ADV topbox on GS?

matpp

Has anyone ever fitted an adventure topbox and base mount to a standard GS luggage rack. I realise they are not meant to be compatible but someone out there must have tried without changing the GS rack. HELP as I'm off for a tour around Spain on 1st Sept with bird who requires much luggage :confused:

I've fitted a couple onto standard GS's, while the owmers waited - it's all straightforward and takes 15 minutes ???

:thumb Thanks Steptoe, I'll bring the bike the full 1236.5 kms to Kingston. Will this afternoon do? About 3.00 pm OK? :rolleyes:

matpp

If you havn't already sorted it.

Have a look here

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2424&highlight=adventure+top+box

I didn't quite do it like this though as I thought the box projected too far off the back of the bike.

Remove seat and tool box cover.

Remove grab rail which also holds rear light unit in place.

The two lugs / hole guides on the top box plate that you see projecting over the back of the rack on the above thread (ones at back of mounting plate)- locate them over the oblong slots in the back of the rack, and bolt through.

Then line the front holes of top box plate roughly over holes where grab rail was. They do not line up exactly, but the length of bolts should allow you with a bit of tooing and frowing to get them through the holes and that's it.

The tool box cover needs a bit of force to get it back past the top box mounting plate, but I ended up cutting 1/2" of it.

The top box should fit snugly with the back of the seat, rather than stick out like on the above thread.

Good luck

darkhorse said:
They do not line up exactly, but the length of bolts should allow you with a bit of tooing and frowing.........

Ahh, you'd never know you were an architect Dave ;)

Thanks for the reply Darkhorse Dave, I sorted it in exactly (nearly) the same way yesterday. The only problem with this setup is the lack of grabhandle for the bird and if there is a way of fitting the topbox WITH the grabhandle, I agree, the box would protrude too far back.

:beer: :bounce1

Shouldn't need a grab rail with the box in place, as she is going nowhere.

You could of course put some sort of fabric / seat belt type material just by the box or between the two seat sections.

When the box is off, you can use the rail that the box fits in to.

Back
Top Bottom