Gear shift indicator circuit drawing

ovenpaa

Reaction score
No it is not for the Adventure either!

I am after a shift light indicator circuit drawing (if that is what they are called) basically an LED that lights when the engine reaches/exceeds a set RPM, and stays on until revs drop below this point, a series of LEDs that light as you get closer to the limit is a bonus.

I could buy a pre built unit but it is for two separate bikes, they seem to be about GBP60 a set, and I am a pikey anyway!

So does anyone have such a circuit? Oh and it needs to be in very simple terms as well please as I am not an electronics buff, however I am a bit of a dab hand with a soldering iron.

Cheers.

Well, for a simple setup you'd need something like 2 frequency counters and a reference frequency generator and that's about it. Once you've taken into account making a PCB and the casing for it I'm guesing that 60 quid is probably about close to what you'd be spending anyway.
You could try something with an inductor / capacitor circuit to make a sort of analog voltage, or maybe even see if you can get to the alternator before it hits the regulator and use that output against a reference voltage (not sure how that would work with the alternator), which would make it cheeper but less accurate.

you can buy a chip from - i think Maplin which just needs a coil feed.

Has a row or green then red Led's

motomartin said:
you can buy a chip from - i think Maplin which just needs a coil feed.

Has a row or green then red Led's

I have tried every possible permuation and name and cannot find it on the Maplin site, I dont suppose you have a link do you?

Back
Top Bottom