2011 RT1200RT - Linked Brakes?

dsajones

Reaction score
Hi All,

Might be a stupid question but does my 2011 RT1200RT twin cam have linked brakes or not? I can't find any mention of it in the owners handbook and I certainly can't tell from riding if the rear is coming on with the front. Are there any telltale physical signs?

Cheers
David

I'm almost positive the system has got Linked brakes. You could go for a ride, don't use the rear brakes, try a fairly long hard stop just using the front and (CAREFULLY) check to see if the rear rotor has become hot.

Hi David

My 2010 RT has linked brakes so yours should be the same. If you rest your foot on the rear brake and then use your front brake lever you should feel the rear brake pedal go down.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Thanks both. OK, I'll do a bit of testing with both your suggestions to confirm. I find it a bit strange that the handbook makes no mention of it, particular in the how to operate everything sections.

.... I find it a bit strange that the handbook makes no mention of it, particular in the how to operate everything sections.

Well, it does mention about best braking methods and I suppose that linked brakes are such 'old-hat' on BMW's that it is hardly worth a mention.

Yes they're linked brakes, only on the front though (pull the front and it applies the rear also) the rear brake operates independently if pressed on its own.

If it's anything like the linked brakes on my R1200R, the front brake lever brakes both the front and the back, while the back just works the rear.

Using both together (which I've not unlearned yet) invariably causes the abs to get busy stopping the rear from locking as pressure is being applied to the rear by both of them

Back
Top Bottom