cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
no satnav on this trip so used the old nav sat on the back

satnav5yj.jpg

nice road, the healey pass

niceroad3sk.jpg

i found these two at the top taking very strange photo's of their bikes. :confused: results unpublished i notice :D

wtf14mg.jpg

wtf23pb.jpg

pitched up at lahinch. world debut of the arc tarp.

tarpex20sf.jpg

came in very handy on the wet Saturday when many people (not shown) came to shelter & drink coffee.

tarpview5er.jpg

Saturday night, judge & john smith enjoying a light snack washed down with cider on ice, a new favourite of mine, or guinness of course :)

snacking6wp.jpg

matron preferred cake

matron1ml.jpg

nice shot of tuned, accidentally taken by mrs cookie while she was somewhat *refreshed*. eyebrows still evident.

tuned6jx.jpg

after lahinch, we moved on, with bill fanum to connemara, and the rather fine campsite on the beach recommended by madmountainman.

dunecamp1rl.jpg

here we engaged in manly, biker pursuits.

billnet25xl.jpg

cookienet13yd.jpg

i try to think of it as a hunting/fishing sort of thing :tosser

...and visited westport where we found this beast on a tree next to where we were enjoyng a lunchtime pint of the black stuff

wosat25ey.jpg

wosat8vm.jpg

anyone know what it is?

we were rather taken with the concept of filling up the bike & getting a pint while you pay

fillupandpint5oo.jpg

random view

conhouse5al.jpg

bill is definitely THE man to go camping with. how his marvelous cooking skills have gone unmentioned on this board is beyond me. when he left we had to go back to restaurants :(

billcook20or.jpg

since the restaurant in question was o' dowds in roundstone, which was (rightly) recommended by judge, we survived :)

while driving about we saw an estate agent sign for "irelands oldest village" for sale. we followed the 2km rutted & rocky dirt track to find that some renovation was probably needed

villagehouse22lt.jpg

villagehouse6hm.jpg

still, the views were nice

villageview8ou.jpg

and it came with 100 acres and 2 harbours and a boat

harbour4di.jpg

last one. a nice landscape ruined by the inevitable inclusion of some smelly old motorbike

bikeview1oi.jpg

Nice pics Cookie - good time had by all I believe :thumb

For anyone who wanted to see the view from the Sky Rd in Clifden without a bike :

Attachments

• Sky Road - Boreen'05.jpg
    Sky Road - Boreen'05.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 468
Hi cookie great pictures. The beastie you photographed is described below:-

The adult Wood Wasp, or Horntail, is named for the prominent ovipositor at the end of the females' abdomen. The ovipositor is about the same length as the abdomen. These wasps are also harmless and are common in conifer woods in July and August. The female drills a hole into fallen or damaged trunks to lay her eggs. The larvae develop inside the wood.

I see them in work from time to time I'm an EHO. People think the ovipositor is a great big sting and it scares the bejesus out of them......especially when you take the jar they have captured it in and let it out.......before explaining what it is :). They are bad news in forests as they can cause a lot of damage i.e the larvae eat lumps out of the trees. :)

Mzokk said:
Hi cookie great pictures. The beastie you photographed is described below:-

The adult Wood Wasp, or Horntail, is named for the prominent ovipositor at the end of the females' abdomen. The ovipositor is about the same length as the abdomen. These wasps are also harmless and are common in conifer woods in July and August. The female drills a hole into fallen or damaged trunks to lay her eggs. The larvae develop inside the wood.

I see them in work from time to time I'm an EHO. People think the ovipositor is a great big sting and it scares the bejesus out of them......especially when you take the jar they have captured it in and let it out.......before explaining what it is :). They are bad news in forests as they can cause a lot of damage i.e the larvae eat lumps out of the trees. :)

You're not joking they scare the bejaysus out of people...it was a mean looking beasty but it was amusing sitting there with a guinness watching the thing shagging that tree :D

Can one of you guys let me know where you get those "fuzzy" number plates from, I've tried everywhere, but everyone just stares at me blankly when I ask for one.....
:D

Back
Top Bottom