Advice please - what mileage on a tank and can a fuel gauge be fitted

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
Hi
What mileage can be expected on a 1993 R100GS full tank?
I don’t ride aggressive, but my range varies between 110 and at a push 180miles...
Had the bike and carbs serviced and not any real difference.
Can a fuel gauge be fitted to give an indication of what’s left and avoid range anxiety?

On my 1988 100 GS I usually get around 180 miles to a full tank & that's mixed riding .
Why would you need a fuel gauge when you've got a reserve settings on your fuel tap .

Ian.

I get over 430 km including reserve, but I have removed the stand pipe on the reserve tap position and fitted in line filters.
Theoretically you should get more than 70 km on reserve, if you run one one tap first, and use the other side as a additional reserve.
But I wouldn't count on even half that- DAKIK
Mileage can vary between around 16 and 20 km / L , worn needles and needle jets and slightly retarded timing the usual culprits.

I can’t see how you can only get 110 miles from a tank that’s 25 liters . Over 200 should nearly always be possible from 5 1/2 gallon . They should be doing around 40 mpg 50 would be very good. Something is very wrong if your only getting low 20s :nenau

Use your trip meter?

I get about 120 - 140 miles out of the smaller, standard ST tank.

Hi
What mileage can be expected on a 1993 R100GS full tank?
I don’t ride aggressive, but my range varies between 110 and at a push 180miles...
Had the bike and carbs serviced and not any real difference.
Can a fuel gauge be fitted to give an indication of what’s left and avoid range anxiety?
That’s a massive difference 110 to 180:confused:
I’d suggest blocked emulsion tubes or poor arithmetic..
One would expect mid 40’s to 50’s ridden respectfully.
Arkwright gets 240 miles from the big 100 tank(but he rides like a priest):D

To add to the above,
All well and good,saying the bike has been serviced,and carbs looked at,
No disrespect to techs Working on the bike,but,,
It’s a 26 year old bike,the slide needles will have wear,as will the jets/seats plus all sorts of other stuff.
Find someone that knows the bikes:thumby:

The R100 with the big tank does 330miles to reserve, the other does 250 from an '90 R100GS.

Welcome to the world of pre digital bikes! Fill it and run it dry. Take a spare can strapped to the back with 5L in it. That way you can check total range and reserve range.

I remember back in the early 70's a friend had a Suzuki T200 which had a clear plastic pipe on 2 spigots at the front of the tank so you see the fuel level. Maintenance, if tube went cloudy leaked etc change the pipe - pence in cost, a bit different to the cost of an hex-head fuel strip. I suppose the biggest problem now is making it "safe" but in the age of cutting costs, weight and maintenance maybe it should be revisited. Then it could be call "Retro"

Barny

Back
Top Bottom