AT 1100 For 2020?

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just saw the rumor from Japan. Larger motor and fuel tank. Hopefully a couple other things as well.
https://advrider.com/will-honda-build-a-bigger-africa-twin/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=02_13_2019

I suppose so but it IS just a rumor. Personally I think the engine's fine.

Struck me as a coping with new emissions impacts update rather than the cc increase being a new model change, and yes that does sound silly reading it back, maybe its the way its being spun. Ie not a hey look at our rootin/tootin new bigger /better AT now with extra CC's oh and buy the way its only cos emissions crap made us do it else it would be slower (and heavier?) . And yup think the 2018 is already rootin/tootin fine. Probably pleased more if they offered a tubeless wheel and cruise control as options :)

Yup, the boxer twin will be no more.

The boxer twin 1250 is here for Euro 5 and the AT1000 stroked to 1100 is soon to be released. Sounds like the R1250 works well, I just hope for the AT that engine heat and smooth throttling is controlled and tubeless wheels and cruise are incorporated.

More info here including bigger motor, TFT screen and tubeless tyres for ATAS.

034f7563dbbb0cc5653a5830c2f5445e.jpg
51ccc1b07556eb33d3a261d13846d278.jpg

Here we go !!

Honda have unveiled this significantly updated Africa Twin for 2020 that’s more powerful, lighter and easier to ride.

The current Africa Twin comprises two models: the Africa Twin and the Africa Twin Adventure Sports. The latter was more off-road-orientated with its taller suspension and crash bars along with its bigger tank.

But that’s all changed for next year as the standard bike becomes the more off-road machine while the AS becomes the comfortable tourer. At the heart of both is a bigger and smoother engine with capacity boosted to 1084cc by increasing the stroke by just over 5mm.

652325a2b7e70d628970bca0710d9b35.jpg
dfd7c199ddd3a9d2bc01eec6836a286b.jpg
cdb28f71740bbec6207a38afa4e1bea0.jpg
ae32a58b20a260b47f952d4ff25dc530.jpg

The cylinder head has also been revised, valve lift increased, the throttle body is larger and the injectors deliver a more direct spray into the combustion chamber.

While for a slightly fruitier sound, as well as a bit more torque low down, Honda have also fitted an exhaust valve (much like that in the Fireblade). The result is a peak power boost from 94 to just over 100bhp and a 6% torque increase to 77.4ftlb. A smaller, lighter clutch for an easier pull should make it feel livelier still.

There’s also a whole new electronics package. For 2020 the Twin gets a six-axis Bosch IMU. This means the bike now has lean-sensitive traction control, cornerning ABS and wheelie control as well as rear wheel torque control.

In addition there are now four riding modes (Tour, Urban, Gravel and Off-Road) with various levels of electronic intervention. The IMU also adds its sensory input to the DCT models, which will now use the lean sensors to determine appropriate gear changes while cornering or going downhill.

The Twin’s chassis has also been totally redesigned. The steering head has been lightened with skinnier tubes and the removal of the front cross pipe which saves 1.8kg. The subframe is a now a separate, bolt-on, aluminium affair, which is 40mm slimmer to make it easier to reach the floor while saving another 500g.

While the front end has had a restyle, too, with new lights that adjust intensity based on natural light, as well as a lower screen for better vision when trail riding and the forks have been resprung and come with new damping settings. All in all the whole bike is 5kg lighter than the old machine. Honda haven’t released any prices yet, although we’d expect the stock bike to cost around £11k And the Adventure Sport version to be around £12k.

One of the undoubted highlights of the new Africa Twin is its all-singing, all-dancing full-colour 6.5in TFT screen. This new dash (or ‘Multi Information Display’ as Honda call it) is the portal through which all settings are changed and is standard on both models.

It’s touch sensitive (good luck with that off-road) but there’s also a set of controls on the left-hand switchgear. It also incorporates Apple CarPlay, via an iPhone plugged into the USB slot by the dash, as well as supporting navigation and music apps via Bluetooth on both Apple and Android. A second ‘mini dash’ displays speed and gear, for when the main screen is taken up by mapping or other info.

