ABS Woes 1150R

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes, I know it's a GS Forum, but I have an 1150gs and hope someone can give some advice on this one.

The bike has been stood for about 5 years unused and easily got up and started again with a service etc. However the ABS/brakes seem to be reluctant to wake up after their rest.
Using just the front brake seems to operate the servo, but just the rear doesn't. ABS light also fails to go out on setting off.
Is this a case of dumping the servo as in the 1150gs, or is there something more obvious to be trying first ?

Bike only has 20 odd thousand miles from new, so seems worth "saving"

Thanks for any help

Yes, I know it's a GS Forum, but I have an 1150gs and hope someone can give some advice on this one.

The bike has been stood for about 5 years unused and easily got up and started again with a service etc. However the ABS/brakes seem to be reluctant to wake up after their rest.
Using just the front brake seems to operate the servo, but just the rear doesn't. ABS light also fails to go out on setting off.
Is this a case of dumping the servo as in the 1150gs, or is there something more obvious to be trying first ?

Bike only has 20 odd thousand miles from new, so seems worth "saving"

Thanks for any help
Worth bleeding the brakes and doing the servo with a gs911, also check wiring to the sensors/gap too.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If it was me I’d just de servo it. You could throw a lot of time and money at it and still end up with a unreliable system. JJH

Worth bleeding the brakes and doing the servo with a gs911, also check wiring to the sensors/gap too.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks Tractor !
I've got access to a 911 so will "borrow" it in the next few days and see what it throws up.

I’m not a expert but reading treads on here suggests that when the system gives trouble it can turn into a never ending saga. Remember when the servo fails you have next no brakes at all. Removal fixes it. JJH

I pretty sure that the servo motor runs when either of the brake light switches are triggered. That’s certainly the way it works on my bike.

Thereafter the force applied by either pedal or lever determines how much output pressure is applied by the servo pump to the brake callipers.

You probably know that the bike (R1150GS) has partial linked brakes, which means that when you apply the front brake lever, both the front and rear brakes are applied proportionally. This is not the case with the rear brake pedal, which only controls the rear brake, and has no affect on the front brake, Hence partial linked.

I've had the bike on a GS911 and the only fault now showing is the rear circuit is over pressurised (Showing 72 Bar!)
All other fault codes have cleared ok.
Any ideas on that one please ?

Personally I'd bleed a bit of fluid from the rear circuit and see if the fault replicates. These systems are also susceptible to levers not returning, low batteries and blown bulbs, check and clean before you start ripping things out.

Could be the rear brake hose is collapsing internally and working like a one way valve and not letting the fluid thru..my R1100GS started to do that and lock the rear brake ..ended up replacing with braided hose and all good

It could be that the pressure switch in the rear circuit of the servo has failed, giving a false reading. That's what had failed on my servo when I decided to remove it. I can't remember exactly what error I got on the GS-911, but it was something to do with pressure.

Likely that the rear circuit pressure switch is broken

De Servo

Trust me it's the way to go OR buy a new unit and get it fitted and you get a 2 year warranty as long as BMW fit it

I've had the bike on a GS911 and the only fault now showing is the rear circuit is over pressurised (Showing 72 Bar!)
All other fault codes have cleared ok.
Any ideas on that one please ?
Your getting sucked into this. JJH

Back
Top Bottom