tank width

davnjud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an 1100 fitted with a 1150 adventure fuel tank. I've got arthritic hips and these play up on bikes where my knees are pushed apart by the fuel tank, though the GS is better than say a Pan in this respect. Anyhow does anyone have an idea if the bit of the tank between your knees is narrower on a standard tank or is the adventure tank only wider further forward with its bulging cheeks so swapping it would make no difference.
cheers
David

any difference at that point is negligible i think. i have both tanks and never noticed it being any wider at the knee with the adv one.

Not entirely relevant to the David's original question, but if anyone needs to know, the Touratech 41 litre tank is certainly much wider between the knees than the standard tank. I have/had arthritic hips, the left has been replaced and the right is now causing increasing problems. With the 41 litre tank I found I could only ride for 30 minutes or less before the discomfort forced me to stop. I have now switched back to a standard tank and the problem is much reduced. I have also increased the seat height and replaced my Fastway footpeg with an MFW vario footpeg system to further increase the legroom and this helped further reduce the pain. Before reverting to the standard tank and increasing the legroom I was seriously considering selling the bike as it was so frustrating not being able to use it how I wanted. I hope David finds something that works for him.

Thanks for the reply baggers. Arthritic hips are such a pain and I'm glad you solved yours. Touring bikes with narrow tanks are few and far between - I have a Ducati st4s which is much better but am balking at the £400 for necessary bar risers. Have just splashed £200 on some lowered pegs for my pan which I would hate to give up. I did manage to get some touratech peg lowers for my 1100gs on here some time ago and they definitely helped. Ibuprofen chapter indeed.

Back
Top Bottom