BMW Extended Warranty - worthwhile or waste of money?

ChazzyB

Monstrous member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've received "the letter" at the end of the two year new bike warranty. This is the point I PX'd the last GS for new one just to avoid spending more money ;).

Is it worth it? Would I be unlucky for anything to go tits-up in a big enough way that the £100 excess is a bargain? Suspension looks like the future weak point, as they'll only cover shocks to 30K miles and my bikes having it's 24K service done as we speak.

Your views, on a postcard to... the reply button.

I've a 2015 bike so way out of warrenty.. and I've taken it back twice for issues. (didn't even buy it from BMW)
First one they did for free, the second (tapping inlet cam) I had to contribute £75 towards.. they covered the rest. (but what that does do for you is give you a 2 year warrenty on the repair so quite happy to do that)
I think they are very good as supporting people even out of warrenty if they know its a problem. if not you can always turn up the volume whilst complaining :)

There have been some stories online about BMW being good with goodwill so things like the shock failing after warranty period and still being fixed - look on Youtube for Missenden Flyer. Think I read something on this forum about it as well.
I was tole at the weekend it's about £40 a month which seems quite a lot but I guess it depends on your finances.

Not sure what I'll do but as new bikes come with a 3 year warranty now, I've got a little longer than you to consider it.

This was asked a few days ago in another place. My reply is to self insure. If we all had the foresight to put £30 a month into a savings account when we started riding bikes I bet we would all be in credit after a decade or two, if we used the money in the account to pay for unscheduled maintenance. In my case, I would have saved up over £8000 in my imaginary account and probably used less than half of that in repairs for items not covered in a normal service schedule. Since 1992 I have always had at least 1 bike and 1 car and often, like now, 2 bikes and the figures relate to all vehicles not just one bike.
The reality is that I have not saved that £8000 but if I get a big bill for one of the bikes (both 2016 BMWs) then that is what a credit card is for. I'm already £700 better off by not buying an extended warranty for each bike last year, and by September will have saved another £700 in warranty premiums.

Depends on the scenario, age of the bike etc. Last year for my £450 I had a new gearbox, clutch, final drive rebuild and drive shaft on a 60,000 miler :) So for me it was well worth it !

Depends on the scenario, age of the bike etc. Last year for my £450 I had a new gearbox, clutch, final drive rebuild and drive shaft on a 60,000 miler :) So for me it was well worth it !

Just worn out due to the 60K.. or something else ?

Two new sets of headers on my 2014 RT, due to exhaust flap stuck. £1200 a pop, but bizarrely not covered under the warranty, but done under good will. So in the last 3 years had the warranty but never used it.

33 months old gsa under extended warranty , front and rear esa shocks and left switchgear .................... including labour my bill would have been @ £3500 .

Worth it in my case

It also includes breakdown cover I'm still thinking about it !

I figure it depends on whether your personal circumstances allows for a fixed price for an extended warranty or if you, if they happen, on your own can handle larger sums without too much pain.

It´s all about managing risks based on individual circumstances. They sell extended warranties because they earn more from them than they spend, as a whole.

If that will be true on a specific bike or not is where the risk comes in ;)

Certainly not a waste of money, expensive, yes.
I cover 5 0r 6000mls of my 9000 a year riding abroad, I like to look at is as a 'get out jail free' card, hopefully it is a one phone call to get help on the way.
The cover is quite comprehensive and I have not heard any bad things about when people needed the service.
It is an insurance, and as such, seems cheap if you need to claim and expensive if you don't.

33 months old gsa under extended warranty , front and rear esa shocks and left switchgear .................... including labour my bill would have been @ £3500 .

Worth it in my case

Ah yes, but cover for shocks stops at 30K miles. That's in 6 months time for me.

I extended mine last week. My bike is two years old now and like you I thought long and hard about it.

I came to the decision that, because my dealer (the only one available to me without buying a ferry ticket) is a thieving git and charges ridiculous hourly rates and takes ages to find a fault even the smallest defect would cost me more than the £451 for the warranty. I had just had my second year service so there are no other financial obligations until the next option to renew.

I also considered the option to pay monthly. The full cover (roadside assist and no excess payment) was £451 or £44 per month. 44 X 12 = £528 so opted not to pay circa 20% extra. They take AMEX so its not like I'm really paying for it :augie

If I had a great dealer with experienced techs that knew their stuff I may have come to a different conclusion.

Took out extended warranty and about 4 months later the bike conked out 3 miles from home,the bike was picked up taken to Norwich and fixed. As far as I'm concerned its money well spent(£38 a month). You've got a modern BMW....... it will break down.

The way I look at it I've paid for my bike a 2015 gsa and just had the engine/gearbox and rear drive replaced by the fantastic guys over at cotswold bmw as a good will gesture due to corrosion of formentioned parts, even though I now have an additional 2 year warranty on parts fitted I always have a trip to Europe, one a year so the breakdown cover could be useful if needed and I don't really miss the monthly payments! Just another dd every month

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom