Belfast rioting. Your comments please.

Sugarcube
Don't despair ol' son. The spell of nice warm evenings is over, these in my experience always led to the brave steet 'foot' soldiers being super active!
There is never much rioting in bad weather. Yes, we have our 'troubles' but theypale in to insignifigance compared to what England esp. London has being through and what it will undoubtly have to face again.
Ride your bike and enjoy yourself. :thumb
PS sorry i can't get out on your ride, another time maybe.
harry

Cheers Harry,

In regards to London, you're right but when next summer comes they'll be at it again.

Life is too short to have it spoilt by others who can't see what they are doing this country.

Possibly time to move on... I am young enough to come back if it doesn't suit us. I have lived in the Middle East for 2 years and came back in October last year to get married and have enjoyed almost all my time back here and getting back on the old bikes with my mates but I can't see this situation improving...only getting worse in my opinion.

Anyway, enough of the depressing stuff... hope to meet you again on one of the runs Harry. Is the leg improving?

Droopy Dick said:
Sugarcube said:
They are all tossers...both sides.

Fed up this place. Doubt things will ever change unless a massive sterilisatation program is put in place to stop the f**kwits breeding more f**kwits.

QUOTE]

We always thought the best thing to do with Ireland is to ship over all the undesirables from the mainland, then tow the whole bloody lot into the middle of the Atlantic and sink it.

'Course, it's a bit rough on the Irish who aren't shitholes, but sometimes you just gotta be cruel to be kind.

Mind you, we were even worse if we discovered bullet holes in our aircraft.
This will be my first and last post on the site.

The comments made by Droopy Dick are despicable! They not only lower the tone of the GS site, but they are also an insult to everyone North and South of the island of Ireland. They should be taken off the comments board.

[I"]Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

jello said:
Droopy Dick said:

The comments made by Droopy Dick are despicable! They not only lower the tone of the GS site, but they are also an insult to everyone North and South of the island of Ireland. They should be taken off the comments board.

Don't let that be your last post! We need fellow GSers from Ireland for ride outs. The majority of the boys here only seem to polish them :D

jello said:
Droopy Dick said:

Jello :)

"A trademark used for a gelatin dessert. This trademark often occurs in print without a hyphen:

“But you can't protect some dummies from themselves. So if they want to turn their heads into Jello, that's their lookout” (Mike Royko)." source

Please don't stop posting, you've just raised the intellectual profile of this thread into the conscious domain! ;)

Jello...don't be naieve mate, that's how it all works.

Someone posts something a bit extreme and someoine else counters it or smashes it or puts the opposite point of view.....at the end of the day, we seem to arrive at a fairly well balanced view of things and nothing much is taken personally.

If you think Droop's opinion is despicable, explain why and maybe suggest what YOU think the solution is..popping up and just saying someone's coments should be removed without explanation or arguing against them isn't going to do any good whatsoever.

Welcome aboard BTW ;)

on the up side the roads have been really clear around 6pm which is my home time so i get a nice clear ride :D

cheers

Sugarcube said:
Cheers Harry,

In regards to London, you're right but when next summer comes they'll be at it again.

Life is too short to have it spoilt by others who can't see what they are doing this country.

Possibly time to move on... I am young enough to come back if it doesn't suit us. I have lived in the Middle East for 2 years and came back in October last year to get married and have enjoyed almost all my time back here and getting back on the old bikes with my mates but I can't see this situation improving...only getting worse in my opinion.

Anyway, enough of the depressing stuff... hope to meet you again on one of the runs Harry. Is the leg improving?
"The more things change, the more they stay the same"
born in Belfast in the last year of the first half of the last century - 1949, bred on the Crumlin Rd, Rathcoole and again the Crumlin Rd, as a family we escaped each year, for the 12th fortnight, across the Border to the maternal farm in Monaghan.
The next door neighbour was a Master in the Orange Lodge. One of his three sons was the same age as myself and his best friend, and my friend, sadly died in the last few months a Passionist priest.
I went to Holy Cross Boy's School which was then up Ardoyne Avenue, past the Bus Depot, Glenbryn and Hesket - the site of the now infamous Girl's Primary School.
I played in Woodvale Park, my parents shopped on the Shankill, during the summer, we roamed over Carr's Glen and up the Cave Hill.
No part of Belfast was closed to me as a child or a teenager, except for the parks and cinemas on Sundays and when the Lodges marched.
I left Belfast in 1968 and moved to London.
In 1969, a mob ordered my family and other families in the street from their homes. Some of their neighbours cried when they left, others hide behind their curtains, others still joined the mob and pointed out the Catholic houses. The RUC stood watch across the street and when requested to intervene, turned on their heel and walked away.
My father was impotent to defend his family, my mother terrified for her husband and her children. The families joined the stream of other refugees and made their way to West Belfast.
As children, we were made aware always that we were different from our neighbours and that the same job opportunities would not be available to us. We would not find well paid skilled employment in Mackies, the Shipyard, Shorts, the Sirocco Works, Richardsons, in the textile and tobacco plants around Carrickfergus. These, and numerous others, were reserved occupations for the chosen people. Their future was assured by their religion, their advancement by their membership of the Lodge.
Our hope, our advancement lay in education. An educated person could find employment, but might not break through the establishment ceiling. Educated people for low paid admin jobs, in laboratories, in retail were in short supply, for you did not need little more the a primary education if you were one the the chosen.
I returned in 1969. With a grammar school education, I found work in the theatre, industry, the Civial Service and 3rd level education. My other eight siblings are all in full time employment, six of them in Belfast, some in senior positions.

