Cheap Accomodation in the States

gbags

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve just crossed the border into Texas after a few months in south and Central America. Prices are high here!

What would you recommend for accomodation? I’m carrying a tent and camping gear but Texas is COLD at the moment. The only room we could find in Marfa today was $180 before taxes! We had to ride on to the next town to find an $80 motel.

Can I do better than this...or do I need a warmer sleeping bag?

Cheers,

Graham the Brit

Are you registered on ADVRider forum? If not, get on there, mostly US based and someone will be able to help you out I’m sure. Failing that...couch surfing . Tent space ....and start with a fleec sleeping bag liner ? ....or head to Socal or Florida ?

Last room I had in Texas was $39 two years ago. Look for Motel 6, Econo Lodge, Super 8, etc.

If you are winging it night to night based on where you land then try the Hotel Tonight app. We used it all down the west coast and got some great deals by booking an hour or so before we arrived!

Pull up in a McDonalds car park, jump on the free WiFi from outside and book somewhere.

I stayed in an AirB&B in Riverside a few months ago. The owner (male) welcomed me in his underwear. I kept my door locked and stayed in hotels for the rest of my roadtrip.

Never again!

I stayed in an AirB&B in Riverside a few months ago. The owner (male) welcomed me in his underwear. I kept my door locked and stayed in hotels for the rest of my roadtrip.

Never again!

Genuinely funny! :D

We had great Airbnb's in the US.
A lot of them have a lock box with a code to get a the key, you don't even get to meet the owner.
Tip: Always go for the African American neighbourhoods. More buzz, great craic and cheaper.

If you are winging it night to night based on where you land then try the Hotel Tonight app. We used it all down the west coast and got some great deals by booking an hour or so before we arrived!

Thanks for posting that, I'll load the Hotel Tonight app and try it next time.

Thanks to all of you.
There are two of us on one bike and I’m too old for couch surfing so I’ll try the hotel app.

I’m in San Antonio tonight and heading down to the coast tomorrow and then towards New Orleans.

We were in the US when Liz Truss came to power and the £ went down to less than parity. We went down the east side of the States which was very expensive in general.
We used Booking.com, air B&B and IOverlander for accommodation - £50 was the cheapest but in general we were very happy with £80.
In 2016 travelling in the west it was $50 average - have things changed since Covid or is it an east west thing?

In my experience prices are high in northeast States such as Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, etc. and lower in the east as you go south through Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Carolinas, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, etc. And since covid they all seemed to have gone up. Up to a couple years ago we budgeted around $75 (including tax) for a double room which often included a light breakfast, or a little under $40 each person. This would be budget but clean motels in the mid Atlantic, southeast, basically most of the country excepting the north east and California. Northeast and Cali prices would be double this or more.
This year we've upped our budget from $75 to $150 (so $75 each) and would expect $250+ in New England states and Cali. Also these prices are for more urban and rural areas as well as along Interstate highway exits, naturally in or near major cities prices can be much higher yet but we avoid riding through or staying in these areas so I can't say how much higher. Be aware all the various governments add their own tax to lodging (and car rental) so request prices be quoted as "total including taxes". For instance a $129 per night room could be as high as $155 including taxes.

Back
Top Bottom