uk to crete in may2019

Littlesampson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
im planing a trip to Crete in may and was wondering how long you lot think I should allow,I'm planing on leaving the uk and and going through the Black Forest and Alps and then stop at Milan to see my other half then the rest is already planned out

Am I reading this correctly? What you actually want is how long it will take you to get from I guess, Calais to the Black Forest and then to ‘the Alps’ (you might need to narrow this down a bit) and then to Milan, the rest of it from there to Crete you having worked out already?

Calais to the Black Forest can be done in a day from Calais, though most bods take two or three.

We went Calais to Milan in a day on the Turkey Trot but it’s not compulsory to do it.

Start by putting your intended journeys into Google and / or something like Kurviger, they’ll give you a decent start. For example, Baden Baden (right at the top of the Black Forest) is 500 km - say 300 miles - direct from Milan, straight through the middle of the Swiss Alps. The higher scenic Swiss passes (assuming you plan on riding them) are more than likely to still be closed due to snow in May, though the motorways will all be open, unless you are unlucky. We were a bit lucky at Easter on the Turkey Trot as we crossed France and Switzerland a just a day or so ahead of an atrocious weather front that saw lorries and cars stuck in snow on the French motorways south of Dijon.

Over to you to fill in some gaps.

Am I reading this correctly? What you actually want is how long it will take you to get from I guess, Calais to the Black Forest and then to ‘the Alps’ (you might need to narrow this down a bit) and then to Milan, the rest of it from there to Crete you having worked out already?

Calais to the Black Forest can be done in a day from Calais, though most bods take two or three.

We went Calais to Milan in a day on the Turkey Trot but it’s not compulsory to do it.

Start by putting your intended journeys into Google and / or something like Kurviger, they’ll give you a decent start. For example, Baden Baden (right at the top of the Black Forest) is 500 km - say 300 miles - direct from Milan, straight through the middle of the Swiss Alps. The higher scenic Swiss passes (assuming you plan on riding them) are more than likely to still be closed due to snow in May, though the motorways will all be open, unless you are unlucky. We were a bit lucky at Easter on the Turkey Trot as we crossed France and Switzerland a just a day or so ahead of an atrocious weather front that saw lorries and cars stuck in snow on the French motorways south of Dijon.

Over to you to fill in some gaps.

I seriously considered answering this query earlier but I knew you'd be along to assist.

Wrapping I’m out tonight so will fill you in with more details tomorrow evening ��

When we went to Pompeii a couple of years ago we went via Barcelona, which wasn't as daft as it sounds. Inspired by this thread by Aiden we went Plymouth - Santander, a few days in Spain then another boat Barcelona - Cittivechia (Rome) and rode down to Salerno. Cross Mediterranean ferry are frequent and cheap so don't be constrained by roads.

When we went to Pompeii a couple of years ago we went via Barcelona, which wasn't as daft as it sounds. Inspired by this thread by Aiden we went Plymouth - Santander, a few days in Spain then another boat Barcelona - Cittivechia (Rome) and rode down to Salerno. Cross Mediterranean ferry are frequent and cheap so don't be constrained by roads.

In a rare burst of organisation and planning I've just booked the Barcelona - Cittivechia ferry for late April, with the special offers on just now it was only €95 for me, bike and cabin to myself. So yes, when filling in the details or a route to (and I assume back from) Crete, you could ferry to Spain, across to Italy then to Greece, down to Athens and ferry to Crete. Easy.
Or ride most of it. Choices.

In a rare burst of organisation and planning I've just booked the Barcelona - Cittivechia ferry for late April, with the special offers on just now it was only €95 for me, bike and cabin to myself. So yes, when filling in the details or a route to (and I assume back from) Crete, you could ferry to Spain, across to Italy then to Greece, down to Athens and ferry to Crete. Easy.
Or ride most of it. Choices.

Kingussie to Barcelona in April!

Here you go, OP

From an iPhone from the snowy wastes of Norway, north of the Arctic Circle, via the power of Kurviger. I chose the app’s simpler, avoid motorways but don’t take too many stupid goat tracks option.

Either of the routes (Calais to Baden Baden and Baden Baden to Milan) are estimated to take about 11 hours, non-stop. In short, either or both are doable in a day, depending of course on YOU not us, the weather, what time you set off, how often you stop to gawp in slack jawed wonder or simply get lost.

359abf2e0694949414b229be79190559.jpg

498cb4bed7d094668723c10705a76081.jpg

Here you go, OP

From an iPhone from the snowy wastes of Norway, north of the Arctic Circle, via the power of Kurviger. I chose the app’s simpler, avoid motorways but don’t take too many stupid goat tracks option.

Either of the routes (Calais to Baden Baden and Baden Baden to Milan) are estimated to take about 11 hours, non-stop. In short, either or both are doable in a day, depending of course on YOU not us, the weather, what time you set off, how often you stop to gawp in slack jawed wonder or simply get lost.

359abf2e0694949414b229be79190559.jpg

Getting lost can be good fun!

More importantly, where are you? Tromso? I like it up there in the summertime on a bike.

We have been in Tromso, Narvik and Alta.

Great views of the northern lights, last night.

I spent 3.5 weeks touring mainland Spain and Portugal last May - Could have spent another two to three weeks easy.

Dont underestimate, riding through destinations is one thing, but exploring and having a few days off the bike makes the trip memorable.

It all depends what you want...

I would spend a whole day off the bike in Reims if you have not explored it before..

Bods seem to be missing that the fellow wants to go via the Black Forest, then the Alps to Milan, all before moving onwards. How long it’ll take him from Calais to Milan is the burning question. Quite how long he might have is another.

We have been in Tromso, Narvik and Alta.

Great views of the northern lights, last night.

Cold? I was in the Finnish Arctic last month and it was below minus 30 most of the time, bit chilly. Not great for northern lights this year though so you are luckier than we were

Thanks for all your comments. just to clarify, I am planning to stop overnight about half way from Calais to Milan. Didn't really want to be stuck on motorways so thought the Black Forest would be a scenic alternative. But didn't realise there would still be snow on the roads through the Alps in May. Will be there May9th. Any further suggestions appreciated.

Calais to Milan, direct (ie via motorway) is 1,100 kms or near enough 700 miles. Spread over your target of two days, is 350 miles a day. On French N and (larger) D roads, that’s possible but it’s still a decent schlep, so get cracking and don’t wander off the train or boat in Calais at 11:30.

Back
Top Bottom