Africa Twin highlights
1084cc parallel twin
100.5bhp
77.4ftlbs
850mm/870mm seat height
226kg (kerb)
£11,000 (est for stock bike)

ATAS

279f13987c41dbfaf0971948a5945434.jpg
bd62286d25e2e6f476e189711216ef2a.jpg

9e3fbc0a629ab2e1d674c359cf78600a.jpg
eae5c0b27e40ed9415d45077b18c97df.jpg
b107f9fcb2eb574edbffacc5bfc0a555.jpg
d362e6098568e80a7b29e3c727f3f72c.jpg
5420fc50ea8697974a7fe216235b09f4.jpg

Africa Twin Adventure Sports gets electronic suspension
If you have your heart set on crossing continents in complete comfort (trying saying that after a few lagers) the Adventure Sports version of the new Africa Twin is the one to have.

Like before, the AS has a bigger tank (24.8 litres) plus larger fairing and taller screen (which is now adjustable). The longer suspension, however, is gone, so its seat height is now the same as the standard model. While the tail section is also slimmer to make it easier to move around. The AS also comes with heated grips and an accessory power socket as standard.

The previous tubed wheels are also gone, replaced with a set of tubeless, spoked rims – although we imagine Honda will offer this on the standard model, too.

But the biggest change is the AS is now available with Showa’s new electronically-adjustable suspension. Showa 'EERA' is a semi-active set-up that adjusts the damping relative to the setting it’s currently in.

There are four modes (Soft, Mid, Hard and Off-Road) that provide baseline settings, with stroke sensors helping the ECU adjust the damping to the road surface and riding style. The rear preload can also be electronically-adjusted, again with four presets (Rider, Rider + Luggage, Rider + Pillion and Rider + Pillion + Luggage).

There’s also a User mode that offers 24 clicks of preload adjustment. Again, there’s no word yet from Honda on price but we’d expect a significant premium over the base model for the semi-active suspension.

6d7ce91ac3e376793ce12571f41f5fd8.jpg

So tubeless tyres, ESA, cruise, Apple Car Play ? Much more to go,wrong but it’s a Honda so it won’t!

Red white and blue again I think for me.

More info here

It just needs a 19'' front wheel to attract the GS masses. Nice bike for sure.

Wow, honda have finally listened to its customers:thumb. ATAS in Black looks good, so does the standard AT in black with the reds subframe. And the AT now has tube wheels or an option of the tubeless rims. OEM plastic panniers look like they’ve had a re-design, hopefully they’re better than the last ones.

Being able to use apple car play for maps is an excellent idea, no more separate gps and all phone info displayed. Biggest surprise is the adaptive suspension with the 24 clicks of manual preload :thumb2

And its 5kg’s lighter with more power and torque, so all in all, a huge re-design from honda and some very nice touches (just hope they’ve made it less complex to remove and re-fit the fairing panels. A 19” front wheel and shaft drive would have got BMW very worried.

Watch out for the £70 pcp deals on the current bikes ;):D

Attachments

• 2EFE03EF-872B-4B7B-B82E-645C637196AC.jpeg
    2EFE03EF-872B-4B7B-B82E-645C637196AC.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 612
  • 61B6E656-67C9-4C2C-868A-C526B97F20EF.jpg
    61B6E656-67C9-4C2C-868A-C526B97F20EF.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 601
Looking good, well done Honda and thanks for actually taking note of your customers feedback. Love the new TFT dash and apple car play means google maps navigation, nice.

19” front wheel, shaft drive and the ATAS would be perfect. :hide:clap

Yeah that looks very nice indeed with all the stuff people wanted. Great Colours (like the red subframes) and the tft screen is a massive improvement on the old one. I expect the lithium battery was where most of the weight was saved :D

This bike is going to get more fans for sure I mean look at it ! The Africa twin decals are pretty neat too as are the promo videos.

Not sure I’ll change my current one for it though . I’d like a 790 sized one in an ideal world ( that is supposed to be in the pipeline) :blast:D

I like the idea of a standard size sport, plus my extras would swop over, I'd opt for a manual version nxt.

cruise control on the right big mistake.

Back
Top Bottom