ULEZ update

It's a proper pain in the arse if you can't get a certificate of conformity. My '94 1100GS could well be under the NOx limits (looks like other 1100s are), but there's no way of getting a figure I can show TfL. With the train now at £70 a day, I was planning on going back to riding up to town.

Don't suppose any other 1100 owners have managed to find a way round it?

It's a proper pain in the arse if you can't get a certificate of conformity. My '94 1100GS could well be under the NOx limits (looks like other 1100s are), but there's no way of getting a figure I can show TfL. With the train now at £70 a day, I was planning on going back to riding up to town.

Don't suppose any other 1100 owners have managed to find a way round it?

I also have an 1100; 95 model; although i doubt it will be going anywhere near the Smoke; a piece of paper would be a good thing to help with selling; if or when the time comes. TUV was around in the mid 90's i presume; so i would imagine the details will be stored somewhere in Germay.

I did wonder about TuV, but BMW tell me they don’t have any records for NOx back then as it wasn’t a requirement.

I did wonder about TuV, but BMW tell me they don’t have any records for NOx back then as it wasn’t a requirement.

Hi Mark,
If I remember, the R1100GS did come with a cat and O2 sensor - so I'd think there's a chance it might be compliant.
NOX may not have been a UK requirement for registration purposes back then, but it may well still be shown on the EU type approval certificate (certificate of conformity).
According to this, type approval for bikes started 1st Jan 1994:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_approval
It'd be worth trying to chase down the type approval certificate.
John

Well, I got in touch with BMW AG, but not good news:

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your efforts to direct your request to us.

Unfortunately we have to disappoint you. BMW R 1100 GS does not meet the Euro 3 NOx requirements.

Please note that emissions of this model have been determined on the basis of ECE-R40.01 standard. But unfortunately the emission test cycle was changed at the introduction of the Euro 3 emission standard in 2006/2007. For this reason ECE-R40.01, Euro 1 and Euro 2 are measured in a different way and are not comparable to emissions measured by Euro3 or Euro 4 standards. Thank you for understanding in this matter.

Mind you, they were back to me with that answer less than 12 hours after I sent the request! Impressive.

For an R1150GS, single spark, registered August 2000

Dear Sir/Madam,

We apologise for the delay in getting back to you, we are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries.

At the time your vehicle was produced, the emissions calculation was not required for the EC Certificate of Conformity, therefore these values are missing from this document.

However, the result of NOx emission measurement of your motorbike is available in the European Type Approval documentation and we were able to include it in a letter along with other required information which you can use to approach TfL directly for the daily charge waiver.

We can confirm that the letter was sent out today to the address detailed within the registration document and we would welcome any feedback that you can provide if this is successful or not with TfL.

Kind regards,

The Homologation Team

Got my reply

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail, we apologise for the delay in getting back to you, we are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries.

We can confirm that there is an EC Certificate of Conformity available for your vehicle (VIN: WB10).

You will find attached the required request form, please complete all sections in block capitals and return to the address detailed within the form. Please note only the legal owner can complete such application. Any application submitted without the correct proof of ownership (photocopies only) & administration fee will be rejected, full details of the requirements are listed within the request form.

Kind regards,
The Homologation Team

I’m going to try sending this to tfl, before shelling out the cash for a piece of paper.

John

It don't think the above alone will work

They'll need a letter (or the CoC) confirming your VIN and stating NOx figures with a signature from the Homolgation team manager.

I received a confirmation letter for my ‘03 R1150GSA after emailing the eccoc address. There was no charge at all.

Just adding to the succes stories...

- Emailed BMW asking for NOx values (included my V5C scan)
- BMW sent a confirmation letter for free
- Sent copies of V5C and BMW letter to TfL
- TfL have confirmed my bike is exempt (2004 GSA)

Bosh.

I checked my 03 single spark R1150GSA a few weeks ago and it didn't meet the standard. Checked again today and it does. Result!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I checked my 03 single spark R1150GSA a few weeks ago and it didn't meet the standard. Checked again today and it does. Result!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

IGNORE ME!!! IT'S EARLY AND I MIS-READ THE PAGE!!!! IT ISN'T COMPLIANT!!! :blast

For an R1150GS, single spark, registered August 2000

Dear Sir/Madam,

We apologise for the delay in getting back to you, we are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries.

At the time your vehicle was produced, the emissions calculation was not required for the EC Certificate of Conformity, therefore these values are missing from this document.

However, the result of NOx emission measurement of your motorbike is available in the European Type Approval documentation and we were able to include it in a letter along with other required information which you can use to approach TfL directly for the daily charge waiver.

We can confirm that the letter was sent out today to the address detailed within the registration document and we would welcome any feedback that you can provide if this is successful or not with TfL.

Kind regards,

The Homologation Team
It's official
99c8d8578e492c8133a91bddf302661f.jpg

Got a letter back from TfL that I'm hoping to be able to publish here but they have stayed that have found somewhere that can run a Nox test within London and give a reading for those vehicles that do not have a cert. No details of where yet but there is light at the end of the tunnel for some who think they may have bikes that comply.
I've also challenge the repeated registration of bikes that are proven once in the same model year.

Now THAT I’m interested in!

I tried calling them to ask about exactly that and I got some clueless bloke who seemed to know nothing at all and basically said, no, you’re stuffed mate.

Back
Top Bottom