything back up and no joy. i removed the back wheel so i could take a look at the caliper, could not move the piston at all. So thats the situation i find myself. i have little mechanical ability and i am relying on youtube and advise from anyone
Thank You Alan

Thank you for all your advice, i finally have a back brake !!! patience required when bleeding brakes !!

Back
Top Bottom