1200GS Backfire/popping on overrun

inhand

Hi

Has anybody experienced backfiring / popping on the overrun on their 1200gs? Mines doing it at the moment. Its 3 weeks old with 850 miles on the clock. I reported it at the 600 mile service, everything was balanced up, the dealer said they all do it a bit and its part of the character of the bike. Thing is it didn't do it for the first 300 odd miles (or maybe I didn't notice it). The exhaust is totally standard and no other mods.

Went to BMF yesterday and coming back on the A1 everytime I shut off for the roundabouts it was popping quite loudly.

Anybody else get this?

Yep, mine has done this since new. From what I can gather they all seem to do that and to be honest I rather enjoy it. :rolleyes:

I just love it ! Especially with a nice exhaust like my Leo Vince :)

Thank goodness for that, I thought i'd got a duff exhaust. As long as I'm not alone :)

POPEYE

...check the header pipes to cyl. head joints are tight. Air leak will cause popping.

You likely find that you're decelerating while still on part throttle. I reckon there's more than enough heat in the cat to get some secondary combustion downstream.

I run stock headers with remus can, no baffle. Did not pop until I got latest SW update/fuel map. Now I get a rumbling (not a backfire), but note if I intentionally close the throttle it pretty much stops. I used a throttle rocker II, and think I tend to leave the throttle cracked just a C-hair; with old map I never noticed it.

Regards

Backfire Bad ?

Is it bad though? Doesn't it mean that the engine is running too hot or something like that?

Flying GS said:
Is it bad though? Doesn't it mean that the engine is running too hot or something like that?

No all engines do it some extent or another - check out this link - about half way down the page - it gives a good explanation as to what's going on.

http://www.hondavtx.com/faq/faq.htm

Hope this helps

Yah - 'tis cool, innit.. :D ;) Next thing you should master is to do engine braking so you get small squeals coming off the rear wheel when entering roundabouts... Kids love it! :thumb :cool: :clap :D :D

popping on the overrun

Mine does it as well. Dealer suggested that I was not completely closing the throttle- but when I checked- I am :D

(no surging since software update June05 )

Does it best when going gently down hill and throttling off... >6K miles and has always done it.

I had a standard exhaust for ~8000 miles and it didn't backfire at all. As soon as I fitted my BOS exhaust (fantastic bit of kit BTW) it now backfires regularly and sounds grrrreat. Incidentally, I had a Remus can on my 1150gs and that would backfire alot too.

inhand said:
Thank goodness for that, I thought i'd got a duff exhaust.
....you have if you're still running the standard :) Put a Remus on it - overruntastic mate :cool:

Don't start :D

There's nothing wrong with the standard exhaust, unless you think that being offensively loud and screwing up the fuelling are desirable qualities :D

Back
Top Bottom