U.S.bike on ADV rider

Le singe said:
This might be interesting.
The higher of each pair of curves is with 40mm Bings,the lowers,standard fuel injection.

attachment.php

Take a closer look at these graphs. Please notice there's hardly any torque below 3000 rpm. Isn't that what these engines are all about? I remember being able to chuff around at near idle, crank open the trottle as soon as the terrain allows, and smoothly drifft off. With these carbs that engine has become a high revving monster.

You'll see the torque curve for the carburettor equipped bike rises almost vertically at 3,500rpm ish,this doesn't indicate that there was no torque below this point,merely that this was the rpm it was decided to commence the readings at.You'll see this on a lot of dyno charts.
The standard torque and power curves disappear off the left of the graph at higher readings because the readings were started at less than 3K rpm.
The engine has not become a high-revving,(?), monster,the carburettor curves are parallel with the standard curves,you've 'just' got more.

Ok, point taken. I'd still be afaid (especially with flatslides) that low rpm pickup would be much less that with the stock injection (after all, isn't that te downside of ALL flatslides?).

Agreed,that's why I'm fitting 40mm Bings off an airhead first. These were used for the conversion dyno curves shown.

StooL said:
Correct me if I'm wrong
OK - you are wrong.
StooL said:
Carbs are infinitely more adjustable and can be setup to make the bike run as it was meant to.

Wrong. For expamle - Where is the engine and air temperature input to a carby?

StooL said:
I think the closest thing to carbs is a fuel injected bike fitted with a power commander, which does its best to undo the deliberately built in inefficiences of the motronic (moronic) fuel injection system.
No. I think that the bmw specified motronic system does a good job within the money spent on it. For a little more money it could be a much better system.

Back
Top Bottom