How hard can this be to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would walk away from it esp at that price for spares/ repair. Budget for a new ecu possibly or whatever the canbus runs off.

Anybody's guess regarding the power supply issue...
Having converted two of these and knowing the expense involved I can say the expensive stuff has been done-- the rack, grab rails and seat are hard to find and expensive to buy when you do find some. It just needs those panniers removing , pillion footpegs fitting and some pannier hanger brackets and away you go. Also new side panels maybe as the existing ones will have holes where the bars attach to the frame beneath.
There is a market for the crashbar/pannier assembly-- I think the sellers of these sometimes need to fit decent ones before releasing them onto the market. I got £140 for the last set I sold iirc, from a dealer in York.
None of which helps with your original question, sorry:D:blast

Anybody's guess regarding the power supply issue...
Having converted two of these and knowing the expense involved I can say the expensive stuff has been done-- the rack, grab rails and seat are hard to find and expensive to buy when you do find some. It just needs those panniers removing , pillion footpegs fitting and some pannier hanger brackets and away you go. Also new side panels maybe as the existing ones will have holes where the bars attach to the frame beneath.
There is a market for the crashbar/pannier assembly-- I think the sellers of these sometimes need to fit decent ones before releasing them onto the market. I got £140 for the last set I sold iirc, from a dealer in York.
None of which helps with your original question, sorry:D:blast

cheers! LOL. I'd be happy for now just riding the thing with small panniers. Wife doesn't really do touring and a large roll across the back would work for me. In time, I'd do the pannier thing but as a london commuter its fine. Just the electric dash....PS hope @Mikeyboy can shed light/offer a repair...

You could start by swapping the dash,(which would work but the odometer would flash unless coded on dealer level diagnostics)
If that didn’t fix it you could start spending serious dosh.
Given what it is,and the miles,I’d spend my money on a different machine,1100,1150 rt.
Huge potential to be a proper money pit:comfort

You could start by swapping the dash,(which would work but the odometer would flash unless coded on dealer level diagnostics)
If that didn’t fix it you could start spending serious dosh.
Given what it is,and the miles,I’d spend my money on a different machine,1100,1150 rt.
Huge potential to be a proper money pit:comfort

excellent, thank you, I'm out then

The advert is full of BS -

Police bike generally come with all the documentation, which gives an indication of what has been done in its life

It's not unknown for 4 sets of pads a clutch & body repair work to be done

One thing it will show is the amount of services - usually every 6K and all mot's and the results

The kombi can fail for any number of reasons - Jet washing being just one ...

Trouble is it can hide a number of other defects - True mileage / abs fail / lamp fail / & possibly fuel gauge -sensor

The LH rocker cover has what looks to be like a heavy oil leak, as well as oxidisation of the magnesium

Rear tyre looks squared off too

For a bit more cash I’ve got a 57 plate 44k miles R1200RT SE in silver with 10 or 12 service stamps (all Main dealer except the last one by motoscot who also did the abs ‘fix’ about 200 miles ago), full 3 piece luggage, PR3 (or 4?) tyres with only about 500 miles on etc blah. 2 young kids means it never gets used so I should sell it but never seem to find the time to advertise it .... would like £4150 for it. PM if any interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems strange for ebykes to try to retail this.......it should go to Auction, with all known faults declared.

Personally I would leave well alone, unless you are blessed by life long good fortune; as others have said, a potential money pit if ever I saw one.

The advert is full of BS -

Police bike generally come with all the documentation, which gives an indication of what has been done in its life

It's not unknown for 4 sets of pads a clutch & body repair work to be done

One thing it will show is the amount of services - usually every 6K and all mot's and the results

The kombi can fail for any number of reasons - Jet washing being just one ...

Trouble is it can hide a number of other defects - True mileage / abs fail / lamp fail / & possibly fuel gauge -sensor

The LH rocker cover has what looks to be like a heavy oil leak, as well as oxidisation of the magnesium

Rear tyre looks squared off too

I got the documented history for mine from the relevant police force but had to submit a Freedom of Information request..

Said this before with ex job stuff , unless you have a physical record of its mileage when on fleet you have no idea of the actual mileage that it has covered .

MOT records are utterly meaningless as the first proper MOT that the vehicle receives will be after it is sold off by the police ....... vehicles are tested by the police at 3 years old but it is done in house and the test is not recorded on the DVLA system.

I've seen ex job stuff including my old van which lost over 50,000 miles between auction and e bay with its new first MOT or an ex traffic Discovery that lost over 70,000 miles after auction and was advertised as genuine low mileage and direct from the Police (both of those were reported to trading standards and since then said dealer never shows the vehicles registration in his adverts any more )

Seen job stuff that had real electrical problems after being sold off and the headlight flash/ run lock etc was disconnected and the wiring not returned to standard spec

For a bit more cash I’ve got a 57 plate 44k miles R1200RT SE in silver with 10 or 12 service stamps (all Main dealer except the last one by motoscot who also did the abs ‘fix’ about 200 miles ago), full 3 piece luggage, PR3 (or 4?) tyres with only about 500 miles on etc blah. 2 young kids means it never gets used so I should sell it but never seem to find the time to advertise it .... would like £4150 for it. PM if any interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks, but too rich for my budget..I'd love all that though!

Having spent 20 years riding police bikes, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole and especially a BM with electrical problems. Despite what people will have you believe, the amount of damage and poor servicing practices that never gets documented is extensive.

As previously mentioned there are other bikes on the auction site around the same money !! Contrary to others opinion my personal experience of owning ex police bikes has been good, with no particular issues.( Have one now for motorcycle training) I also rode the same bikes in a previous life and can confirm that the bikes where well maintained if a little neglected when it came to cleaning them on a regular bases. The BMW RTP came directly from BMW already motified so its very much dependent on who removes the police equipment when they are decommissioned as to the state of the electrics. You should be able to purchase an ex police RT 2007-2010 with 40- 50 k between 2500-3500 .

ta. Out of curiosity, is the rear radio box an enclosed mini topbox type thing? Are the side cases keyed to ignition?

ta. Out of curiosity, is the rear radio box an enclosed mini topbox type thing? Are the side cases keyed to ignition?

The rear radio box would now be another storage compartment that uses the same key as the ignition. The side panniers also can be locked with the same key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom