Oil spec question

Sweetpea

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking to service my 54 plate R1200GS this weekend with just shy of 22k on the clock.

I’ve ordered the service kit from motorworks but also looking to order some oil for gearbox and final drive

What is recommended 75W90 or 75W140? :nenau

I have a trade account with Halfords who do a GL5 spec 75w90 which I think is the comma brand....would this be suitable? Or should I stick to premium brands?

Any info appreciated

Cheers

SP :bow

It's a 14 year old tractor, I'd happily stick Halfords own in it

It's a 14 year old tractor, I'd happily stick Halfords own in it

Cheers Davey..... agreed, I have no problem with comma it was just Halfords don’t do the 75w140 that’s all.....

If the 75w90 is ok I’ll use that...

;)

I was just having a quick look on the Halfords Web site.....

Is the Moly-Grease they stock suitable for the final drive splines on my 05 GS?

This is their Blurb off the site:

" Comma CV & Lith-Moly Grease Product description "

The Comma CV & Lith-Moly Grease is designed for Constant Velocity joints plus many multi-purpose greasing tasks.
features & benefits of Comma CV & Lith-Moly Grease

For Constant Velocity joints
Also suitable for many multi-purpose greasing jobs
500g tub

SP :thumb

Yes, that's the stuff. They are called either CV joint grease, moly grease, or lith-moly grease. Lithium based with moly disulphide, as I understand it

You shouldn’t. The 1200 final drive needs a very specific gear oil for a good reason.
Castrol SAF-XO the "Recommended" FD lube was meant to be BMW's oil for sealed for life FD's (remind me how that worked out for them:D) I use straight hypoid 90 GL5 in both my R1200 & R1100 Final drives and have done since 2002, regular oil changes are the trick for long lasting final drives (IMO) :thumb2

Mine did 30,000 miles on whatever BMW use. It was filthy when I changed it for 75w140. The final drive sprang the standard leaks at 50,000 so was sent to MikeyBoy for a rebuild. Gears were great but bearings were all shot. He said it was "ready" It's now showing 75,000 with no problems. Gearbox and FD oil changed every 12,000. Engine oil even 6000.

I run Castrol R in mine :)

who cares if it the wrong spec, it smells luverly when it gets hot ;)

What is the reason not to use the BMW specificied oil? I am not asking about FD oil change intervals, but about the grade used. Perhaps two more specific questions - if the spec is 75w90, and the FD will take a while to warm up, why a straight 90 weight? Also, why use 140 instead of 90? I understand the point that one year after a change of spec all is well, but that doesn't explain why the change was made in the first place, hence my question. I'd like to rule out cost as 200ml of the Castrol Syntrax LL is approx £3-4. Thanks for any replies

What is the reason not to use the BMW specificied oil? I am not asking about FD oil change intervals, but about the grade used. Perhaps two more specific questions - if the spec is 75w90, and the FD will take a while to warm up, why a straight 90 weight? Also, why use 140 instead of 90? I understand the point that one year after a change of spec all is well, but that doesn't explain why the change was made in the first place, hence my question. I'd like to rule out cost as 200ml of the Castrol Syntrax LL is approx £3-4. Thanks for any replies

If your worrying about the costs of oils and fluids.. Dont!

The cost of a bottle of the correct lubricant say £20 is far far cheaper than a rebuild of the final drive

since ive had my bike, in just over 6K miles Iv'e changed gearbox oil once, Final drive twice, inc a rebuild! engine oil twice & clutch fluid

Each one required a new bottle / container of the correct oil.

If you want to save a couple of quid, thats fine it's your wallet.

Just be aware that if it does go wrong and you mention it on here ;), you will have the piss right royally ripped out of you ;)

If your worrying about the costs of oils and fluids.. Dont!

The cost of a bottle of the correct lubricant say £20 is far far cheaper than a rebuild of the final drive

since ive had my bike, in just over 6K miles Iv'e changed gearbox oil once, Final drive twice, inc a rebuild! engine oil twice & clutch fluid

Each one required a new bottle / container of the correct oil.

If you want to save a couple of quid, thats fine it's your wallet.

Just be aware that if it does go wrong and you mention it on here ;), you will have the piss right royally ripped out of you ;)

I really don't follow. In my post I ruled out cost as a reason not to use the correct spec so perhaps you simply misread what I wrote?

Above you wrote that you use a different spec for FD oil so perhaps you could answer the question I did ask, rather than one I didn't! Thanks

to honest i would like steptoe to elaborate if possible please,as i have been using 75w/90 ,gl5 spec for years ,am i using the wrong gear ,and thats in my r1100rt and my 2010 twin cam gs ,in both the gear box and the final drive ,its not expensive so when it gets an oil and filter change i also change the final drive and the box as well.

I was just having a quick look on the Halfords Web site.....

Is the Moly-Grease they stock suitable for the final drive splines on my 05 GS?

This is their Blurb off the site:

" Comma CV & Lith-Moly Grease Product description "

The Comma CV & Lith-Moly Grease is designed for Constant Velocity joints plus many multi-purpose greasing tasks.
features & benefits of Comma CV & Lith-Moly Grease

For Constant Velocity joints
Also suitable for many multi-purpose greasing jobs
500g tub

SP :thumb

I don't see splines mentioned in the grease applications, make sure it will do the job. The recommended oil for the final drive on my bike is Castrol syntrax long life 75-90 and I couldn't find a supplier locally so I got it from Opie oils Ebay site, it was £16.95 for a litre and free postage. If you use the recommended lubricants and greases and something packs in, at least you'll not be left wondering " what if". IMHO :thumby:

I really don't follow. In my post I ruled out cost as a reason not to use the correct spec so perhaps you simply misread what I wrote?

Above you wrote that you use a different spec for FD oil so perhaps you could answer the question I did ask, rather than one I didn't! Thanks

I think were both at crossed lines ;)

My referral to Castrol R was joke, Castrol R is a racing spec oil , that gives a very distinct smell when hot or burnt :)

For My 06 FD BMW specify Castrol SAF-XO which referring to Castrol is a 75W/90 Synthetic multigrade , which has been renamed by Castrol as Syntrax longlife 75W/90

They also specify SAF-XO for the gearbox as well .

Thats what they call for, so thats what i filled it with.

Back
Top Bottom