17-09-05 Beta Software Update for Mapsource

BEWARE!!!!!

Be VERY AWARE.. i downloaded a Beta previously only to find that it's "licence" ran out :tosser (no mention it was a limited version when downloaded) and left me unable to use the program or roll back to the previously installed version.

Fortunately a non-Beta was released just after my problem which i could subsequently download and have had no problems since...

Personally i'll never download a Beta from Garmin again, had i been travelling i would have been caught short with no mapsource to plan my trip on!!!!

Just thought i should mention my experience as i'm sure others won't realise this potential issue, i certainly didn't until i was caught out by it.

HTH - Stu.

swebb said:
Be VERY AWARE.. i downloaded a Beta previously only to find that it's "licence" ran out :tosser (no mention it was a limited version when downloaded) and left me unable to use the program or roll back to the previously installed version.

Fortunately a non-Beta was released just after my problem which i could subsequently download and have had no problems since...

Personally i'll never download a Beta from Garmin again, had i been travelling i would have been caught short with no mapsource to plan my trip on!!!!

Just thought i should mention my experience as i'm sure others won't realise this potential issue, i certainly didn't until i was caught out by it.

HTH - Stu.

Cheers Stu

I must admit that I have downloaded it and saved it in a folder, but have done nothing else with it, for the very reason that you mention.

I seem to recall in a similar post some time ago that "Beta" updates can be a little bit prone to doing strange things. :(

As you suggest, another "proper" update will be along soon I suspect?

BTBR

bigtrailbikerider said:
I seem to recall in a similar post some time ago that "Beta" updates can be a little bit prone to doing strange things. :(
BTBR

This is the caveat of beta downloads (not just from Garmin, I hasten to add).
The whole concept of a beta release is to get an update or new release out of the internal testing environment and into the user's hands, in order that it can be tried in real world conditions. The hope is that there will be a 'few' reports back to the developers, detailing small bugs that can be ironed out before a final 'stable' release is let out into the wild.
Therefore, the beta release is not there to be stable.

I've found the latest release to be good, with no problems thus far on my laptop or desktop.

I had a quick look at the release notes for this beta, and it does not appear that 6.9 introduces any earth-shaking features. The only change I can see that would be helpful to us - the moto crowd - relates to improvements in the search behaviour for countries that use languages other than English.

There is a note at the top of the beta download page that states that there are two known problems with this beta. Chances are these are problems that have been reported by the beta testers since the release of this beta a few days ago.

I'm going to pass on downloading this beta - there's nothing there that I need, and I have enough on my plate already. The final release will probably be out in 7 to 10 days - might as well wait till then.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom