Desktop to Router - best with WiFi or Ethernet?

Micky

Never knowingly understood
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Since Day One I've used a WiFi connection from my Desktop to my BroadBand Router, but the thought arises would a cable connection be better, faster, safer, more secure?

I've no idea :rob

I could connect quite easily by cable

I've absolutely no idea, so suggestions gratefully acknowledged.

Thanks

:beerjug:

Since Day One I've used a WiFi connection from my Desktop to my BroadBand Router, but the thought arises would a cable connection be better, faster, safer, more secure?

I've no idea :rob

I could connect quite easily by cable

I've no idea, so suggestions gratefully acknowledged.

If this helps

A good ethernet cable will be better all round

We could wifi our work PCs but dont as cable is not a problem and is more secure and faster

This being my line of work, I would personally use a cable whenever I can, it's consistently faster and can not be monitored (unless someone is very determined indeed and can get physical access to it).

Not answering your question, but it’s also worth calling your broadband provider and telling them you wants price drop and more speed plus a new router.

The new Routers really are quick, we’ve gone from 35mbit to 180mbit with a router upgrade.

Depends on the speed of your broadband connection.
If your WiFi speed is waay faster than your broadband speed, then doubt you would see any benefit by switching to a cable.

Depends on the speed of your broadband connection.
If your WiFi speed is waay faster than your broadband speed, then doubt you would see any benefit by switching to a cable.

Until next door puts the microwave on.

My laptop is about 2m away from my router. My provider is sky and I may pay for 40 Mbps download. Out of interest I did a speed test on wifi and cable.

I get on average 37 Mbps on wifi and 39 on cable. So not a great difference. Cable has its benefits if your wifi is crowded by neighbours systems. Plus its more secure.

My friend has virgin fibre and gets 200Mbps plus. Ive seen it in action, amazingly quick. Unfortunately virgin doesn't cover my area.

Interesting guys .... thanks :thumb2

My desktop and router are close, you wouldn't even see the cable, so will give it a go :thumb2

Ta

Not answering your question, but it’s also worth calling your broadband provider and telling them you wants price drop and more speed plus a new router.

The new Routers really are quick, we’ve gone from 35mbit to 180mbit with a router upgrade.

Done that ... new Router from BT, Fibre Broadband package (starts tonight) all at no extra cost,; Had BT Sport for MotoGP some time now :D

and the verdict is.....

Quality Ethernet cable coming tomorrow .... will report back sir :thumb

and the verdict is.....

Bloody 'ell, what a difference :D

My download speed before going fibre, and with WiFi Mac desktop to Router was 18.5 ish, Upload 1.2 ish Mbps

With Fibre (to the box across the road, 400 yards away, copper wire in to the house)
Download is 40.22 and upload 8.5 Mbps

One helluva improvement :thumb

It certainly seems sooooo much faster :D

Numpty question ... do I leave the WiFi on on the desktop? If I do, the System Preferences show WiFi and Ethernet connections ... will it automatically use the fastest Ethernet? :nenau

Result :thumby:

Numpty question ... do I leave the WiFi on on the desktop? If I do, the System Preferences show WiFi and Ethernet connections ... will it automatically use the fastest Ethernet? :nenau

Personally, I'd switch it off on your Mac and on the router and opt out of BT wi-fi so that you're not broadcasting a signal to the rest of the world.

Personally, I'd switch it off on your Mac and on the router and opt out of BT wi-fi so that you're not broadcasting a signal to the rest of the world.

But I need WiFi on the Router (wouldn't know how to turn that off anyway) for my iPhone and MacBook ... don't I?

The Ethernet cable from desktop to Router is 1m length,(Metre not Mile) just not quite long enough really, so ordered a longer one.

Can return the 1m cable (Cat 8) no problem .... for full refund @ £6.99

If any lovely Tosser wants it, a fiver posted .... the things I do for this place :D

Right click the wifi icon in the right side task bar and select disconnect it should then use you wired connection

But I need WiFi on the Router (wouldn't know how to turn that off anyway) for my iPhone and MacBook ... don't I?

The Ethernet cable from desktop to Router is 1m length,(Metre not Mile) just not quite long enough really, so ordered a longer one.

Can return the 1m cable (Cat 8) no problem .... for full refund @ £6.99

If any lovely Tosser wants it, a fiver posted .... the things I do for this place :D

Told ya Micky cat 8 is soooooooooooo good

Back
Top Bottom