Sympathetic top box ideas please R80gs

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I'm planning more trips on my 92 R80gs I really need better security than a soft rear bag but have not ever seen an older paralever airhead with a suitable top box that mated to the existing rear carrier and a std double seat.
I bet someone on here has of course and even better if it's the quick removable Givi type rather than a fixed bolt on.
Any ideas would be brilliant thanks as my trawling around the dealer looking at current stuff seems to be really not providing ideas or solutions.
Help please guys.
G

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 643
Yep, I know where you are coming from. Definitely an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I use is an Amphibious Up Bag.

It's rather nice, comes in several colours. The pic on the website doesn't show it to its best, you may find some better images to see what it looks like.

Or you could try sourcing one of the nice leather ones from Germany.

Or commission my mate Harvey to make you a leather one to your specification.

What I use is an Amphibious Up Bag.

It's rather nice, comes in several colours. The pic on the website doesn't show it to its best, you may find some better images to see what it looks like.

Or you could try sourcing one of the nice leather ones from Germany.

Or commission my mate Harvey to make you a leather one to your specification.

OP talked about not wanting a soft bag due to security?

I use a Peli case, a smaller square one (1300 I think) - but its a bolt on jobbie as there are no (understandably) tailor made solutions for it. Works a treat tho.

Heres a tubular type of rack that can occasionally pop up on ebay. Standard Givi monokey topboxes will fit it.

Attachments

• IMG_0664E.jpg
    IMG_0664E.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_0663E.jpg
    IMG_0663E.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 606
  • DSC00780e.jpg
    DSC00780e.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 644
OP talked about not wanting a soft bag due to security?

I use a Peli case, a smaller square one (1300 I think) - but its a bolt on jobbie as there are no (understandably) tailor made solutions for it. Works a treat tho.

Good point. Consider me admonished.

I have a Pelicase on my 1150. Works well. Pick one the right size. All good.

Bigger (proper) top boxes just look wrong.

Simplest way is to bolt a piece of black painted lumber around 9"x9"x2" to the top of the existing rack.

Then you can bolt/screw the mounting plate of your choice to that, and use whatever type of box you choose.

Actually, if you intend using the GS as a GS , and will be putting something in the box you are as well forgetting about the mounting plate and quick release and just screwing down through the base of the box into the timber - the quick release mechanism doesn't usually last long on the rough stuff.
You can usually find liners for luggage which will let you remove the contents easily and quickly, is that is a major consideration.

When packing best to use the top box for light stuff like down sleeping bags, towels and clothes and try to keep the heavy stuff between the wheelbase, particularly if you like to keep the front wheel firmly planted , but it doesn't seem to bother most who like to post pictures of their overloaded bikes.

For the unpretentious amongst us though, function trumps looks. :augie:cool:

Absolutely. This is the Airhead section.....if you want to look good and pose with beautiful top boxes then go to the LC section :D

As I'm planning more trips on my 92 R80gs I really need better security than a soft rear bag but have not ever seen an older paralever airhead with a suitable top box that mated to the existing rear carrier and a std double seat.
I bet someone on here has of course and even better if it's the quick removable Givi type rather than a fixed bolt on.
Any ideas would be brilliant thanks as my trawling around the dealer looking at current stuff seems to be really not providing ideas or solutions.
Help please guys.
G
If you fit a top box to this bike ,I’ll hunt you down and will have to kill you:blast
It looks too nice to spoil with a big ugly plastic box

Attachments

• 9FC357C7-363C-4658-A202-6E60F37FE530.jpg
    9FC357C7-363C-4658-A202-6E60F37FE530.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 566
As per my avatar, I had one of those big ugly platic boxes on mine (complete with modified subframe) and it was very practical. Now the bike is used for local trips I’m making an ali box to similar proportions to the pelicase.

I bought a second hand top box from a K100, complete with the rack it fits to. I’m fangling some brackets to fit it between the grab rail and the rear rail. It isn’t big, certainly won’t take a helmet, but looks like it will look about right; it’s genuine BMW and matches the panniers. When I get it finished I’ll post a picture, if I can figure how to these days.

If you fit a top box to this bike ,I’ll hunt you down and will have to kill you:blast
It looks too nice to spoil with a big ugly plastic box

So this is social media abuse then:clap. I'm now not that sure what I'm doing as I agree something small and not plastic might be better given this is for security not carrying capacity i.e. popping sat nav in when parked etc but does need to be big enough when popping down the shops or on holiday.
I've seen something like this on www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Case-Box-Alu...=item41d2ac52f2:g:iFYAAOSwB4BZ8EI6:rk:79:pf:0 but would need to be smaller.

100GS Rack Plate

Well this is my solution to the box mount. I based it on the one I have fitted to my S10 Yam which is a Givi item in 5mm Alloy Plate. This is made of 6mm alloy plate as I could not bend the sides to stiffen it. Currently I have only got copper pipe as spacers but I will has st/st items shortly. The mounts are Hydraulic pipe clamp brackets which you can get to suit the tube on the original rack. I think I got mine slightly under size, spaced the joint out with a washer and re-drilled so it would allow more clamping. The Givi box fittings are a repair kit from Givi which are available online. Also the cutout nearest the seat allows access to the seat lock. If your interested I may have a sketch of the plate which was cutout with a jigsaw and finished with a file. I think final cost was about £30-£35.

Barny

Attachments

• DSCF3908_01.JPG
    DSCF3908_01.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 523
  • DSCF3909_01.JPG
    DSCF3909_01.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 520
  • DSCF3910_01.JPG
    DSCF3910_01.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 533
Here's my top box. More of a sandwich box really, but I hope, more in keeping with the Airhead type leather style top box. But mine isn't leather, of course. Sadly, Roger of Ard Cases is no longer making panniers and top boxes, but he did a splendid job with mine. I like it anyhow ......

Attachments

• 2012-06-29 11.28.05.jpg
    2012-06-29 11.28.05.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 2012-06-29 11.34.59.jpg
    2012-06-29 11.34.59.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 519

Back
Top Bottom