Byway and RUPP "Catalogue"

This is what I got from the IOM Dept of Transport (Highways Division)

30291774-M.jpg

Just transferred that to the OS map, for future reference etc

30291773-M.jpg

They gave me maps of all the byways etc, so I hooked out the ones that are open to vehicular traffic and put them on my smugmug account.

Clive said:
similar to wetroads - a difficulty rating is probably a good idea

1* Easy - in all weather conditions (e.g. for GS with Tourances/Novices)
2* Moderate - could be muddy in wet weather, sandy (e.g. for GS with TKC80s/Experienced)
3* Hard - deep mud, technical sections, steep hills (e.g. for Experienced GS riders in a group)
4* 'Kin Difficult - Pogosticks only

This may need expanding on - suggestions ?

When I started, I found deep ruts quite difficult, what do others class as "Easy" "Moderate" etc

I'd add:

5* Blue Sweeper Specials - the ones that mountain goats give up on!

:D

Greg

PS Great idea!!

did this idea die a death?

seems like a good one

Are you serious dude..... where the feck have you been, on a different planet!
A clue is in the title..... 'RUPP'
I suggest if your so out of touch but you need to locate what trails are left since the OP, you join the TRF.
It is the only way that someone so out of it can get up to date quick.....
Trailwise access is possible once you have joined the TRF, this gives enough detail to meet your trail riding needs...

T.

+1 Join the TRF and that will give you fuller access to the TRF Forum, most groups meet and have an organised ride at least once a month - :thumb

Im aware the RUPP situation but there are still plenty of byways that the catalogue could have listed so there is no need for the sarky comment.

I have considered joining the TRF but I dont always want to be spoon-fed routes and i'm keen to exercise my map and brain and try some local trails of which the TRF seem to neglect.

I dont doubt for a second there are some excellent byways, green lanes, boats, whatever up in the peaks but there are also lots all over the place that I would like to learn of and use and figure out for myself before paying somebody else to give me them.

There are some great projects set up in the south that list rights of way but nothing for the north which is massively disappointing so the original idea of a UKGSer catalogue seems still a valid good idea.

The TRF and the yearly fee go along way to help with the fight to keep the lanes open that you feel they will spoon feed you, joining the TRF also provides better access to Trailwise which would help you achieve your goal as more often than not the legal lanes aren't that easily identifiable on maps not that Trailwise is always up-to-date - :thumb2

The TRF and the yearly fee go along way to help with the fight to keep the lanes open that you feel they will spoon feed you, joining the TRF also provides better access to Trailwise which would help you achieve your goal as more often than not the legal lanes aren't that easily identifiable on maps not that Trailwise is always up-to-date - :thumb2

:thumb2
If you want to trail ride, pay the TRF subs, it really is that easy.....:nenau

Back
Top Bottom