Road Closed - question

Mouse

Reaction score
I was out laning the other weekend, found a glorious track near Corwen in Wales. But half way along it, by a gate, there was a battered old "Road Closed" sign.

Question - how do I know if this is official, or just some farmer messing about? I had a look around but couldn't see any TRO notices (I was under the impression these had to be posted nearby but I may be totally wrong there).

On this occasion, I turned back, but how do I know for sure?

All the ones I have seen have "official" road signs on a pole listing date restrictions - sometimes with a document pinned up nearby for "temporary" closures for repairs or whatever. I'd probably treat a battered "Road Closed" sign in the same manner as a pile of brush and branches across the track - an unofficial attempt of the locals to put you off using it. Of course, most of my experience is of Berkshire, Hampshire & Wiltshire and they seem to be quite good at doing things properly - might be different in Wales ;)

It is amazing what some will get up to. I am sure down here in Cornwall where the local highways has set out to mark all byways as appropriate to DEFRA instructions someone has been taking great pleasure in removing the ones that possibly give access to vehicles.. :eek:

The "South Downs Conservation Board" have recently resorted to illegally installing metal gates, locked with a padlock across some of the rights of way here in Sussex. These get treated with the usual contempt that they deserve after the TRF write and ask for them to be removed and the letter is ignored. :D

The local council will have a rights of way officer who will investigate whether it is legitimate or not for you. Ours in Hampshire are brilliant and are pursuing a building firm who illegally blocked a path. They have assisted me in several questions over tracks and are definately on the side of all rights of way users.

see if you can get a copy of Augusts TBM,good bit in there about ilegal signs being put up by land owners and councils,saying" lane closed" when there not :confused:

as per my previous comment here is picture of said removed sign post, this one was up two weeks ago :D This one is only pushed over but most have the heads removed.

Attachments

• DSCF0460c.JPG
    DSCF0460c.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 248
Mouse said:
I was out laning the other weekend, found a glorious track near Corwen in Wales. But half way along it, by a gate, there was a battered old "Road Closed" sign.

Question - how do I know if this is official, or just some farmer messing about? I had a look around but couldn't see any TRO notices (I was under the impression these had to be posted nearby but I may be totally wrong there).

On this occasion, I turned back, but how do I know for sure?

Where is said track (grid ref.)? I'd be very interested to find out. A guy that I spoke to the other side of Bala the other weekend also suggested that there were plenty of unofficial signs knocking around the area. Seems to be a common practice.

hi mouse , was the track that was closed the wayfarers pass ? (runs from llanarmon dyffryn ceirog -cynwyd)i was planning a route over there myself this march just gone and it had the road closed signs on it then , mind you it didnt stop me ( there wewre no TRO Signs about ) i was on my own tho and about 8am on a sunday morning ;)
i was lead to believe they wwere doing repairs to improve the drainage but the jcb got badly stuck so wrexham council decided in their wisdom to close it tempoarily :mcgun .

im surprised to hear it still got the signs tho , maybe its just a case of 'forgetting 'to take them away to discourage use :mad: ill probably take a run over there in the next couple of weeks as im wanting to organise another run for the 650 site shortly .

i presume the loop at the the cynwyd end was still open ,thats a very good gs route with some great water crossings (maybe not in this weather tho !)

:beerjug: mike

I checked my map, and yes the road in question was the Wayfarers' Pass. I started at the west end (Cynwyd) and found the road closed sign by a gate just after the fork that runs south west towards Llandrillo.

We took the "loop" back towards Llandrillo, lovely track as you say, there was a bit of water but not a huge amount. Think I'll go back and ride the whole thing next weekend, given the absence of official signage.

P1010007.jpg

AdyJ said:
Where is said track (grid ref.)? I'd be very interested to find out. A guy that I spoke to the other side of Bala the other weekend also suggested that there were plenty of unofficial signs knocking around the area. Seems to be a common practice.

This Streetmap link shows the west end. I started by turning off the B4401 near grid ref 305,340 (unsure how to correctly write grid refs as used on that map) - the road that runs SE past Colomendy then through Rhos-y-maerdy.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Back
Top Bottom