Now, everything have changed. The heavy industry has all but gone, the old skills are no longer required, the traditional employment for generations is no more. The Ulster Unionist Party, the RUC, the B-Specials, the Yard, the power of the Lodge are all but blown away by the winds of change, diminishing memories of the glory days when you could triumph over your less fortunate neighbours and were encouraged, and facilitatied to do so, by your political masters and their organs of State.
A cold realisation is dawning, an anger, a fury, a rage within. The sense of betrayal is beginning. The veneer of superiority crumbling. The lie and deception is being reveal and they are in denial to their misuse and abuse. A giant had fallen, and lashes out in its death throes at both friend and imagined foe. The old try to cling to their misguided tradition, their misplaced values, todeny the change, and to fear for the future of their young. The young rage at the loss of their past and despair for their future. They are the dispossessed, unwanted and unloved by those to whom they pledge their allegience.
Their politicans fear them and try to perpetuate the lie, hoping beyond hope that they can roll it all back, doing yet another disservice to their electorate, clinging on to the last vestiages of their former glory. Their delusion continues, the old men do not go gently into the dark night.
A community is so blinded by its blinkered past, by its pride that it has not found the capacity for rational thought as to its future. Unable to look forward, it looks back to simple times.
If they are to go forward, they must rid themselves of the remnants of their past and abandon all their tainted self-serving politicans. Distant relatives moved to America and learning from their mistakes help found another nation.

There is hope, but not just yet.

Sugarcube said:
Great post Nud1e!

Hear hear! Excellent.

Nud1e,I hope you are wrong in your prognosis for the future but having seen "the troubles" at first-hand in the early 1970's, I suspect you will be proved correct.

Jello, regarding "Diminutive Dick's" comments, as an immature 18 year-old being spat at, stoned and sometimes shot at in "Andytown" in 1973, I might have espoused the same sort of thing but you should know that the vast majority of people on this site reject his view (they don't say so because he is the UKGSer village idiot! I'm sure you know the type?).

Great post nud1e..and thanks for it- as someone who's never been involved or touched by the 'troubles' (apart from the London Bomb campaigns) I'd never realised (or even given a thought to , in fairness) the reasons behind what's going on now.

I'd never realised things were like that there.

Bill

Well said Nud1e. Very articulate ans genuine. Yours should be the final post on this thread... it says it all !

Droopy Dick said:
Sugarcube said:
They are all tossers...both sides.

Fed up this place. Doubt things will ever change unless a massive sterilisatation program is put in place to stop the f**kwits breeding more f**kwits.

QUOTE]

We always thought the best thing to do with Ireland is to ship over all the undesirables from the mainland, then tow the whole bloody lot into the middle of the Atlantic and sink it.

'Course, it's a bit rough on the Irish who aren't shitholes, but sometimes you just gotta be cruel to be kind.

Mind you, we were even worse if we discovered bullet holes in our aircraft.

I'd like to know how Droopy gets away with posting this kind of crap without a word from the Moderators. I'm beginning to wonder if there is some sort of clique going on? Sad but true :(

DROOPY DICK...TWINNED WITH A VILLAGE IDIOT IN NAPLES

Ronno

Ronno said:
Droopy Dick said:
I'd like to know how Droopy gets away with posting this kind of crap without a word from the Moderators. I'm beginning to wonder if there is some sort of clique going on? Sad but true :(

DROOPY DICK...TWINNED WITH A VILLAGE IDIOT IN NAPLES

Ronno
]
everyone gets there say here...even the stupid ones

... it just makes them look stupid

don't you know you need tolerance over here
and no... it's not some new make of tyres :D

Back
Top Bottom