oil change problem

richardb

Changing my oil for the first time, all went well until I tried to open the filter housing, and my torx key broke. Talk about too tight!

So, I've re-filled it with new oil now, but still want to change the filter (with new torx bit). If I open up the housing, will all my oil pour out? Or with the engine and therefore pump off, will I just get what's in the housing itself?

thanks for the help.

Richard

You'll just get what's in the housing I assume. The pump ain't turning. I replaced the oil pressure switch today, which is located on that same housing. I spilled not a drop.

Max_Kool said:
You'll just get what's in the housing I assume. The pump ain't turning. I replaced the oil pressure switch today, which is located on that same housing. I spilled not a drop.

Yes, I think so too.
I have changed oil and there is coming only a little oil from the oil filter place.

You know you have to empty the engine and frame buy open the plug under the engine AND a in the frame - two places?
And to fill it up you have to fill some oil, start engine for a sec, and fill the rest.
And the engine HAVE TO be hot when you measure the oil! Take it for a ride and use the dipstick.

My Scarver is not like the other F's, I know, but it is the same engine and the oil-in-frame-system.

:) Liv.

sorted

thanks. I assumed this was the case but wanted to check. Changed the filter today with no problem. :)

Richardb,

You also have to undo the top fixings on the oil reservoir (under the left tank panel) bend it down to pour the oil out of the filler hole, otherwise you are only replacing about 1/3-1/2 the total oil capacity.

PB

Pondboy said:
Richardb,

You also have to undo the top fixings on the oil reservoir (under the left tank panel) bend it down to pour the oil out of the filler hole, otherwise you are only replacing about 1/3-1/2 the total oil capacity.

PB
The oil tank has a drain plug at the bottom, and I found that the bike leaning on its sidestand is enough to empty the tank.

For what it's worth after more that one week, I changed the oilfilter myself today. Indeed you only spill what's in the filterhousing. I'd suggest to lay the bike on it's left side during a filter change. That way you will spill less oil. :D

Back
Top Bottom