What tyres for 650GS?

inhand

Finally decided to ditch the Trailwings fitted to our 650GS. Any advice on other options? Currently going to go with Tourances are there any others worth looking at? Prefer a road biased tyre.

Tourances are fine on the 650 onroad (probably the best).

They are marginally ( say 10% better) on road than TKC's, dont like to put a figure on it but I doubt that they are any more than that sort of range better.

Offroad, including shit*y rural lanes, the TKC's are in my opinion way way above Tourances or anything else road biased.

In short, if you are 100% on road use Tourances, Any offroad, shitty roads at all, go for the TKC's and enjoy a huge grip advantage in all but close to the edge onroad stuff.

I'm with Riverking. TKC80's are hard to beat, in fact on the f650 I prefer them to Tourances, especilaly on rough road surfaces, as they are less twitchy.

The best road tyre I`ve used on a GS is a Michelin Anakee but they`re dearer than Tourances and dont last so long and I made the judgement that the small amount of better performance in the wet did`nt justify the extra expence so I`ve stuck with Tourance and have no complaints (other than the bad back etc)

I tried Pirelli Demon Sports last year. They grip like a Staffie and change direction so nicely that any countersteering becomes redundant. Good in the wet too. Downside is a short life with around 3,500-4,000 from the rear and 7,000 on the front. Tourances are very nearly as good and have more tread to start with.

Pirelli_Sport_Demons.jpg

PB

I use Tourances in the summer and Conti TKC80s in the winter. I find the Tourances a bit slippy on the lane come winter time.

At the moment I'm running Pirelli MT-21 on my F. On sand, gravel, forest roads and dirt they're good (enough for me). On the street they are only "ok".

I have a set of Heidenau K60 waiting to replace these MT-21. These K60s are my favorite "do-it-all" tyre. They perform quite good on the street, and as long as the sand doesn't get too desert-ish they perform good offroad as well. I think they are on a par with TKCs (but only cost about half as much).

bandjessssss2ea.jpg

This picture doesn't do justice to the tyres, the pattern is more aggressive than this picture shows.

arnt Heidenau the old phumant factory the ones who use to make the 100%
plastick tyres for mz two smokes ? ;)
i never heared of them wearing out when fitted to the front of the mz' :Ds :D

ps you'll have to let us know how the f handles on the road with them fitted :D

Will do, I've had them on my R1100GS, and they worked quite well. They only complained in short, fast corners by drifting the rear. Controllably, but yet still.

Will post an update once they are fitted and I have some km's on them.

brassmonkey001 said:
I use Tourances in the summer and Conti TKC80s in the winter. I find the Tourances a bit slippy on the lane come winter time.

Brassmonkey man, do you have two sets of wheels, or do you wear out your rubber in a timely fashion? (did I spell fashion right?, or have I had a little too mucxcsh single malt?)

Thanks for the info people. I think I'm going to take a chance with the Pirelli's suggested by pondboy.

Thanks

not really road biased tyres i know but ive currently got a tkc80 front and a heidenau k60 rear (as in max's pic) , ive done about 1000 miles on the heidenau so far and im impressed , pretty much as good as tkc 80 off road and no problems on tarmac even in the wet :thumb
really cheap as well ;)
i estimate i will get about 4-5000 miles from the rear heidenau , about the same as i got from my last tkc 80 .

cheers mike

ginger chris said:
Brassmonkey man, do you have two sets of wheels, or do you wear out your rubber in a timely fashion? (did I spell fashion right?, or have I had a little too mucxcsh single malt?)
Yeah, two sets of wheels.
Fashion is correct, but mucxcsh doesn't look quite right somehow. :D

Found Anakees much better than Tourances - wore more evenly, didn't square off and still gripped fine in the wet even when well-worn. Mileage near as dammit the same.

Tyre purchases etc

Keethy said:
Found Anakees much better than Tourances - wore more evenly, didn't square off and still gripped fine in the wet even when well-worn. Mileage near as dammit the same.

Sorry to hijack this thread - but whlist we're on the subject of tyres, and for future reference, does anyone have a good dealer in North London (or near there) for Tourances; Anakee etc --- the ones that seem to be talked about ALOT!!
Ta very much from a 650 owner (new)

sillymoo said:
Sorry to hijack this thread - but whlist we're on the subject of tyres, and for future reference, does anyone have a good dealer in North London (or near there) for Tourances; Anakee etc --- the ones that seem to be talked about ALOT!!
Ta very much from a 650 owner (new)

http://www.merityre.co.uk/ have a number of branches in and around London.

I've used the Witney branch. Very good service. They can do a ride in, ride out service at some branches. I was quite surprised when they got a book out to look up the torque settings. I never seen a torque wrench used in another tyre bay.

wessie said:
http://www.merityre.co.uk/ have a number of branches in and around London.

I've used the Witney branch. Very good service. They can do a ride in, ride out service at some branches. I was quite surprised when they got a book out to look up the torque settings. I never seen a torque wrench used in another tyre bay.

Hi - thanks for that although there don't actually appear to be any branches in London - let alone North London -- I just checked the website -- perhaps I have miss read their map? Any more suggestions from anyone? Ta Wessie -- happy riding!
Moo!

:D just been given 6 tyres part worn :D
2 tkc rears 1 19 in front
1 21in front
an a pair of sahara's :D :D only have had 1 mil of wear :D :D :D
has any one tried the later on a funduro? :D

sillymoo said:
Hi - thanks for that although there don't actually appear to be any branches in London - let alone North London -- I just checked the website -- perhaps I have miss read their map? Any more suggestions from anyone? Ta Wessie -- happy riding!
Moo!

I though Kingston is in Greater London?

Admittedly it's not Norf Lunnon but it's only *just* south of the river :)

Pirelli

Pirelli MT21's
Skittish on wet tarmac though - :thumb for adrenaline! :D

Attachments

• mt21 rear.gif
    mt21 rear.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 137
  • mt21front.gif
    mt21front.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 107

Back
Top Bottom